If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you think HCM is self-limiting... to a degree anyway?

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

mtlieb Find out more about mtlieb
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you think HCM is self-limiting... to a degree anyway?

I was thinking about this the other day and wonder if it holds true for other members on this forum. As a kid my parents pushed me into just about every type of competitive sport they could (my brother was a tremendous athlete and I was a huge disappointment to them)... but I could simply never muster the endurance that was required because I ran out of steam so easily. As a result, I got into things like drama and chorus and the like. Of course I didn't know I had HCM at the time, but I'm curious if others here found that the disease naturally steered them away from harmful activities?
    "Some days you're the dog... some days you're the hydrant."

Re: Do you think HCM is self-limiting... to a degree anyway?

I was also a child non-athlete, but it didn't have anything to do with endurance - more with being terrified of small objects flying toward me. When I was in my 20's (in retrospect, just as some HCM symptoms were starting to make their appearance) I became a pretty serious runner, but indeed never could do the distances I wanted to and didn't quite understand why. But I quit running because of knee injuries, not anything to do with my heart. So in my case, I don't think I could say there was any self-limitation. That doesn't mean it can't happen, of course.

Gordon
    Myectomy on Feb. 5, 2007.

Comment

I was also the anti-athlete as a kid...but that probably didn't have anything to do w/ hcm, as it probably wasn't there as a youngster.
      I did go through US Army Basic Training at age 19, and the hcm was most likely there. (I didn't know about it). I was barely able to get through it.
      One thing I recall vividly is that they gave us all an evaluation pt test when we first arrived, just to get an idea of where everyone was physically.
      The requirement to graduate is to be able to do a certain number of pushups and situps in a certain amount of time, plus be able to run 2 miles in 18 minutes. (not difficult). Over the course of training, I improved on pushups and situps, but my running time never improved one tiny bit. My final test before graduation was just about exactly the same time as it was on the day we started. ZERO improvement.
      Fast forward a few years, and I was about to embark on a similar program for Naval Officer training. (maybe more physically difficult than the Army). I was dreading it, and trying to prepare in advance...I was just getting nowhere on the running thing. Very discouraging. Then I got the call to start the actual training, and they gave us "just one more physical" (I'd been through so many of these over the years, it was just another annoying formality), and they discovered the HCM....and that was the end of that. But it did kind of explain why I can't run for [email protected]#.
      dx'd HCM @age24, (1989) |Gene + |no family history

Comment

I did and still do some athletics. It stopped me from running after age 19.

HCM pushed me away from roller coasters. If a ride has a slow buildup and then maintains the pressure, I can handle it and have fun. But a sudden change in pressure caused some wild scary sensations in my chest that always scared me more than the roller coaster. Everyone else in groups were always mad that I would refuse to go on anything more than a gentle roller coaster. And I was always so mad at them after they got me on a faster one while promising it wasn't that bad.

Comment

I wonder this as well.......I was never much of an athlete as a child. I was a competitive gymnast for many years and then did cheerleading for several years where I jumped for four hours each Friday night, did gymnastics and stunts and practiced nightly after school, but even being a competitive gymnast and so active in cheerleading- I could not run the mile to save my life, and I was in fantastic shape. I remember each year when it came up at school that we would have to run a mile as part of our state fitness requirement in school. I could start out running, but then I would quickly tire and have to walk. I would be walking with the kids that were not involved in any type of athletics and kids who were not in shape, but there I was. I just couldn't make sense of it.

Now I can jog slowly and do aerobics for my work outs, but running is still really difficult for me. I couldn't make sense of it back then, but looking back and knowing that I now have HCM (which I did not then), I wonder if it has something to do with it.

-Kaye

Comment

Me too. I always lagged behind in athletics and always chose other activities if I could with the exception of horsebackriding which I lived for.
            Daughter of Father with HCM
            Diagnosed with HCM 1999.
            Full term pregnancy - Son born 11/01
            ICD implanted 2/03; generator replaced 2/2005 and 2/2012
            Myectomy 8/11/06 - Joe Dearani - Mayo Clinic.

Comment

I played softball from age 7 to 15, then marching band for 3yrs. So, it really didn't affect me at all, when I was younger.
              When, I had my first drs. apt, they told me that I had been very lucky, that I didn't have a heart attack back then.
              Found out I had Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Oct.2007
              Myectomy at Cleveland Clinic Feb.2008
              Son & Daughter clear of HC
              Mother has it. Found out in 2010

Comment

It was in my case. I played on my elementary school softball team, not very well. On my one and only one good hit, I passed out between first and second base. That was the high point of my sporting life. I never could understand it. I grew up on a farm and I did heavy work all the time. I stacked hay bales and lugged fifty pound pails of milk from the barn to the milkhouse morning and night, much more exercise than my non-farm classmates. But I always lagged behind in sports, never making the team. By the time I was in high school, I was on the chess and debating teams, but no physical sports. After a myectomy in 2008 at age 58, I was surprised to learn that it is not normal to take your pulse while reciting the Pledge of Allegiance. Best, Marv Waschke

Comment

Kevin's post on rollercoasters reminded me when I took son #2 to Six Flags. I used to love all types of coaster and had a seasons' pass.
                  When they build a new one, we'd be there! The year before I DX, I took him to ride the newest one - Goliath, and have never been so close to passing out. Usually we'd ask if we had to get off before riding and if their not busy, we'd stay on. This time I exited so pale that the Ride Operator asked if I was OK. This was a turning point in my HCM journey. Its amazing the things we take for granted, and the things we miss.
                  Marc
                  Diagnosed @ 48
                  Saw Dr. Michael Debakey @ age 5 - "He's fine, just a little noisy"
                  Father to 3 boys 22, 25, 29 (all currently clear - pending genetics)
                  AICD - Valentines Day '08, Spark Plug replaced 11/14
                  After much research, I had a Myectomy @ Mayo for my 50th Birthday '08
                  Quietly going insane . . .

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
                  X