If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sanibel, Florida Bound

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

Tim Stewart Find out more about Tim Stewart
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sanibel, Florida Bound

Ok ... I am officially sick of this weather! I think that south-western Ohio is experiencing a much colder and snowier winter than we have in the past and I, for one, do not like it at all. Since Lynn is due to return to Cleveland for a follow-up visit in mid February, I felt it was time to escape reality for a little bit and cash in some frequent flier points for a short trip down south!

Lynn and I fell in love with Sanibel Island after visiting on our honeymoon in July of 1996. We loved it so much that we returned three years later in July of 1999. ( Click here to view pictures from 1999 trip ) Unfortunately, July is not the best time for someone with HOCM to visit southern Florida. While we didn't know that Lynn had HCM at the time, we did quickly realize that her tolerance for the heat made outdoor activities rather limited. Therefore, what better time to visit Florida than in the winter?!?! And since our past visits seems to be spaced three years apart, I figured that it is just about time to return to the beautiful island.

It is my hope that this little trip down south will warm our hearts and melt away the frustrations that this disease can create … if only for a little while anyway. Everyone needs a little harmless escape from reality once in a while. I think that Lynn and I deserve one now.
    Thanks, Tim
    Forum Administrator

I hope you guys have fun!

Reenie
    Reenie

Husband has HCM.
    3 kids - ages 23, 21, & 19. All presently clear of HCM.

Comment

Tim,

You and Lynn go a forget all your troubles. My folks lived in Ft. Myers Beach for 16 years. I also enjoy it there too.

Bob
      Cleveland Myectomy Crew
      Member since November 2002

\"Chance favors the prepared mind!\"

Comment

The both of you deserve a wonderful vacation!!!!!!
        I hope you have a great time - my mom and dad have been Florida runaways for over 20 years - while we love NJ - nothing is better then a Florida winter -
        Oh I will be heading south in March!

Best to all!
        lisa
        Knowledge is power ... Stay informed!
        YOU can make a difference - all you have to do is try!

Dx age 12 current age 46 and counting!
        lost: 5 family members to HCM (SCD, Stroke, CHF)
        Others diagnosed living with HCM (or gene +) include - daughter, niece, nephew, cousin, sister and many many friends!
        Therapy - ICD (implanted 97, 01, 04 and 11, medication
        Currently not obstructed
        Complications - unnecessary pacemaker and stroke (unrelated to each other)

Comment

Come On Down!!!

Hi Tim........I live in the most southern bottom corner of Alabama....80 miles from Panama City Beach Fla.....so its times like this I love the winter months, sooooo mild. No DOWN SOUTH is not the place to be in the summer...well probably 8 months out of the year, for someone with HOCM. Thats what I have and its pure misery for me in the hot humid months. But right now it is wonderful. My husband and I are planning a Camping trip to the beach next month. I love the beach in the winter. So you all come on down and enjoy. Connie
          The BEST is yet to come !!

Comment

Don't forget to visit me at Disney World! I get to live here for 12 months out of the year. The humidity and heat in August is absolutly terrible. But we have also been going down to freezing tempretures at night. Nothing like a 50 degree tempreture change in 24 hours! If anyone goes to EPCOT stop by Innoventions and Look me up!

Mary Sharp

Comment

Lynn and Tim

I hope you have a fabulous time! I'll be wishing I was there too...it's too cold

Elizabeth

Comment

Grumble-Grumble ... Well, maybe someday ...

Well, after our Long Day on Friday, I guess we will not be going to Sanibel this week after all. (Read other post for details)
                Thanks, Tim
                Forum Administrator

Comment

As Lynn posted in the other thread:
                  ... So at this point we're postponing the trip indefinitely (we still intend to go, but aren't setting a date)...
                  So I guess we are not going this week ... hopefully soon!
                  Thanks, Tim
                  Forum Administrator

Comment

We are GOING TO FLORIDA !!!!
                    Lynn's labwork came back negitive and she is feeling much better so we have rescheduled the trip for this upcoming week. Only one week late is much better than never! We leave on Monday and return on Thursday. Then we are off to Cleveland for a visit with Dr. Lever.

I thank everyone for your support and encouragement during this very long week. After all that Lynn has been through this past year (and past week), I know that she deserves a trip to warmer weather for a little bit!

We'll talk to you soon! Now ... off to pack!
                    Thanks, Tim
                    Forum Administrator

Comment

Have a great time! Linda

Comment

I do not know many people who have "earned" a vacation more!

Have a wonderful time!
                        Lisa
                        Knowledge is power ... Stay informed!
                        YOU can make a difference - all you have to do is try!

Dx age 12 current age 46 and counting!
                        lost: 5 family members to HCM (SCD, Stroke, CHF)
                        Others diagnosed living with HCM (or gene +) include - daughter, niece, nephew, cousin, sister and many many friends!
                        Therapy - ICD (implanted 97, 01, 04 and 11, medication
                        Currently not obstructed
                        Complications - unnecessary pacemaker and stroke (unrelated to each other)

Comment

Back from Florida ... now in Cleveland!

Lynn and I had a wonderful (if not too short) vacation down to Florida only to return to reports of an incoming winter storm. Therefore we didn't even spend 24 hours in Dayton, OH before we packed up our car and drove to Cleveland for a scheduled appointment with Dr. Lever on Monday. It was a good thing we did too as I hear that we have over a foot of snow back home! Fortunately there is no snow up here in Cleveland and Kayla really enjoying staying in the hotel for an unexpected family vacation of sorts.

Hopefully, Lynn's appointment will go well tomorrow and we will be heading home on Tuesday. I will post more at that time.
                          Thanks, Tim
                          Forum Administrator

Comment

Tim, Glad you had a great vacation and safe trip to Cleveland. Good luck with the checkup. Here in Baltimore area, they are now revising our prediction to 30 - 36" before it stops on Mon pm. We're in big trouble when the wind starts. It's not unusal in the mountains of western MD, but here, this could be 3 or 4 yrs worth! No doubt, I'll be opening the door to a few snowbound travelers tonite who get as far as the drift at our house. That's where the removal stops. Linda

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
                            X