If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Alcohol Ablation

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

Robbie Find out more about Robbie
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alcohol Ablation

I am 1 year out from my alcohol septal ablation. It was preformed in S.C. by Dr.Spencer. From what I've seen on the web site not many have had it. I don't recall readimg that anyone had gone through it. I would really like to talk to anyone that has had the procedure.

Robbie

Robbie, I am sure that you will have others to talk to soon. It might take them a bit to get used to the new site, but you will hear from others soon.

Reenie

Husband has HCM.
    3 kids - ages 23, 21, & 19. All presently clear of HCM.

Comment

ablation

Hi Robbie
      I am 2 years post the ablation and myectomy. Any questions you have feel free to ask.
      Tara
      Tara -alcohol ablation 2000, myectomy 2000

Comment

Tara -I see you have had both procedures in the same year... this is a bit unusual? Whats the rest of the story (there is always a story )
        Lisa
        Knowledge is power ... Stay informed!
        YOU can make a difference - all you have to do is try!

Dx age 12 current age 46 and counting!
        lost: 5 family members to HCM (SCD, Stroke, CHF)
        Others diagnosed living with HCM (or gene +) include - daughter, niece, nephew, cousin, sister and many many friends!
        Therapy - ICD (implanted 97, 01, 04 and 11, medication
        Currently not obstructed
        Complications - unnecessary pacemaker and stroke (unrelated to each other)

Comment

abation/surgery

Hi
          I was diagnosed at the age of 24 at that time I was given medication as a first step. The medication was not working for me and I was given the option of having either the ablation or the surgery done. So in feb 2000 I opted for the ablation. I felt great afterwards. As time wore on I began to feel worse, to the point that I could not walk to the bathroom without being short of breath. At that time most of my days were spent sleeping. It was no way to live life. So in Nov 2000 I had the myectomy done. Due to having both surguries done I had a pacemaker implanted. I am now drug free and have been feeling well since. Thats the short version of my story.
          Tara

Comment

That is the short version I am sure... sounds like you have had a difficult time ...I hope that is all in your past
            Best wishes,
            Lisa

Others diagnosed living with HCM (or gene +) include - daughter, niece, nephew, cousin, sister and many many friends!
            Currently not obstructed

Comment

Alcohol Ablation

Tara, I am 50 and had the alcohol ablation Jan.2002. I had it done in S.Carolina. I am starting to have symtoms again. Where was your procedure done?

Comment

ablation

Hello
                I am sorry to hear that you are beginning to have symptoms again. I know how that feels. To this day I continually wait for my symptoms to return. I had both of my procedures done in Toronto, Canada.

Comment

Hello Terra. I'm pretty sure I've heard about you! When I was in Toronto getting all the info on the S.E.A., one of the questions I asked were "in all of these operations, have you had any that went wrong". "Well....." then your name came up. They explained to me, in retrospect, that they felt they didn't do enough, that they didn't target a big enough area. They said every time you had a problem you had to see the same doctors in Toronto that treated you, which is difficult, (did you have to fly?) and also that you were a student and all these interuptions and problems you were having were recking your life, so instead of giving the S.E.A. another shot, you opted for the myectomy, which they have much more experience in doing, to get it over and done with.

Your story is one of the reasons why I chose the S.E.A. surgery, because, like you, if the S.E.A didn't work, I could always come back for the myectomy. A backup plan if you would.

Funny thing, during the procedure, they did it twice. They did the first first down a big artery, but after that they felt it wasn't a big enough area, so they went down a smaller one and gave another shot to further decrease the blockage. I can't help but wonder if they didn't learn something from you that helped me.
                  Septal Ethanol Ablation patient

Comment

Hello
                    I hope that everything is going well for you post your ablation. I glad to hear that my story has helped you along the way.
                    At the time that i was diagnosed I was living in Britich Columbia attending school. By doing some research had found that Dr. Wigle was the best HOCM specilist that Canada had to offer, I immediately went to him. This was all at a cost as he was across the country. During the two years that I had several complications I became a frequent flyer. During this time I also had to withdrawl from school twice. My life at that time was is choas. I have now moved to Toronto where I am still trying to obtain a degree, that I started many years ago. I am now much closer to my family and that character Dr. Wigle.
                    I wish you the best
                    Tara

Comment

that character Dr. Wigle.

You have that right.
                      Lisa

Currently not obstructed

Comment

Re: Alcohol Ablation

The Jam. I can realate to the story. I too was a victim of a area that was targeted to small. Although my septum was reduced from 32mm-18mm from my first ablation, I still felt crappy. My septum looked pregnant. Now I am a good solid 30mm again and about to have my second ablation, but now I am considering a myectomy.

Comment

hi
                          i had alcohol ablation on dec 17 2003. i was diagnosed in 1997.
                          had been slowly going downhill from there .took verpamil for
                          most of the time it was not helping much after awhile. one set
                          of doctors wanted to do mytrol valve replacement with a machinal
                          valve. did not offer any other treatment. got a second opinion
                          and had the ablation. i am 60 years old and a tax preparer so
                          during tax season i work about 80 hours a week. i feel great.

petal

Comment

I’m very glad to hear your feeling great. Sure don’t want to lose any Petals.
                            Burt

Comment

Hello,

My husband had alcohol ablation Nov. 2003 and is doing well. I noticed that several of you that have had the procedure had symptoms return. Is that common? Is there anyone that has had it done long term and did not have to have a repeat or myectomy and is still doing well? Just wondering. I have been encouraged with my husband's progress, but am wondering about the future.

Paula

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
                              X