If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What type of work do you do

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

phantom6624 Diagnosed HCM 10-10, ICD, 1-17-11 and nothing else yet so far Find out more about phantom6624
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jefjam7812
    replied
    I am Online Marketer, I Use to promote Other Business Through Ad word Or FB Ads.

Leave a comment:

• Taddy
    replied
    I'm a freelancer. I work a lot at the computer. But love my job

Leave a comment:

• Dahilla
    replied
    I'm an online store manager. Mostly I process orders and keep reports. It's not difficult and brings money.

Leave a comment:

• parisatugnait
    replied
    sorry to hear that, I am still a student now

Leave a comment:

• judyldavis71
    replied
    My son was diagnosed with HCM when he was 12 years old. He had a defibrillator implanted at the age of 17. He has never had an episode but due to him riding dirt bikes and does have slight scaring they felt he needed it.. Now he is 22 years old and has so many career ideas but, he most likely wont pass a physical due to limitations of not lifting over 50lbs. He was in college for engine repair and now he in school for the Applied process tech class, you can work at refineries. Just found out he most likely will not get a job in that field. His defibrillator is an issue, he thought about cardiac sonogram, it states you have to be able to lift over 50lbs. I don't know where to go now to help him. Any suggestions on careers? Any thoughts would be appreciated

Leave a comment:

• LindaSo
    replied
    Re: What type of work do you do

Marc,
    Boxers, Briefs or a Victoria Secret Angel? Thanks for this morning's laugh !! You always come thru !!
    L

Leave a comment:

• KSidebottom
    replied

I'm a Administrative Secretary in a High School. I was wondering if you could teach construction or mechanics in your state at a Vocational/Technical School. Some places will give you a different type of certificate that allows you to teach towards your trade if you have experience. Not sure if you would be interested in teaching but there are a lot of people that are trying to learn those trades and you might be able to help them learn.

Leave a comment:

• mbcube
    replied

Underwear model. My having HCM seems un-affected by the long hours under the bright lights or the stress of posing in cotton briefs.

Truly, there are a few jobs out there that us HCM'r can't (or shouldn't) do, but the opportunities are endless. Its what make you happy (and pays the bills) that matters most.

Leave a comment:

• mark720
    replied

in the same boat as most now worked 38yrs in auto parts and now with restrictions cant lift or carry anything over 15-20lbs. ( each person is different as per condition) tough to find something at 53and when they get your mediacal report with a icd its like thanks but.....................

Leave a comment:

• Woody
    replied

Im a Sod Grower ( Owner ) I grow sod for Golf Courses and sports fields. I had a Myectomy Nov 9th 2009 and i was so sick i could hardly walk. Im back to work and better than ever. Check out my web site at www.emeraldkikuyu.com

Leave a comment:

• Farmerdancow
    replied

I am a farmer for the current time. Long days and hard work, but I love it, so maybe that's what keeps me ticking? I just know if I can't get out and feed the cows someday it will kill me. I am very aware of my HCM so I take it relatively easy.

Leave a comment:

• amyshields
    replied

I have a medical administration background but haven't worked since June. I was able to work from home for a couple months but finally pulled the plug on that, too.

Now I do my best to take care of my health and care for my husband and 4 kids I find that I NEED things to keep me mentally "busy" so I started a home business (I make soap/bath products) and started working on genealogy.

Leave a comment:

• crystal
    replied

I am a nurse practitioner in hospitalist medicine

Leave a comment:

• scottonbike
    replied

Hello

I would suggest two things.

You can take a test that will give you an idea of what kind of jobs would fit you and your personality. I thought it was a lot of BS until I took the test and realized it had jobs that I have never even thought of. I had never heard of a stationary engineer or a few other jobs that it had suggested for me. I looked at the stationary engineer job and really thought about it, and then my old job recalled me.

This is very obvious but look at growth jobs. No reason to look into a job that has no potential.

Scott

Leave a comment:

• Moosedreams
    replied

Dear Phantom:
    I am a CPA so desk/computer work is what I do. Not a real issue post myectomy as far as physical needs. I am lucky that way.

However, a CPAs work load can be large and stressful. I am trying to cut back but I went back to work 5 weeks post myectomy and at 6 weeks I was doing 10+ hour days. Pretty wiped out at the end of the day. Recently had an AICD and was back to 12 hours a day in the week after. Again really wiped out!

I am trying dillegently to hire someone to take the load off but it is hard even with getting a zillion resumes to pick the right person. I am really looking forward to being able to step back a bit, lower the stress and enjoy life a little more.

I wish you luck in your upcoming changes. I am sorry you can no longer do what you had been doing and had hoped to continue. HCM does leave a wake in its path for all of us.

Toodle pip... Moosedreams

Leave a comment:

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
X