If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Handicapped sticker

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

dughr Find out more about dughr
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Handicapped sticker

Hi,

I was not sure where to post this question but this seems a good of a place as any.

I am not ready to get a procedure done just yet...I am waiting to give meds a final round with my team of cardiologists at NEMC Tufts. In the mean time I am still horribly symptomatic. I have not been able to go a flight of stairs without chest pain and breathlessness now for quite some time. Atenolol is not doing anything for me it seems anymore.

I have been urged by people close to me to explore the possibility of getting a temporary handicap pass on my car so when I do go to the grocery store, I can get to the front door without being completely worn out. i sorta have viewed this as defeat...now I am giving it serious contemplation, at least for the interim period leading up to a procedure that will correct the symptoms. I always feel too guilty to ride around the local Home Depot in a wheel chair, but I can not conduct a shopping trip to completion because I tire out too much. I just don't feel right in one. People can't see my handicap therefore I look to them like a big strong guy who wants attention.

My question: I know I am in lots of company here, and how do you all deal with this and does anyone else use or need a handicap pass to lighten the load??

Thanks again,
    Doug
    NEMC's (Boston) First Myectomy 7-22-2003

OK... lets look at this.... You have a hard time getting around right? and you feel better when you do not have to walk too far..right?
    Go to DMV...get the paper for you "disability parking permit" and have your doc sign it and use it when ever you need to.
    I have a perm permit...I do not use it everyday...I use it when I need too, Yes sometimes people look at me as if I am "cheating"...but I know how I feel they do not.
    Lisa
    Knowledge is power ... Stay informed!
    YOU can make a difference - all you have to do is try!

Dx age 12 current age 46 and counting!
    lost: 5 family members to HCM (SCD, Stroke, CHF)
    Others diagnosed living with HCM (or gene +) include - daughter, niece, nephew, cousin, sister and many many friends!
    Therapy - ICD (implanted 97, 01, 04 and 11, medication
    Currently not obstructed
    Complications - unnecessary pacemaker and stroke (unrelated to each other)

Comment

I have a permanent disability sticker for my car. Don't feel bad about it. I actually have it for spinal problems but I sure am glad I have it now due to the symptoms and problems I am having with my heart these days. I know my cardiologist would be more than happy to have signed that form. Go for it and don't feel 1 bit bad! If I were you I would go for a permanent one too. This condition isn't cureable so why worry about having the form signed over and over and having to pay for it so many times. Kathy

Comment

Doug, get the handicapped pass, you'll have it when you need it. The window hanger is nice because you don't have to worry about which car you are in, just take it with you. Linda

Comment

Thanks,

I have taken all of your advice and talked to my doc (M. Maron) and he set it up immediately. I sent in the paperwork last night.

thanks again,

Doug

Comment

Re: Handicapped sticker

you know, i've wondered for a very long time whether or not i would qualify for a handicap parking permit...thing.

i'm so young, seemingly so, 26, that i would feel that it would be cheating if i got one. but there are those days, that going up three steps feels like i'm going to keel over.

after reading this i WILL be asking a doctor to sign me up! there is NO shame in it. i guess if anyone gives me any beef i could just flash my ICD at them.

seriously though, thanks for having the courage to post that question

Comment

I got one and I am so glad I did. I am 39, and I have a two year old son who is HEAVY! There are times I go places with him, like a dept. store, and by the time we get inside, I am done already. I got a placard to hang on my car when I need it. When I don't need it, I don't use it.

I suggest you have it just for those times when you do need it. In California, where I live, you can park at any meter for free, or park in a zone where you can only park for a limited time for however long you want. It makes a big difference. I'm with you. If people say something, I have enough scars to prove that I am justified.

Happy parking!
              Daughter of Father with HCM
              Diagnosed with HCM 1999.
              Full term pregnancy - Son born 11/01
              ICD implanted 2/03; generator replaced 2/2005 and 2/2012
              Myectomy 8/11/06 - Joe Dearani - Mayo Clinic.

Comment

ya know people can be very cruel sometimes. Just before I was to fly out to Boston a friend and I decided to go to the Olive Garden for lunch. I wasn't feeling particularly well so we used my handicapped sticker for the closer parking lot. Well, as we were getting out of the car I could hear an older man and lady talking rather loudly how they thought it disrespectful for some young kid to park in the handicapped parking spot when they obviously didn't need it.

I gave them a nasty look but they kept on. Why are people so mean. I try to not let it get to me but it hurts. Many of my friends say your lucky you got a sticker for a close spot. Honestly, I'd give up that placard any day just to be able to walk across the school parking lot. Who knows maybe someday.

Mary S.

Comment

Mary - You are too nice. I would call them on it, and tell them about what was wrong with me. I hate, hate, hate when people judge like that. It makes me so mad. After everything that you have been through, I swear....I am with you. If I could trade that stupid placard so I could do what most people my age can, I would in a heartbeat! I tell that to anyone who comments also.

People can be so obnoxious.
                  Daughter of Father with HCM
                  Diagnosed with HCM 1999.
                  Full term pregnancy - Son born 11/01
                  ICD implanted 2/03; generator replaced 2/2005 and 2/2012
                  Myectomy 8/11/06 - Joe Dearani - Mayo Clinic.

Comment

I believe if you’re truly handicapped you turn a different color then everybody else, so people can readily tell you are handicapped and not taking advantage of the situation. Who ever heard of the DMV making sure an applicant is truly handicapped before issuing a placard or plate?

OK now. I have all my limbs and senses, although I have a number of conditions which are not visible to a casual observer. I first got a handicapped placard when I lived in California. One day the placard fell off my rear view mirror and I got a citation. I was able to take care of the situation through the mail, but it was a hassle. Another time I got a citation in San Francisco with the placard clearly displayed. The DMV agreed the citation was issued in error, but they still wanted me to pay the fine anyway. Ultimately I got the problem resolved by appealing to the mayor’s office, but after that I got a handicapped plate – and a placard for when I was in a different car.

I now live in Nevada, and here they automatically issue both the plate and placard to people wishing a plate. Recently I’ve also resorted to using a power cart in stores that supply them. I find this much better then sitting in the car while my wife shops. Do what you’ve got to do, and to h—l with the ignorant people that think only visibly handicapped people qualify for the plates and placards, - and the power carts too for that matter. I also advise getting the permanent kind – you’re not going to find a miraculous cure any time soon.
                    Burt

Comment

You are all so right , how ignorant people can be. I once had an older woman standing in a handicapped space glare at me as I waited for her to move so I could pull in , apparently she thought you were supposed to stand in them when you weren't driving a car, only kidding . I don't know what her whole motivation was. Some one came around the corner and picked her up. But she looked at my then 14 year old son and said " you need a handicapped placcard to park there. At that time I was finally out of the car and I said what? She repeated her statement. I said excuse me? She said I don't see a handicapped placard. I said I'm sorry you must be blind you should call the registry and ask for one yourself and I pointed to my rear view mirror and walked to the store. I looked back she covered her mouth in horror and embarrassment as she saw the placcard. I keep telling my son we should have Jamie Kennedy do a spoof on it for his show " The Jamie Kennedy Experiment". Could you see how many comments or mistakes people would make because of what a handicapped person should look like? Best Wishes to all. Pam
                      Dx @ 47 with HOCM & HF:11/00
                      Guidant ICD:Mar.01, Recalled/replaced:6/05 w/ Medtronic device
                      Lead failure,replaced 12/06.
                      SF lead recall:07,extracted leads and new device 2012
                      [email protected] Tufts, Boston:10/5/03; age 50. ( [email protected] 240 mmHg ++)
                      Paroxysmal A-Fib: 06-07,2010 controlled w/sotalol dosing
                      Genetic mutation 4/09, mother(d), brother, son, gene+
                      Mother of 3, grandma of 3:Tim,27,Sarah,33w/6 y/o old Sophia, 5 y/o Jack, Laura 34, w/ 5 y/o old Benjamin

Comment

i'm glad everyone is basically on track with this whole advantage.

honestly, i would only need to use the thing on certain days. my medicine has been working so great since 96, that i consider myself very very lucky. without the verapamil, i can't climb 3 steps, with it i run almost everyday..(i hope NOT to my demise).

there are those days though, where nothing is working right. i'm so convinced now, that i AM justified in asking for one. its just my moral obligation to use it when i need it.

honestly though, one time, i did use it as an excuse to pre-board on a southwest flight. it first come, first serve...i didn't want to sit in the rear of the plane.....so.....

Comment

Hi Pam,
                          One day I was about to pull into a handicapped parking spot at a supermarket, when another car beat me to the spot. He did not have a handicapped plate or placard. I called to him and told him that it was a handicapped spot and he responded saying that he only had a few things to buy and would be back soon.

I got on my cell phone and called the police, but there was no patrol car in the area to issue him a citation. Most police forces are short handed, and parking citations are generally low on their list of priorities. Having a handicapped plate now I rarely ever hear the remarks, but when I had only the placard from time to time I would be told that I was parking in a handicapped spot. I just showed them the placard, and thanked them for caring. I figured we needed all the help we can get.

I would love the opportunity to take a police sponsored class and get permission to issue citations to people who illegally park in handicapped spots. Boy, wouldn’t that solve the problem quickly.
                          Burt

Comment

Burt, That might do the trick for a while but you know how quickly people slip back into their old bad habbits. It sounds like they could use you for the parking patrol. On a good day I would have taken the time to kindly remind the older woman of her mistake and say it was ok , but that particular day was a bad one. I stop and think how in some ways because of my HCM and now being more exposed to some people who are callous and outspoken ,it has caused me to be a little less tolerant. I give a comeback where as in the past I would have given the benefit of doubt. I try to do it without harshness but it is not always easy. I guess this disease can lead to bitterness if we are not carefull. Thanks for your input. Pam
                            Dx @ 47 with HOCM & HF:11/00
                            Guidant ICD:Mar.01, Recalled/replaced:6/05 w/ Medtronic device
                            Lead failure,replaced 12/06.
                            SF lead recall:07,extracted leads and new device 2012
                            [email protected] Tufts, Boston:10/5/03; age 50. ( [email protected] 240 mmHg ++)
                            Paroxysmal A-Fib: 06-07,2010 controlled w/sotalol dosing
                            Genetic mutation 4/09, mother(d), brother, son, gene+
                            Mother of 3, grandma of 3:Tim,27,Sarah,33w/6 y/o old Sophia, 5 y/o Jack, Laura 34, w/ 5 y/o old Benjamin

Comment

My original post was a year ago. Since then I got the placard. I still got worse and ended up using a wheel chair most of the time if I was out. Well, in July I had my myectomy and have been on a slow recovery track since then (othe problems were discovered during the surgery). Well, I have used that placard every chance I could when I needed it and I needed it most of the time. I was surprised that in the course of 11 months I have not once had a comment about using it. Maybe people in Massachusetts are just more polite....now I can't keep a straight face and say that

Now I use it very rarely but feel great about having it when it is needed. By the way, in Mass you don't have to feed parking meters if you have a pass...now I figure over the last 20 years of hurting from this disease I paid my dues, so whats wrong with getting a little back. And if anyone has ever been in Boston you know how tough parking can be!

Doug

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
                              X