If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Coumadin and monthly cycle

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

mflanagn RN at a Trama 2 center, 2 children, 2 dogs Find out more about mflanagn
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coumadin and monthly cycle

Hi, this post is for the women who take coumadin.

My daughter takes coumadin and will soon be getting her monthly cycle. I was wondering if it is heavier because of the coumadin??

I want to be prepared for her and help her understand when the time comes.

Thanks in advance for your answers.
    [/b]
    Michelle - mom to Krista and Tyler both HCM
    Krista surgeries: 3/97 myectomy, 2/99 mitral valve replacement
    Tyler surgery: 1/98 myectomy

hi

I'm sorry to invoke the "everyone is different" rule, but I suspect it applies here.

I've been on Coumadin for three years now and I don't think my period is heavier, but lately it has gotten longer. I'll spot for a couple days before and after it really occurs, so you may want to stock up on panty liners, and suggest she be always prepared. They make those really nice ones in the plastic wrappers so you can stuff them in your back pocket. (Always brand)

(no pun intended up there with the "Always", however, I will never forget sitting in algebra and discovering the damage and having to walk sideways back to my locker, tie a jacket around myself and thank god it was last period --and that is no pun *grin*)

take care,

S

Comment

Boy Sarah you hit a few on that one!
      I am not aware of any significant changes other then what Sarah stated. I would check with a GYN and see what she says, there maybe other issues with younger ones that I am not aware of.
      Best wishes,
      Lisa
      Knowledge is power ... Stay informed!
      YOU can make a difference - all you have to do is try!

Dx age 12 current age 46 and counting!
      lost: 5 family members to HCM (SCD, Stroke, CHF)
      Others diagnosed living with HCM (or gene +) include - daughter, niece, nephew, cousin, sister and many many friends!
      Therapy - ICD (implanted 97, 01, 04 and 11, medication
      Currently not obstructed
      Complications - unnecessary pacemaker and stroke (unrelated to each other)

Comment

Re: Coumadin and monthly cycle

Hi
        I'm not sure if this applies to HMC but I find that just before my monthly cylce I get out of breath easier and in general just feel more tired. Not the "just period feeling" it's different (hard to explain) and it dosen't happen all the time but I really do feel as though something's being restricted. I haven't told me doctor about this yet. I'll let you know when I do.
        Take Care!
        Tammy

Comment

Dear Tammy,

A lot of women report having more HCM symptoms before or during their period. I don't think anyone is studying this yet. Maybe next century!

But always let your doctor know all your symptoms, even cyclical ones.

S

Comment

Thanks Sarah!
            I didn't realize that others felt the same. I'm so glad I found this site. Everyone is so kind.
            I wanted to share one more thing. I love taking long hot baths with a good book. Sometimes however, while I'm in the tub resting I feel as though I have a weight on my chest (not always) and I can't breath properly so I sit up. It's really weird. The same thing happened to me when I went to the Dominican in March. 6 nights out of the 7, I couldn't lay down and sleep properly because I felt like I was being suffacated (somewhat)!
            As always, thanks!
            Tammy

Comment

Tammy, I going to go out on a limb here and tell you my opinion. Many people talk about having more shortness of breath and difficulty breathing, like pressure, when they are in hot/humid weather. I think you are subjecting yourself to the equivalent of the US southeast in August *very hot and humid* every time you take a hot bath and relax. I think it's all that thick hot air that makes you feel so bad. They recommend that people with heart conditions not take long hot soaks because it dilates the blood vessels. In general, anything that does that is not good for people with heart problems. Maybe next time you soak for a while try turning the exhaust fan on in the bathroom. That might help circulate the air enough to help you breathe better. Hope this helps.

Reenie
              Reenie

Husband has HCM.
              3 kids - ages 23, 21, & 19. All presently clear of HCM.

Comment

Tammy,

Long, hot baths can be very, very bad. They dehydrate you! Saunas and steam baths are also dangerous.

I've gone into atrial fibrillation after a hot bath!

So, if you must take a bath, drink a lot of water before, during, and after. Keep the water temperature comfortable but not hot and don't stay in for more than 20-30 minutes tops.

Personally, I now only take a ten minute soak from time to time.

take care,

S

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
                X