If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Having Sex

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

will519 Find out more about will519
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Having Sex

Hello,

I was told that I have moderate HCM on Feb 1st and to give up marathon running. I have an appointment with Dr. Lever on April 11th at the Cleveland Clinic. Currently in Cardio-Rehab and just completed 1st week, everything is going well there. On 50 mg of Toporol, being tired is my only side affect. With all that, my wife is worried about sex. Is it okay to have sex or should I wait until after I see Dr. Lever. Thanks again for all the support I have gotton so far with this support group.

Re: Having Sex

Actually, sex is a topic that has been discussed at the annual meetings by the top doctors from the centers of excellence. Sex is perfectly fine as long as you stick to the same rules of engagement as anything else. Be sure you're hydrated, if you start to feel bad lower your level of activity or stop, and listen to your body. There are other threads here on the board regarding this topic. If you search for them you can see what others have said too.
    Reenie

Husband has HCM.
    3 kids - ages 23, 21, & 19. All presently clear of HCM.

Comment

Sex is a hot topic for discussion for many us. Every person is so different from their symptoms to the different activities you can do. I realy believe you need to listen to your body and what your symptoms are telling you.
      I'm 41yr. Old female that has an ICD, has had open heart surgery (meyomectomy). Currently I'm waiting heart transplant , and take 350 mg of metoprolol daily. (along with other med)
      My husband and I still active; but are very aware of our limits, and my symptom.
      If you have more questions in this regards, it's best to make an appt. to see you Dor.

Blessings,
      Marielos

Comment

Taken from very recent American Heart Association Scientific Statement published January 2012 in Circulation:

Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy
        Recommendations
        1.Sexual activity is reasonable for most patients with hypertrophic cardiomyopathy (HCM) (Class IIa; Level of Evidence C).

2.Sexual activity should be deferred for patients with HCM who are severely symptomatic until their condition is stabilized (Class III; Level of Evidence C).

HCM is a heterogeneous genetic cardiac disease and the most common cause of arrhythmia-related sudden cardiac death in the young,68 including competitive athletes.69 Approximately 70% of HCM patients may have left ventricular outflow obstruction either at rest70 or with physiological provocation,71 independent of whether limiting symptoms are present. The underlying arrhythmogenic substrate in HCM is unpredictable,72,73 but a linkage between physical activity and sudden death events attributable to ventricular tachycardia/ventricular fibrillation69 raises concern that vigorous sexual activity might heighten risk in patients with this disease. However, there are no documented cases of cardiac arrest related to sexual activity in HCM patients. This is consistent with the physical activity recommendations afforded HCM patients that only prohibit participation in intense competitive sports or activities that mimic such forms of exercise.60
        Daughter of Father with HCM
        Diagnosed with HCM 1999.
        Full term pregnancy - Son born 11/01
        ICD implanted 2/03; generator replaced 2/2005 and 2/2012
        Myectomy 8/11/06 - Joe Dearani - Mayo Clinic.

Comment

Seriously dude, sex is great exercise and one of the few aspects of my life that I would rather 'die trying'.
          "Some days you're the dog... some days you're the hydrant."

Comment

Hello,

I just want to thank everyone for their reply.

Comment

I've heard if you have an AICD and it fires during intercourse your partner gets an "erotic tingling sensation". The BF always says I want to make your device fire! That's about the time he gets slapped cause I'm pretty sure it won't be erotic for me.

Mary

Comment

Mary.. that is funny as ****!

Sex is a real and important part of life - Yes sex with HCM is safe and it is actually GOOD for most of us. Enjoy your intimate time and remember that we have ONE ride here... make it a good one!

Best to all...
                and for you single types safe sex is important (says the mother of a teenager!)

Lisa
                Knowledge is power ... Stay informed!
                YOU can make a difference - all you have to do is try!

Dx age 12 current age 46 and counting!
                lost: 5 family members to HCM (SCD, Stroke, CHF)
                Others diagnosed living with HCM (or gene +) include - daughter, niece, nephew, cousin, sister and many many friends!
                Therapy - ICD (implanted 97, 01, 04 and 11, medication
                Currently not obstructed
                Complications - unnecessary pacemaker and stroke (unrelated to each other)

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
                X