If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's your diet like?

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

mtlieb Find out more about mtlieb
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's your diet like?

I'm always interested in hearing about the diets of other HCM'ers and what works for people here, both with regard to weightloss and symptoms. Are you following a specific plan (atkins, south beach, etc) or do you have a general way of eating that seems to work best for you? Would love to hear about it and get some ideas from you folks.
    "Some days you're the dog... some days you're the hydrant."

Re: What's your diet like?

We have discussed before, Jim, but I have had great success with Weight Watchers. I find it easy to use because it is so flexible, and you don't have to eat their food at all. They teach you how to eat what they sell at the grocery, how to eat out, how to cook healthily, etc. You can incorporate or avoid foods if you don't like them, etc. They mostly encourage fruits and veggies, and filling foods along with lean proteins. Other fattening foods are also allowed, but you have to limit their quantity.
    Daughter of Father with HCM
    Diagnosed with HCM 1999.
    Full term pregnancy - Son born 11/01
    ICD implanted 2/03; generator replaced 2/2005 and 2/2012
    Myectomy 8/11/06 - Joe Dearani - Mayo Clinic.

Comment

Cynthia you have done so well with WW you should be so proud! I know you have had great results with it. Just wondering what everyone else is doing also. Some seem to be doing low-carb whereas others like me are doing the vegetarian thing. Enjoy hearing everyone's different diet strategies and how it has helped them deal with their HCM.

Comment

I lost 100 lbs in the late 90's, and gained it back when a bicycle accident put me off work and off my bike for 2 months. I was commuting a very moderate 12 miles a day on my bike, but we moved and I started working from home. This Fall I found myself almost as heavy as I was a decade ago and desperate to get back. The first time, I used a very simple regimen: always take less than half of what you think you want without regard to what it is. Keep in mind to eat until you are not hungry, no more. If you just want to eat, eat salad with seasoning, but no dressing. The pounds melted away in 1999. So I decided to go on my old diet, and I just could not get into it. I tried Weight Watchers. I gained weight. My wife and daughter decided to go on the South Beach diet. I went along with the program, somewhat skeptical. For some odd reason, Phase 1 of South Beach kicked me into the mode of thought that I was in 1999 and I am following my old regimen, with some help from the South Beach choices-- low carbohydrates and saturated fats, lots of protein. Where I differ from South Beach is I still watch portions like a hawk, keeping them very small. Lo and behold, I've lost 30 lbs.
        Last edited by marvwaschke; 05-13-2011, 09:59 PM.

Comment

Mtlieb thanks for this thread! I'm trying to get motivated to ...change my lifestyle and lose weight. Need to lose some 30-50 lbs and on 2 meds for high cholesteral & triglycerides - not to say not good for the heart condition! Right now on no diet to speak of except switched to diet soda a few mnths ago... Appreciate info on WW but don't have funds right now. Will look into Southbeach diet. Afraid not able to do vegetarian-maybe it's a mental block but feel I need a lot of protein. since I'm also a smoker i tend to throw up my hands saying cant do it (meaning both-so dont work on either) But I think i'm at a point where need to do what I can right now
          Thanks again for the posts. Would also love to hear anyone elses food plans

Jan

Comment

Hello to All,

In the past I had the best luck going to TOPS meetings and following the diet plan the doctor and dietician made for me (I am diabetic also). It was basically portion control and making sure I ate enough food and not starve myself. TOPS ($86.00 a year) was always significantly cheaper than WW ($9.22-$13.00 per week), but you really need to look for a good group that doesn't want to just sit around and gab, but do things. Now entering into that 50s age group, I have plumped up again from not only eating incorrectly, but because my muscles aren't working right and exercising is a struggle. Once I get a handle on the muscle issues, I plan on getting back into a TOPS group.

Be well and good luck to all wanting and needing to loss those nasty pounds, Janet
            Believe in the goodness of mankind.

Comment

My 19 year-old son was diagnosed with HCM Nov 2010, and I was diagnosed several months later (currently asymptomatic). Dealing more now with long-term issues, and interested in experiences with diet and symptoms. My son's symptoms (mainly chest pains) seem worse after heavy meals. Wondering if there are particular foods or types of foods known to be especially good or bad for HCM symptoms, also diet patterns and HCM (e.g., read somewhere that it is not good to eat heavy foods close to bed time).
              Thanks, Carolyn

Comment

Hi Carolyn -
                In regard to your son's symptoms after heavy meals.
                When I was being diagnosed for obstruction my HCM cardiologist told me about another patient who had symptoms after eating heavy meals. Do you know if your son has LVO?

Also I've always been told that it's not good to have a heavy meal close to bed time for your health in general, heart, digestion etc.
                I don't know particular foods for people with HCM but my local doctors are asking me to lose weight as i mentioned in prev post.
                Hoping things go well for you and your son.

Jan

Comment

this is maybe not a diet but there is an app on the iphone called myfitpal. its pretty much a food counter. i have dropped 20 lbs in 2.5 months.
                  good luck

Comment

There have been many great ideas in this thread but I'm also very interested in what people are eating, not just how they cut calories. Are most here cutting carbs? What do you typically eat on a daily basis?

Comment

The only meat I eat is some chicken once in awhile - I never was a meat eater. I do enjoy fish, especially salmon and I will steam a piece at least twice a week - I started using the steamer bags for the microwave, put the fish with some lemon juice or rice vinegar, takes about 4 mins. I also steam vegetables.

When I am not feeling too tired to "cook" I like to marinate portabello mushroom caps (the large ones) and then grill them.

I will also make a salad, add some sliced hard boiled eggs - the only thing I use for dressing is one of my many flavored vinegars. In case you haven't guessed by now I really like vinegar.

Gee, that all sounds so healthy so why I am so overweight. -- Oops, its all the pasta.

Marian

Comment

With the app I was talking about, you eat anything you wish. You input your info(weight, height, age) and what goal you have(lose, maintain, or gain weight). and it tells you how many calories you can it for your goals. you have a diary and when you add any type of food with the amount you ate it will count the calories for you. and it will give you back calories for any exercize you do. it is pretty cool.

Comment

In direct answer to the question, the only luck that I have ever had in losing or maintaining weight is religiously counting calories with a food journal carried around daily. Its the basic law of thermodynamics--energy in and energy out needs to balance or be in the negative to lose weight. if you write down everything that you eat, its amazing how many calories that you will find you consume.

One specific dietary change I made was switching from cereal in the morning to a smoothy made with fruit, yogurt and protein powder. I seem to have more energy and not the carbo lull that I was getting with cereal or a bagel or the like.

Here is one idea. There is another website called cardiac athletes that continuously runs a "weight loss challenge" where people on one thread submit their starting weight and every two weeks submit their current weight and the person who started the thread calculates and ranks everyone's percentage weight loss. its kind of like the biggest loser contest on TV. The competition element of the thread kind of keeps people motivated to keep at it. I have not participated at that website because I got in late, and many of the people there are hard core athletes with various heart problems. I would be willing to start a thread using the same concept here if enough people would participate. Its obviously on the honor system as everyone reports their own starting weight and periodic weights, which might be somewhat embarrassing, but hey, nobody knows how tall you are so the weight number is kind of irrelevant without height. I am brave enough to say my starting weight today is 216 and I am gunning to lose 30lbs by the end of summer.
                          Jall

Diagnosed with unobstructed HCM in 2004 after a bad experience playing tennis
                          Graduated to obstructed HCM by Dec, 2008.

Life outside of HCM: Law, Photography, Tennis, Music, raising kids and camping

Comment

Hi Jall, Everyone,

I like the idea of a "weight loss challenge" - I'm in . Current weight abt 172 lbs. (will have to check) and would like to lose 30 lbs as well. Maybe it could be from Memorial day to Labor Day?

Jan

Comment

Originally posted by Jall View Post
                              I am brave enough to say my starting weight today is 216 and I am gunning to lose 30lbs by the end of summer.
                              Sigh... I wish I could say that I only weighed as much as you. I'd be up for a summer challenge right here on the forum!

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
                              X