If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lifestyle Limitations?

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

BryanA My name is Bryan and I am a 49 year old male, and I was diagnosed with obstructive HCM back in 2002. It has been poorly managed with beta blockers and calcium channel blockers up until now. At this point, I have recently had a septal myectomy on April 16th, 2013 at Duke University Medical Center in Durham, NC. My surgeon was Dr. Donald D. Glower, Jr. There are several members of my mother's family that have or had HCM. Before surgery, I had a resting, unprovoked LVOT gradient of 93mmHg while on meds, so I was quite symptomatic. Alcohol ablation was not recommended in my case. I am eagerly looking forward to what improvements the myectomy has brought once the healing has completed! Find out more about BryanA
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lifestyle Limitations?

Hi Folks,

Since my septal myectomy in April 2013, my cardiologist has pretty much told me to permanently limit my lifting to no more than 10 to 15 pounds, and no exercise other than light walking which is really cramping my style... I am a Navy veteran and used to be quite active and even lifted weights at the gym three or four times a week, so 10 to 15 pounds seems like nothing, but my cardiologist is telling me that I was probably just accelerating the onset of my symptoms back then. Now, due to A-Fib and having to be on Tikosyn and an anticoagulant (Eliquis), my doctor is telling me that it would probably be a good idea to not ride my motorcycle any more, which I find discouraging. Is it typical to be limited so much post-myectomy, or is my cardiologist being overly cautious?
    Bryan,
    Western North Carolina
    48 YO Male
    Diagnosed with HOCM/IHSS with SAM of the Mitral Valve Leaflets 2002
    Septal Myectomy 4/16/2013, Duke University Medical Center, Dr. Donald D. Glower, MD.

Re: Lifestyle Limitations?

Bryan - I've read your other posts also and see you've had some big complications - I suspect you will be much less restricted after these complications are completely resolved. Your cardiologist and other care providers will not be wanting you to further complicate things by pushing too hard until all is well.

I hope this all comes together soon for you.

Best wishes - Linda

Comment

Linda, thanks so much for your reply... Everything's pretty much resolved as far as my doctors seem to think it will be, except for the residual nerve damage from the incisions, but my cardiologist is telling me that these restrictions will be permanent so as not to cause the heart muscle in the rest of my heart from growing any thicker. I've never heard any other HCM patients mention anything quite like this post-myectomy, so I am really curious!

Thanks again!
      Bryan,
      Western North Carolina
      48 YO Male
      Septal Myectomy 4/16/2013, Duke University Medical Center, Dr. Donald D. Glower, MD.

Comment

Bryan -

I am so sorry that you are having these problems and do hope they all get resolved, the sooner the better.

Although I have no knowledge of myectomy surgery what I do know about (firsthand and wish I didn't) is nerve damage due to trauma. May I suggest you Google RSD/CRPS, get all the information you can and then speak to your doctors about it. In no way is it my intent to upset you further, just a possible reason for what you are going through at the moment. Hopefully your doctors don't know what they are talking about and there is no nerve damage and it will just take a little longer for you to make a full recovery.

Wishing you nothing but the best.

Comment

I was leaning towards Linda's response. I was a fairly active gym rat prior to my surgery and my doctors instructions were a bit looser. As I was fairly conditioned, I could obviously handle more weight, BUT it had to not cause strain. So doing a barbell curls with 15 pounds is stupid easy, BUT doing a Dumbell curl with 15 a bit tougher. I found that more reps, lighter weights and NEVER getting to the point of grunting, straining and holding my breath in any way the best solution. You've been through a lot, take your time to heal properly.
          Also - thinners are a necessity for some, BUT should you have an accident while on them, the consequences could be deadly. I was on them for a while post surgery and finally allowed off them. 3 months later I passed out and fracture my brow. Had I been on thinners, I wouldn't be here to type this. If you fell on your bike (Gawd forbid), it could be dangerous.
          My advice here is just that, please discuss anything you do with your doctor.
          Marc
          Diagnosed @ 48
          Saw Dr. Michael Debakey @ age 5 - "He's fine, just a little noisy"
          Father to 3 boys 22, 25, 29 (all currently clear - pending genetics)
          AICD - Valentines Day '08, Spark Plug replaced 11/14
          After much research, I had a Myectomy @ Mayo for my 50th Birthday '08
          Quietly going insane . . .

Comment

Thanks for your replies... I appreciate the advice and encouragement!
            Bryan,
            Western North Carolina
            48 YO Male

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
            X