If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HCM, Anxiety and Panic.... Is there a correlation?

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

Darren1 My real name is Darren, I have HCM and am a VERY active person that loves to exercise. Find out more about Darren1
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interesting. The big question is how to understand the molecular/cellular processes involved in pathogenesis - more insight on that would lead to an understanding of how certain mutations lead to HCM.

Unfortunately, I can say this, but its quite far from anything I do research on - so I'm definitely saying it from an armchair. Watching reruns, yelling at the screen. That said, this is a tall order.
    Myectomy on Feb. 5, 2007.

Comment

:>) LOL! I'm with you! And what it is even more frustrating for me is that I do not have the credentials that you have, so I am not taken seriously.

Thank you!

Comment

Thanks for the article! It clarifies for me what you were trying to get across about the association you are finding with adrenalin and HCM....Your extensive research is appreciated. It's very hard to know exactly what the myocardial abnormalities are in any given case of HCM without resorting to cardiac muscle biopsies. This makes research difficult except in animal models. I had the "fortune" of having muscle removed during myectomy ( I even requested pictures ). So I was able to read the pathology report. Muscle disarray was part of the report but hypertrophic cells and fibrosis were another huge part. So the causes whether genetic or environmental or mixed ..... Seem to be a combination of cellular abnormalities.You spoke about athletic heart... But I had hypertension for many years before I started on meds for it, hypertension can cause hypertrophy but not necessarily disarray. ..... I haveafeeling that there will remain questions for a long time. In the meantime what I understand is that regardless of cause, the standard of treatment remains the same....Sigh.......
        Last edited by JillC; 04-08-2016, 11:48 AM.
        After years of symptoms:
        Officially Diagnosed HOCM 2006
        Myectomy 3/11/13 at non-COE
        Extended Myectomy 7/23/14
        At Mayo with Dr. Joseph Dearani

Comment

Thank you Jill for your feedback and contribution. I hope my stubbornness has not offended you as I think you have a kind spirit which is evident in your posts. I appreciate you taking time with my posts.

I have a lot more research studies saved in PDF format regarding adrenergic effects on HCM. The one I shared is the most concise and in txt format. My privileges at this web site do not allow me to upload the PDF documents. I can share them through PM if you are interested?

I am doing my best live a "normal" life style. The beta blockers have slowed me way down but I am still active. The episodes of A-Fib are less frequent which good! It could be worse. I am thankful for my new friends at the HCMA and their valuable feedback!

Comment

Offended? Of course not.... Hope I didn't give you that lmpression! We are all in this together along with our docs and the researchers.....One foot in front of the other....as you say just working to get to as "normal" a state as we can.
            Knowledge is power.
            After years of symptoms:

Comment

It is embarrassing for me to write this, but I have not left house in over 6 years, because of severe panic attacks and agoraphobia....I was diagnosed with HCM about 7 years ago....I started out fine, thinking this was not a big deal...One day, I was about to go for a drive and had a bad panic attack and of course, my heart rate went through the roof, and I truly thought I was going to die, right then and there...My HCM has got the best of me, and even though I know it's just a "panic attack", it makes my heart rate go crazy, then the palpitations start, etc, etc....So, I can't tell if the panic attack is going to set off a heart attack or not, so I have not put myself in that position in many years....The worse part is, I have a wife and 3 kids and I know they suffer because of my lack of participation.....I also have not been back to the cardiologist in about 6 years....Is there a medication that can help with the panic attacks, without speeding up my heart rate???...All the "anti depressants" I have seen come with "fast heart rate" as a side effect....Will blood thinners help ease the sudden increase of heart rate during a panic attack??
              Thanks for any help!!!

Comment

Hello Ed....Please don't ever be embarrassed to talk about something that has so drastically limited your ability to enjoy life. When we are embarrassed, we hold back on seeking the help we need. Your post does not say if you had " panic" attacks before your HCM was diagnosed.....and if you haven't seen a doctor in 6 years are you sure they are " just" panic attacks.
                You really do need to leave the house and get properly diagnosed so you can get properly treated. It is sometimes very difficult to tell if the rapid heart rate caused the anxiety or if the anxiety caused the rapid heart rate.
                A good rule of thumb I have found is to always make sure physical problems are taken care of before assuming there is a psychological problem. If I were you I would get the HCM evaluated and treated at an HCM Center of Excellence. You may need medication for your heart rate or rhythm. From there ask them for recommendations on some one to see concerning anxiety and panic if it is still an issue.
                After years of symptoms:

Comment

Hi Ed,
                  Just to add to Jill's comments: no, blood thinners won't help here. It's not impossible that beta blockers would help (since they're reducing the effect of adrenaline), and they're typically the first drug used for HCM, but really, Jill's advice is solid: you really need to see a doc, and in particular one of the HCM centers of excellence.

Gordon
                  Myectomy on Feb. 5, 2007.

Comment

I never had anxiety, or panic attacks prior to being diagnosed....The reason I think they are panic attacks, is because I am fine before trying to leave the house, but as soon as I get into a car, or try to walk anywhere, I get the huge spike in my heart rate, get dizzy and think I'm gonna die...Even though, it's mainly in my head which triggers it, I can't control it...As soon as I am back in the house, the fear and panic go away, and it takes about 10 mins for me to calm back down...
                    Yes, I really need to get back to my cardiologist, but not being able to leave the house, make it near impossible...
                    It's a vicious never ending circle, thinking that my panic attack, will turn into a heart attack, because of the HCM...My resting heart is usually 63-65...In panic mode it goes to about 125 (which feels like 200)...I dont know the "danger zone" with heart rate and HCM...
                    I have a regular "doctor" that comes to see me every 6 months or so and says that I'm fine except for the HCM. (lungs, kidneys, thyroid,liver)..Should I ask him about a Beta blocker??..Is beta blocker the one, that can cause a stroke, if you stop taking them?
                    Thanks again for your help!!!

Comment

HI EVERYONE, I havewritten toTufts but without my medical records ,they cannot offer meany answwers. However,reading these posts , I believe some of you may be able to help me prove my theory which all the cardiologists i deal with seem to blow off. Here goes....I am a 56 year old construction worker, i have always lived a very energetic lifestyle. I can out work most youngmen in my field. In Dec of 2012, i had my head crushed under a piece of equipment. 2 weeks later I started having "episodes" or "events" as some like to call them.Everytime these would occur, my head would plug up painfully, I could not hear much over the buzzing in my head,the pain went from one point of contact to the other (of the accident) as years went by and my neurologist was geting nowhere, i asked for a cardiologist because i could feel the strain my heart was taking. they found I had HCM and naturally blamed all the other stuff on that. This also sent my worker's comp claim into the garbage can. Has anyone found any corilation between head trauma and hcm materializing when otherwise dormant, please respond . monday i go for a Septal Myectomy which should help ( but if the HCM was triggered by head trauma how can i be sure it wont continue to thicken my heart muscles? mike [email protected] gmail.com

Comment

Hi, I am so sorry about your injuries. I have never heard of head trauma " triggering" HCM. It may just be an unfortunate coincidence. If you are being seen at Tufts for your HCM you have some of the best resources in the country. They should also be able to verify for workmans comp that your HCM is not causing your neurological symptoms.
                        After years of symptoms:

Comment

Could these be the side effects of some pills you are taking? I had it. My doctor changed the treatment and it helped me.

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
                          X