If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Handicapped sticker

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

dughr Find out more about dughr
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Burton Borrok
    replied
    Re: Handicapped sticker

In response to Shirley’s post, I had suggested . . .

Make Me Whole / Hole Card.

Burt

Leave a comment:

• Burton Borrok
    replied

How about “The make me Whole/Hole Card?”
    Burt

Leave a comment:

• shirleymahoney
    replied

I also have a hard time with letting my husband get one for our car, i keep telling my self The Doctor Wants You To Walk Shirley, but there are days i have a hard time just walking around in my house, so i may give in to my husband, I think it's the name that affends me, i think we should rename it also, our bad day card

Shirley

Leave a comment:

• Lisa Salberg
    replied

I issue you all a fun little challange - cause I know you guys are great at this stuff.
    I have a Handicap plaque - I use it very few times ...but when I need it ...it is really nice.

Here is the problem... I hate the name of this lovely little life saver...

I have heard them refered to as disable tags... but I do not like that either...

WHAT SHALL WE RENAME THEM? If not officially for US.
    "Helpful Card"
    "Hypertrophic Cardio-Card"
    "HELP CANT WALK FAR"
    "heard it before...Cant walk leave me alone Card"

Just some thoughts...

Lisa

Leave a comment:

• Burton Borrok
    replied

What a great idea, - but I can’t see how it would work with handicapped plates.

I wonder what would happen if, when a police officer found someone using the placard improperly, they not only cited the driver but lifted the placard. The proper user would then have to pay a fee to retrieve it. Three improper uses of the placard and the proper user loses the use of it for one year. Supplying the placard to others would then become a much riskier business.

For cars with plates, improper parking in a handicapped spot would bring a double fine, and if there were three incidents, they would lose the plates for a year.

But most of all, we need qualified citizens or meter maids to enforce the laws.
    Burt

Leave a comment:

• dughr
    replied

Gayle--GOOD FOR YOU! And your husband!

I get furious when I see some lazy jerk use the spots illegally. It started for me when my dad was terminally ill with cancer and had even less energy than I did. It was a rare day when he could get out of the house, and when he could that was the only way he could get into the stores at all. (He was a retired police officer by the way.) People can be very inconsiderate.

In Boston they have a way of circumventing using passes that don't belong to you. Maybe they do this elsewhere now too, but here they put a picture of you on the pass which is laminated, the picture is the same as is on your drivers license, so any officer can just check the picture and see if you are the person issued the pass.

Leave a comment:

• Glen Beamish
    replied

In Ontario, the liquor stores are not privately owned, they are owned and regulated by the government, so that may have a bearing on the policy.
    Anyway, I like it.

Leave a comment:

• Burton Borrok
    replied

Gayle,
    I salute you – and your husband. Trouble is there are so few police in many area’s, and the one’s we have are so overworked that parking infractions are way down on the list of things to do. Stupid, ignorant, antisocial people take advantage of the situation and do all sorts of outlandish things.

I have a neighbor who lives in a corner house and rather then park at the curb like a normal person, he parks right at the handicapped curb cut on the corner, putting his right front tire onto the sidewalk endangering everyone who has to go around that corner, and making that curb cut unusable to neighbors in wheelchairs.

I’ve called the police on a number of occasions, but so far there has never been an officer free enough to cite him. I wish citizens could take a police course and be granted the right to site offenders. It would sure clean up the mess in a hurry.

Hey Glen, I’d go out of my way to buy in that liquor store – people like that just have to be supported – and every time I bought something there I would tell them why.
    Burt

Leave a comment:

• Abbygirl2
    replied

I have thought about getting a HC sticker for a couple yrs now but I rarely go anywhere. Everytime I walk into a store with those motorized carts, I look longingly at them but always feel to foolish about using one.

It never made sense to me that one day I can walk around ok and the next I can't. like alot of you, I don't need one everyday but there are many days that I wish I had a placard/sticker.
    The trip that always tires me out the most(it seems) is my trip to the cardiologist. Why oh why did they put the Cardiology department so far away from the entrance...I may never figure that one out.
    Eventually I am going to have to resort to using the wheelchair at the clinic, then I will truely feel disabled.

Pam

Leave a comment:

• gayle
    replied

I am a police officer and the only parking tickets and tow's I LOVE to do are for parking in a handicapped spot . Honestly nothing makes me more angry than some kid using Grandma's decal to park close because they are lazy. The largest problem is people who seem to think the signs just dont apply to them and they can park wherever they want.
    I realize that people with HCM look like we dont have problems and anyone who has symtoms that give them trouble should CERTAINLY have and use a decal. My husband is also a police officer and used to have a habit of parking at a grocery store parking lot and watching the HC spots. When some kid would jump out and rum in he would write the ticket and wait by the car to ask if the sticker was for them. The anwer was always no its my (grandma's, aunt's, uncles') car. If anyone had told him they had a condition he would have voided the tickets, but they never did.
    My advice to anyone who reads this message board is GET A STICKER IF YOU NEED ONE. There are so many people out there who abuse these spaces but you would not be one of them!!! If you need one then get your sticker and put that HC parking to good use, your use!!

Leave a comment:

• Burton Borrok
    replied

Hi Marlene,
    I’m glad you will be offsetting your inability to do much walking with a handicapped placard or plate. There is no reason you should be restricted from shopping as much as your body will allow. I’ve reached the point where I use power carts in supermarkets and the big stores like Wal-Mart. It’s a lot better then sitting in the car while my wife does the shopping.

Here in Vegas yesterday the temperature again broke one hundred. I put a digital thermometer in the car to see how hot it got while my wife had a CT scan. When we got back to the car the face of the thermometer was all black, and it was very hot. I turned the air conditioner on high, and as I drove I watched the thermometer. Gradually the blackness faded, but all the numbers showed all eights (like when you first reset a meter.) A few minutes later it had cooled enough to be able to discern the numbers, and the thermometer reading was down to 138. In the summers you read about pets and even children dieing in cars. Believe me, it is not the place to wait while your wife shops.

On another topic, I was greatly amused by your typing in a Bostonian accent. For years we used to go to Cape Cod in the summers with all the college kids down from bean town. It brought back fond memories. When the British first settled the colonies English was going through some rapid changes in pronunciation and other affectations. A sharp ear could just about pinpoint the year a particular area was settled because, being disconnected from Briton, there speech was then ‘frozen in time.’ That is why, in many respects a Bostonian accent and a Carolinian accent are so similar. Fortunately, or unfortunately, with the advent of nationwide radio and television programs, these wonderful accents are fading. More’s the pity.

I must get my cah from Hah-vahd yahd, but I will need my cah-key. - - ya-all.
    Burt

Leave a comment:

• Glen Beamish
    replied

It drives me crazy when people pull into a handicap spot when they are not authorized.
    I don't need one, but I usually say something if I see it.
    I was at a liquor store and a car pulled into the lot, the handicap spot was naturally right at the front door.
    The guy got out and someone else going in mentioned it to him and he blew him off with excuse I'm only going to be minute.
    He went inside got his liquor, stood in line and when he got to the cash register, they refused to serve him until he went outside and moved his vehical.
    Apparently, it is their policy not serve people who violate the handicap spot.
    I loved it.

Leave a comment:

• Marlene Wilkinson
    replied

Good Morning Everyone

<~~~as you can see I'm from Boston aslo.
    The Pahkin' in town is a joke. Unless you get their by 5AM, your pretty much outta unless you use the Pahkin' Garage' and you have to pahk on the ruf!
    I'm sorry, I'm doing my best to type the way we sound And sometimes it's "wicked hahd"
    I thought about getting myself a handicaped sticker or plate. I sometimes feel that I'm not entitled to it. A women posted that by the time she walked to the store with her child in tow...she was ready to call it a day! I know how she feels...and I've done just that. I last about 10 minutes in the store and I have to leave because I'm tired. Especially during the Summer months.
    I thought I would get laughed at for having one or for even enquiring to get one. Thanks for helping me see the error of my way. I think I will be looking into it this time.
    Have a great Wednesday

Leave a comment:

• dughr
    replied

Hey Darren,

That is funny. So keeping in line with that line of thinking, bus drivers and cab drivers in Bean town must be the most honest people in America!!

Doug

Leave a comment:

• Darren1
    replied

dughr-

Glad to hear you got the plate and haven't had any rude people pester you about it! You have a heart that is a disability... end of debate. You are entitled to the "benefit" of a handicapped plate, as someone with HCM you pay a VERY high price for that ability. BTW, being from Boston myself, I laughed out loud when I read you last post about "no one has been rude"... Bostonians aren't rude, they are honest!

-Darren

Leave a comment:

Working...
X