If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bike Ride

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

Glen Beamish Find out more about Glen Beamish
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bike Ride

Well guys, wish me luck, this Sunday June 1 I am doing my 50 km (30 mile) bike ride for the Heart & Stroke Foundation.
    It's the largest organized bike ride in the world, they also have a couple in-line skaters courses.
    They close off a portion of a major highway that goes thru the middle of Toronto.
    There will be an estimated 15,000 - 20,000 riders.
    They are looking to raise close to 2 million dollars.
    I'm being sponsored for over $300 dollars.
    I ride close to this distance regular, so it should not be a problem.
    Let you know on Monday how I made out.
    Every great thing that has ever happened since the beginning of time has started as a single thought in someones mind.
    So if you are capable of thought then you are capable of great things
    Good luck and stay well.
    Glen

Re: Bike Ride

Glen,

Good for you, the foundation and all of those who will benefit from it! Best of luck, I'm sure you'll do wonderful - just keep up the fluids!

Lynn
    Lynn Stewart
    HOCM 4/2002
    Cleveland Myectomy Crew 8/2002

Comment

Glen, best of luck to you. Have fun.

Reenie
      Reenie

Husband has HCM.
      3 kids - ages 23, 21, & 19. All presently clear of HCM.

Comment

DRINK DRINK DRINK.... be careful and have fun!
        Please stay well hydrated!
        Lisa
        Knowledge is power ... Stay informed!
        YOU can make a difference - all you have to do is try!

Dx age 12 current age 46 and counting!
        lost: 5 family members to HCM (SCD, Stroke, CHF)
        Others diagnosed living with HCM (or gene +) include - daughter, niece, nephew, cousin, sister and many many friends!
        Therapy - ICD (implanted 97, 01, 04 and 11, medication
        Currently not obstructed
        Complications - unnecessary pacemaker and stroke (unrelated to each other)

Comment

Lisa, I plan to drink plenty.
          I'm taking a 6 pack of beer on the ride, one for every 10 kilometers and then one at the finish line. :P
          You know I'm kidding, knowing your feelings on alcohol, I couldn't help myself.
          I drink gallons of water now and will on the ride as well.
          Thanks
          Every great thing that has ever happened since the beginning of time has started as a single thought in someones mind.
          Good luck and stay well.
          Glen

Comment

Glen, Best Wishes! Linda

Comment

Glen,

Is this latest SARS outbreak in Toronto going to interfere with this event? I hope not as you've been getting ready for awhile now. Good luck and have a great time!

Pat

Comment

Glen... Ah as always I can rely on you for a smart a**.
                Be well! have fun!!
                Lisa

Others diagnosed living with HCM (or gene +) include - daughter, niece, nephew, cousin, sister and many many friends!
                Currently not obstructed

Comment

Pat, you open up a very big issue with people who live in Toronto.
                  Believe me, the SARS issue in Toronto is far bigger in the rest of the world than it is in Toronto. SARS is contained mainly to one health facility and all SARS cases are traced back to this one facility where the first person who came back from China was admitted.
                  It spread to that persons family, visitors and some health care people treating them before they knew what they were dealing with and then to some others associated with these people did pick it up. This latest outbreak is traced back to the same hospital to a 96 year old man who was misdiagnosed awhile back. The new cases are traced to him. As a precaustion a few associated hospitals in the area have closed to visitors and all hospitals in Toronto make you go thru a screening process where they spray your hands with antiseptic, they take your temperature and you wear a mask only during this 5 minute process. I was at Toronto General Hospital on Friday to see my HCM Doc and went thru the process.
                  Life goes on here as normal, no one runs around in public wearing masks. I know the news has shown some chineese people wearing them, but they wear them all the time even before SARS, but the media choose to make this a SARS issue.
                  Nobody I know has altered their life because of this.
                  The really sad part is that so many businesses especially those associated with tourism like restuarants and hotels are being hurt bad and many people will lose their lively hood because of this over reaction.
                  A similar reaction several years ago, several Canadians were robbed, beat up and stabbed in Florida while on vacation. Right away the media warned about going to Florida for vacation. Their tourism was hurt for awhile because a lot of Canadians go to Florida. But these were just isolated incidents and the chance of being mugged was actually very low.
                  A couple stats they are comparing this to.
                  You are more likely to die of a dog bite than SARS.
                  You are more likely to die from a fall from a ladder than SARS.
                  You are more likely to die in a plane crash coming to Toronto than getting SARS when you get here.
                  So if you plan to come to Toronto and do the hospital tour you might have a problem.
                  Other than that it's business as usual, actually there are some incredable offers on here now to attracted tourists.
                  The have interviewed several American tourists now here and they were hesitant to come, but once here they realize that were they are visiting SARS is not an issue.
                  And yes I am sure there will always be a few people who will opt out of the ride, but they are still looking for an outstanding turn out and the experience to be with 15,000 other people in a common goal will be their loss.
                  Pat thanks for asking, I feel better for this long winded vent, but I like many others in Toronto have very strong feelings about how Toronto is preceived around the world.
                  And thanks to all of you for well wishes.
                  Good luck and stay well.
                  Glen

Comment

I like the subjective probability analysis pertaining to SARS. The media has a funny way of instilling fear in people and blowing things out of proportion. Sounds all too familiar. Although I must admit, I was just in Ontario, Pembroke to be exact which nowhere near Toronto, and it still crossed my mind.

Comment

Glen, thanks so much for the information on SARS. I am not planning on coming to Toronto but just in case I know someone who is I can pass that along to them. Best of luck on your ride, stay safe.
                      Midge

Diagnosed in 1977, Myectomy in 1981 @ Mayo Rochester
                      ICD&Pacemaker 1996
                      Heart transplant March 19, 2004 @ Mayo Rochester
                      Mom of Kaye.

Comment

There was an interesting piece in the New Yorker I think...it listed how many people die of TB each yr it was like 100 time more that have died from SARS - they listed every major illness including the FLU and SARS is not even on the radar screen in comparison to most!

I would visit Toronto no problem... China however I will wait on for now
                        Lisa

Currently not obstructed

Comment

Well if you ever do get to Toronto, I would like to meet anyone of you.
                          Good luck and stay well.
                          Glen

Comment

Glen, good luck on the ride. I hope you have a nice time and someone to rub your feet and leggs after you are done.
                            Donna B. HCM & ICD. 2 sons with HCM. Brother passed away from HCM at the age of 39. Mother has HCM.

Comment

Hi Glen,

Good luck on the ride up the Don Valley. It is up isn't it? Maybe I could do it if it was going down. I could coast all the way. hee he .

I was at Toronto General today, to have an echo. It wasn't too bad except for the masks. I will be having an angiogram on June 14th to see if I am a candidate for the surgery or ablation. So I am glad things are starting to move along. I really hope SARS is under control this time. I feel for all the health professionals having to wear those masks all day.

Take care,
                              Robbyn

Comment

Working...
                              X