If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Life Insurance

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

jennifer.olson.355 Find out more about jennifer.olson.355
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Life Insurance

I was diagnosed one year ago this month with Apical HCM. I am barely symptomatic and the doctor at Mayo feels that I am not going to get any worse and I am low risk for sudden cardiac death. I have an 11 year old daughter and just by my luck I never bought life insurance prior to my diagnosis, mostly due to finances. Now I can afford it and have been turned down already. Has anyone ever had luck getting life insurance after an HCM diagnosis ? If so, help!!!!! Are there any other options to help protect my daughter in the event of my untimely death??????

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Re: Life Insurance

Some have purchased plans after diagnosis, Hopefully they'll chime in. Also - use the search feature on this site. For others - we usually get them from our employers. If thats the route some folks take, inquire if they are portable (you can take policy with you when and if you leave the firm). Some have that benefit, though I have no idea the change in rate structure. Forward thinking, get or increase coverage BEFORE you have a clinical diagnosis! Get policies for your kids (pre-diagnosis) that they can keep for the future. Good Luck!
    Marc
    Diagnosed @ 48
    Saw Dr. Michael Debakey @ age 5 - "He's fine, just a little noisy"
    Father to 3 boys 22, 25, 29 (all currently clear - pending genetics)
    AICD - Valentines Day '08, Spark Plug replaced 11/14
    After much research, I had a Myectomy @ Mayo for my 50th Birthday '08
    Quietly going insane . . .

Comment

Actually....while life insurance is good...the policy you really want is long term care insurance. I got lucky and in 2010 I got one of the last opportunities to split the premium with my business and made one large premium payment so I never have to pay again.

Comment

Jordan is absolutely correct, if at all possible, get long term care insurance!! I'd give my eye teeth to have it.
        L
        Onward and Upward !

Diagnosed 4/07 HCM with fixed & dynamic obstruction
        Myectomy with resected cordonae tendonae 4/08 CCF
        ICD 10/08

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
        X