If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HCM, Anxiety and Panic.... Is there a correlation?

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

Darren1 My real name is Darren, I have HCM and am a VERY active person that loves to exercise. Find out more about Darren1
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: HCM, Anxiety and Panic.... Is there a correlation?

This is a very complex issue. I do kind of hesitate to talk about this--but, in an effort to help others--I will. My husband suffered from some pretty serious mental issues these last 3 years--even probably the last 6 years. He had started suffering migraines, having disturbing thoughts, depression, anxiety--lots of anxiety. They did a CAT scan after he had some pretty severe migraines--one an ocular one--where he lost his vision for a brief time. They found a "spot" on his brain--they just dismissed it--which bothered me--I mean--that's not normal--right? Anyway--in talking to my son's psychologist--who is helping us deal with Chuck's death--he said "I wonder if he didn't suffer from a physiological breakdown?" There are so many correlations between one health condition and another. I think if you have this condition that you should really be so aggressive in trying to find out what's going on. I look back now--hindsight, you know--and wish I knew then what I know now. Knowledge IS power. Explore every avenue. Best of luck to you all,
    Roxann

Comment

Dear Roxann,

I'm glad you have good support around losing Chuck.

I can't tell you how many times I've had (or heard about) a doctor saying "oh, well, that [clearly not supposed to be that way thing] is normal." Like a lump in your breast, or stabbing pain, or a dilated kidney, or take your pick.

The worst part is that it just isn't possible to challenge a doctor on every little thing; it is impossible to go back and say, "if onlly we'd known." Well, if we had medical degrees, we might have. Yes, I'm clearly bitter as most of my family is either dead, disabled, or damaged from medical malpractice --and we were seeing "the best" in our area.

That being said, their are good --and great-- doctors out there and Lisa vets each and every doctor she recommends.

You have my sympathies; I know a bit about how you feel.

take care,
      S

Comment

It's a bummer to hear that so many of us have to deal with anxiety as well as HCM! I'm no doctor.. or shrink for that matter. However, I have seen a few of each over the years and think it's difficult to discern anxiety as a symptom of other issues, and as it's own illness. Perhaps some people are predisposed to it while others couldn't get anxious if they fell out of an airplane without a parachute. It is great to hear from all the brave ones who are sharing their experiences with anxiety/HCM. While my first experience with anxiety began durning a VERY stressful time in my life (and perhaps if I was not "wired" such that I am vulnerable to attacks then it would have eventually just gone away), this led to a full blown panic attack during which I was SURE I was having a heart attack. Looking back, I do doubt that I had a problem with my heart (that caused me to panic that day). The ER folks checked my heart and saw nothing abnormal on the monitor. (of course a couple irregular heartbeats caused by HCM just prior to the panic attack could have helped me freak out and increased my anxiety to the point that a panic attack occured). Bills post earlier in this thread describes the circle of anxiety/increased hear rate/more anxiety/even more increase in the hear rate. It doesn't seem like too large a stretch to think that anyone with a problem with their heart could also have it effect their mind (blood flow issues.. less than perfect oxygen supply to the brain..etc). I personally had panic attacks and anxiety YEARS and YEARS before I knew about HCM. I also learned to skydive (with a parachute) during that time in my life (perhaps to try and prove something to myself?). At any rate, I was able to become certified at skydiving but the anxiety persisted and now at 34 years of age, I've learned that I have HCM... go figure (the anxiety/panic has been managed with meds for years now and (thank The Lord) I outgrew skydiving after only 33 jumps). The number of responses to this thread seem indicate some sort of relationship between HCM and anxiety... I think I will start a poll so that anyone who is less than comfortable talking about mental issues can at least anonymously share if they have had any long term problems with anxiety/panic and also have HCM. Thanks again for the comments. Maybe it's my cynical side, but I definety think that the Lord has a sense of humor.. personally, the last person that I'd give a "nervous" disorder would be someone with a bad heart. Such is life, I guess that He just gives the challenges to us because we can handle it! Sorry I got so long winded! Look for the Poll and VOTE.

-Darren

Comment

Posting a Poll?

Perhaps someone with permission to post polls could create one something like this...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          In addition to HCM, I have had anxiety and/or panic attacks for more than 1 year.

Yes (I have had anxiety/panic)
          No (no anxiety/panic)
          Not Sure
          ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

Hi Jim,
            1) Yes, 30 years ago I went to several Cardiologists before being properly diagnosed. They all said I was just suffering from anxiety attacks and that I should go to my GP and get some meds for that
            Actually after I was diagnosed they got worse for awhile.
            2) Personally in my case I don't believe there was an existing anxiety condition, I believe it was brought on by the HCM and the bodies natural response to some thing going wrong. Back then I did not have the experience of knowing what was happening so anxiety came as it pleased, but over the years you learn what to expext and how to handle it and it has been many years since I had an anxiety attack, and yes they do feed off one another.
            3) Yes, I believe so.
            Every great thing that has ever happened since the beginning of time has started as a single thought in someones mind.
            So if you are capable of thought then you are capable of great things
            Good luck and stay well.
            Glen

Comment

Some of us are reluctant to discuss anxiety attacks because anxiety attacks usually have a psychological cause -- they result from unreasonable fears. Let's say you suffer from agoraphobia; you leave the safe confines of your home, step outside, are overcome by an unreasonable fear of open spaces and you get a huge adrenaline rush that makes your heart pound, makes you pant and gasp for air, and fills you with terror.

For some with HCM, your body gets fooled into thinking your heart isn't delivering enough blood, so you get a huge adrenaline rush designed to make your heart work harder. The side effect of that is that your heart pounds, you pant and gasp for air, and you become filled with terror.

Your body can't differentiate between a PSYCHOLOGICALLY caused adrenaline rush and a PHYSIOLOGICALLY caused adrenaline rush. Anxiety results in either case. But HCMers don't benefit from Valium or counseling (well maybe SOME of us do)...

:P

I'm not a doctor and I certainly don't mean to present this explanation as medically accurate. This is just the way I've come to understand my own symptoms.

Bill

Comment

Hi All,

I guess the answer to my questions earlier in the thread is... all of the above. It seems perfectly logical that someone with HCM could also coincidently have anxiety disorder, and that the two certainly would feed off each other. Looking back now, i don't think i actually did have the disorder at all. My HCM meds have calmed down my heart to the point where frankly i don't seem to get very anxious about anything at all anymore, which has also been bad in a way. I do have to say that the old overclocked ticker used to get me going when things needed to be done. The new and improved, 'calm-hearted' Jim isn't quite as speedy and efficient.

Thanks

Jim
                "Some days you're the dog... some days you're the hydrant."

Comment

For me: As a child I had anxiety attacks and panick attacks but didn't know what was happening to me which of course made them worse. My parents were very old fashioned and believed that not talking about something made it go away. Through the years I've learned to deal with things differently because I'm older and done research on why I feel the way I do sometimes. Whether or not HMC has anything to do with panick attacks is extremely important. What if the pain and suffering of panick attacks and whatever else follows can simply be prevented through screening for HMC???? If the heart isn't pumping properly...Is is possible that not enough serotonin is getting to the brain??? If there is a connection. SO MANY PEOPLE CAN BE HELPED..... I don't know! What do you think?
                  Tammy

Comment

I am actually taken some anti-anxiety medication to help. My HCM diagnosis is still relatively new though. My doctors told me it will get easier with time. I hope so.

Comment

Well, I believe that just not getting enough oxygen to the brain because of HCM is probably just one of the reasons for this kind of thing. If your heart is not pumping efficiently, then obviously there is not sufficient oxygen being distributed throughout the body--the brain. I think it would be interesting if there were more studies done on this. While my husband may have been pre-disposed genetically to some mental health issues--I truly believe that his HOCM was a factor--if not biologically--at least mentally--I'm sure you all can relate. I remember the fear in Chuck's eyes when his palpitations were very severe--having those kind of symptoms day in and day out for years will wear on a person mentally, as well as physically. I don't know--that's just my thoughts this evening. I hope some research can be done on this subject.
                      Roxann

Comment

I think you are onto something. I was wondering about this myself...I have anxiety and panic attacks and think that part of the reason my hcm got out of control is that nobody could tell the difference between an anxiety attack and my hcm symptoms. Now that I am sober and on zoloft I am calm enough to know that something is really wrong because I have no anxiety any more. I would guess that there is enough evidence for you to research it. Perhaps one of our polls on this site could ask this question? Lisa is the one to ask.
                        Alcohol ablation January, 2004. Stent placed, September, 2003. Now...at age 53...working out, building a cabin, sober and clean. A 2nd chance at life. There is hope, there is a future. Have faith.

Comment

Martin,

I hope you don't take this the wrong way, but please allow me to congratulate you on becoming sober. I am from a large Irish Catholic family, and well, getting drunk has been a favorite pastime of my family's for many many years. It's a hard thing to overcome, and especially inportant to those of us with HCM. You should be applauded for your hard work (and it is) in overcoming the alcohol addiction. I only hope that i can be as successful in my abstinence.

Take care,

Jim
                          "Some days you're the dog... some days you're the hydrant."

Comment

Being sober has enabled me to deal with the latest medical issue; not as a crisis but as a blessing. I believe that my Higher Power has more for me to do here and I need to be healthy to do it. I really think that nothing happens by accident. If you ever need to talk to another alcoholic, email me and I will give you my phone number. [email protected]. We are all in this together.
                            Alcohol ablation January, 2004. Stent placed, September, 2003. Now...at age 53...working out, building a cabin, sober and clean. A 2nd chance at life. There is hope, there is a future. Have faith.

Comment

Hello, this is Lisa H and I'm new. I was diagnosed with HCM 10 years ago at age 32. I can't say I've ever had panic attacks during my life, except during the last couple of years when I start getting short of breath and feel an episode of AFib coming on. My last one was in June 2003 and I wrote the following, which I have not shared with my family or friends, but I think maybe some of you will understand it...

No..no, no...hold on, here it comes...
                              Breathe, slow it down, breathe deep...
                              Let it roll over you and be gone...
                              Don't go down...don't let the fear get to you...
                              Go or not?...think...make a decision...
                              The rush, the roar...is that me?
                              My heart is racing...to fast...to hard...
                              Get a grip...faith is there...hold on...

Comment

Hi Lisa, all too familiar thoughts and feelling, just remember you are not alone, hang in there you'll be just fine.
                                Every great thing that has ever happened since the beginning of time has started as a single thought in someones mind.
                                So if you are capable of thought then you are capable of great things
                                Good luck and stay well.
                                Glen

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
                                X