If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's your diet like?

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

mtlieb Find out more about mtlieb
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What's your diet like?

Thanks Jan. He does not currently have LVO, and his weight is good.
    WI'm wondering if certain dietary patterns can have an effect on slowing the progression of the HCM.
    Best, Carolyn

Comment

Maybe not what you are looking for, but my success came with the simple rules: eat whatever you like, just smaller portions and no going back for seconds or thirds, no matter how good it tastes. I also hit the weights 6 days a week (I don't work out on bowling day) and the treadmill for 30 minutes 4 days a week. I bowl weekly and golf when I can.

Good Luck
      Bob

Comment

Originally posted by RRKamm View Post
        I also hit the weights 6 days a week
        If you don't mind my asking, how much are you lifting? My restriction is fifty pounds.
        Last edited by mtlieb; 05-20-2011, 09:38 AM.
        "Some days you're the dog... some days you're the hydrant."

Comment

My doc just said "No more heavy lifting". He knows I used to be a powerlifter. Here's my basic routine. Tuesdays / Fridays Squats, leg curls, leg extensions. Wednesday / Saturday is side raises, bench press, cable crossovers, tricep extensions. Thursday / Sunday is Dumbell curls, lat pulls, cable rows, shrugs.

One week I will do 3 sets of 12 on everything, the next week 3 sets of 10, the next week 4 sets of 8, the next 5 sets of 6, then start all over again.

I use fairly light weights but I do the exercises very slowly and only take 90 seconds between sets. The weight has to be light enough so there is absolutely no holding of the breath while doing the exercise.
          Naturally, the weight I use varies by exercise. On the upper body days, after the weights I walk on the treadmill for 30 minutes at 3 - 3.2 miles an hour.

IM me if you have any further questions.
          Bob

Comment

Originally posted by RRKamm View Post
            I use fairly light weights but I do the exercises very slowly and only take 90 seconds between sets. The weight has to be light enough so there is absolutely no holding of the breath while doing the exercise.
            So you're building muscle on repetitions rather than weight? I like that approach. I've had bodybuilders tell me that this is impossible, that you can't break down the muscle and rebuild it without increasing weight. Which discouraged me. This is important for weightloss because muscle helps burn more calories. Your input has been greatly appreciated!

Comment

So you're building muscle on repetitions rather than weight?
              Not just reps, but doing them slowly. For example, on bench presses it takes 5 - 6 seconds to lower the weight to my chest and about 2 seconds to press it back up. I use that method on all my exercises. You can get a great burn doing it this way. It forces me to keep the weights relatively light and I repeat, no holding of the breath.

Good Luck,
              Bob

Comment

I have done the Scarsdale diet (you can google it for all the information) in the past for weight loss. It really helped me to re-learn proper eating habits, and is also wonderful for cardiac patients that cannot exercise at great length.

The 1st time I lost 27 lbs in 2.5 months. The 2nd time I combined it with a lot of cardio at the gym and wound up losing all my pregnancy weight and then some, total of 55 lbs. That was over a one and a half year period. I'm now back to my ideal weight and I jog/walk/run at lunch a few days a week.

Now I maintain my weight with at least one meal being a salad or something low-carb. I try to eat a protein-full breakfast, salad for lunch and a small dinner (whatever it may be, just a small portion). I found that I am not as hungry in the evening anymore, and that used to be when I would eat the most, therefore gaining weight quicker.
                36 yr old w/ HCM,l novel variant in TNNT2 gene
                2004 diagnosed
                2004 ICD implant
                DX with Low Cardiac Output - Heart transplant in discussion.
                2009 changed to new wireless Medtronic after battery died
                Father passed away 8/2000
                Oldest sister passed age 44 11/2000
                8/21/09 Son born, showing novel variant in TNNT2 gene

Comment

Hi Jenn I remember you discussing Scarsdale here in previous posts. That's wonderful that you were able to lose all that weight and keep it off. You should be very proud. I've done Scarsdale in the past and saw great results as well, but as a vegetarian now I don't know how easy it would be to do. At any rate, good to hear from you!

Comment

For building my muscles i'm following a customized diet plan. I think the whole lifestyle must be changed in a good way to achieve fitness goals. I like to eat eggs, salmon, yogurt for my daily diet, you can see list of foods for building muscles here https://www.aqfsports.com/blogs/news...-muscle-growth . I've also modified my workout plan, the only goal of mine is to invest my time and efforts to become a person who will be fit and healthy.

Comment

I reduced carbohydrates in my day to day consumption. I eat like a piece of a toasted bread with humus or scrambled eggs or tomato and avocado plus I put a tea spoon of olive oil. And I eat 1 fruit during day. For lunches and dinners it is usually protein (meat or fish) and vegetables. I've reduced salt a lot and I've stopped eating sweet things. Currently I am in my parent's house in Larnaca here and in 2 months I've lost 7 kilos already which I am very happy about.
                      Last edited by Kifoje; 07-31-2020, 06:39 AM.

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
                      X