If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sport and HCM update

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

rob drent Find out more about rob drent
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sport and HCM update

Just to clarify a few things from my last post. I am seeing a Cardiologist, who did post graduate training in the States. I have now recieved a letter from him. He says I have HCM affecting mainly teh apex and posterolateral walls of the left venrtricle walls. The likelihood o developing an outflow obstruction is low. I have a maximum wll thickness of 2 cm and no evidence of arrhythmias. I asked him how bad is my dondition in teh range of HCN sufferers and his written response was: "I would put you at the benign end of the spectrum."
    I asked can I play squash again? He wants to do a Holter monitor for 24 hours including while playing competitve squash. "We are hoping of course to rule out any significant rhythm abnormalities with very vigorous exercise." He has recommended I don't undertake scuba diving, mountaineering or skydiving.
    He also wants my son (11) tested when he is 15.

Re: Sport and HCM update

Rob, I'm only going to comment on your son being tested. In my opinion, you should start testing him now. Adolescence is when most cases of HCM are discovered. At 11 he should start being tested now and continue to be screened every 12-18 months until he is either diagnosed or he is in his early 20's. If he's still clear by then he can go to an every-5-year schedule. There are some cases of HCM that aren't detected until later in life, even when being consistently screened.

Reenie
    Reenie

Husband has HCM.
    3 kids - ages 23, 21, & 19. All presently clear of HCM.

Comment

Rob,

Reenie is right. There is no reason to wait on screening your son when you have confirmed HCM. My brother was diagnosed at eight, and he was a skinny little runt of a kid. I was diagnosed at 13. My cousin was diagnosed somewhere before 11, too and his son as well.

take care,

S

Comment

Rob,

I've got apical HCM with about the same measurements and I'm a 33-year-old, otherwise healthy man. Competitive sports are not something that we should be doing in our condition. One of the world's leading experts, Dr. Barry Maron, has suggested this advice and since he's been studying this for many years and knows his stuff, I'm taking his advice.

I played competitive sports for a while and I assume squash is something you enjoy. It's not easy to give up a sport you love, believe me. I'm still sad. But every time I look at my girls running out to meet me in the driveway to come home at night, it reminds me why I'm no longer thumping my competitors like bugs. (note: now I just do it on the computer playing online games!!!)

Having said all this... I know there are several on this board who participate in various sports and yes...we are all different. But, I think the overall recommendation is no competitive sports. It's a real struggle sometimes for me to follow the advice vs. just simply living my life but I always choose LIFE.

Please keep in touch with me since we seem to have the same form of HCM and it is RARE. I have a list of those of us with apical HCM so we can keep tabs on one another and maybe find some similarities that will help all of us as a group.

Good luck!
        Tom Mc.
        Apical HCM

Comment

Tom,
          Your post is very accurate yet still a bit hard for some to adjust to. Thank you for your input.
          Lisa
          Knowledge is power ... Stay informed!
          YOU can make a difference - all you have to do is try!

Dx age 12 current age 46 and counting!
          lost: 5 family members to HCM (SCD, Stroke, CHF)
          Others diagnosed living with HCM (or gene +) include - daughter, niece, nephew, cousin, sister and many many friends!
          Therapy - ICD (implanted 97, 01, 04 and 11, medication
          Currently not obstructed
          Complications - unnecessary pacemaker and stroke (unrelated to each other)

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
          X