If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Exercise and HCM

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

Cappy HCM and myocardial bridge patient, also have primary progressive MS Find out more about Cappy
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exercise and HCM

As a newly diagnosed HCM patient (March 2003), the hardest part was cutting back/eliminating exercise from my once normal life. Up until December of last year, I was running 125-140 miles a month, cycling about 100 miles a month and lifting weight 3x a week. Now I am only riding the bike around 100 miles a month (~30 minutes per session), and my running days are all but over. I am very lucky according to my doctors, I ran my one and only marathon in November 2001 (not knowing at all of my condition nor having any symptoms) that in and of itself was impressive according to my cardio's.

Giving up something that I loved so much has been the hardest thing. At least I can still ride, but its only a small consolation at this point.

Re: Exercise and HCM

Is Sharon Hill near Hershey? I have family in Hershey. Anyway, I can relate all too well. I also LOVE to exercise. It's very difficult to be so "stationary". Of course, to some we are still very active. Checkout some of the discussions in the thread "Active sports and HCM - A recipe for disaster?" for more on how I feel and why it is important to regulate our activities (and get a doctors opinion on those we continue to do). With so many athletes with HCM, maybe we should have a HCM marathon to raise money? (Just kidding)....

-Darren

Comment

Originally posted by Celtic
      Is Sharon Hill near Hershey? I have family in Hershey. Anyway, I can relate all too well. I also LOVE to exercise. It's very difficult to be so "stationary". Of course, to some we are still very active. Checkout some of the discussions in the thread "Active sports and HCM - A recipe for disaster?" for more on how I feel and why it is important to regulate our activities (and get a doctors opinion on those we continue to do). With so many athletes with HCM, maybe we should have a HCM marathon to raise money? (Just kidding)....

-Darren
      About 1.5 hours away from the Hershey area. Thanks for the discussion ideas, I will check them out.

Greg

Comment

Have you been evaluated at a specialty center like Mayo or Cleveland clinic?
        I have been a workout fan, at least weights 3-4times a week, but haven't been doing anything for last year. But during by trip at Mayo, they did O2 treadmill on me and an exercise expert sits down with you and goes through all the allowed forms of exercise.
        The cool part is that all the people including physical trainers are familiar with HCM and have the experience to recommend.
        In fact they can set up a workout plan for you. In my case they asked me to increase my level of physical activity and use it as a bench mark for future on what I can and cannot.
        If you haven't been to specialty clinic, it is absolutely worth it.
        Ketan Thanki

Comment

I was just at the Minneapolis Heart Institute this past Wednesday (07/23) and saw Dr. Maron. One of his nurses gave the book him and Lisa wrote and I googled for the HCMA and found this site.

I have had 4 stress test in as many months and I have syncoped on all of them. I entered a Cardiac Rehab program about 6 weeks ago, but it was d/c'd by the nurse until the doctors come up with some sort of treatment plan. Right now I using the rehab guidelines, a heart rate monitor, and a lot of common sense.

Comment

Cappy,

Sorry to learn about your HCM. I too love exercise. I just wanted to encourage you that although you can't do exactly everything you want right now, that you can still do some stuff unlike me.

I'm almost 32 wks pregnant and last Thursday, because my baby is having problems, I am now in the hospital. I have no idea how long I'll be here. I don't have HCM rather Left Ventricular Hypertrophy, which should be reversible for me. We'll know more at the end of the year if after laying off the weight lifting if the hypertrophy is diminished.

Because my baby was having some issues earlier in my pregnancy, in May'03, the doctors' restricted me from exercise. I had been exercising 6-7 days/wk and LOVE, LOVE exercise. That was tough and some depression set in, but at least I was able not confind to the bed as I now am. I hope that I will not be here for more than a week or so and that the baby will be doing better.

Consider yourself fortunate to not have to be on bed rest like me. Stay encouraged.

~Doris
            Blessings,
            Doris

Comment

Hope you feel better real soon. Best of luck with your new baby

Comment

Cappy,

Thank you. Just taking one day at a time.
                Blessings,
                Doris

Comment

If you are passing out on treadmill tests then it is not a good idea to be too active at this time. I would guess you are working with your docs on medication issues?
                  Had you passed out prior to the tests?

Lisa
                  Knowledge is power ... Stay informed!
                  YOU can make a difference - all you have to do is try!

Dx age 12 current age 46 and counting!
                  lost: 5 family members to HCM (SCD, Stroke, CHF)
                  Others diagnosed living with HCM (or gene +) include - daughter, niece, nephew, cousin, sister and many many friends!
                  Therapy - ICD (implanted 97, 01, 04 and 11, medication
                  Currently not obstructed
                  Complications - unnecessary pacemaker and stroke (unrelated to each other)

Comment

Originally posted by Lisa Salberg
                    If you are passing out on treadmill tests then it is not a good idea to be too active at this time. I would guess you are working with your docs on medication issues?
                    Had you passed out prior to the tests?

Lisa
                    We are working on the medication issue, yes, and I am attempting to schedule an ICD implant.

Never passed out before in my life.

Comment

Giving up my sports is one of the biggest struggles that I'm having with hocm. I have been a competitive athlete all my life and always in team sports (soccer and ice hockey). I continued playing through my late 20s until my diagnosis and was then forced to give up. I know that I should be happy that I didn't drop dead on some field when I was 16 but that is really not much of a comfort to me. To be a lifelong competitive athlete and then have it yanked away is difficult to come to terms with. I still haven't, frankly. Since my symptoms are minor and never coincide with exercise, this is still difficult for me to grasp.

On top of it all, I really dislike all of the light exercise that I'm supposed to do (light jogging, biking and swimming).

The one good thing that came out of this is that I now know why I could never develop high levels of endurance in spite of my training levels. I went through every respitory test in college to see why I couldn't keep up with my teammates on long distance runs. Now I know.

Comment

Working...
                      X