If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does anyone with an ICD/pacemaker have breast implants?

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

LindsayDavis I was diagnosed with HCM when I was 17 Find out more about LindsayDavis
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Does anyone with an ICD/pacemaker have breast implants?

Hi Cynaburst,
    Thanks so much for responding and for the links, some of those are amazing! Mine is so noticeable compared to them. Kats is great, thank you for sharing Im going to take the photo with me when I get it revised.

My device was originally only an inch or so above where you see it now in the photo, they literally implanted it in my breast to conceal it. The only mistake they made was not anchoring it, so it has fallen, and its upside down...so the top plastic part is poking me..kind of painful. Yours is higher and behind the muscle? It looks beautiful I will have to take your picture to my electrophysiologist when I get it revised! Thanks so much for all of your help!
    ----------

Hi Eileen!
    Thanks so much for writing!! I was told to search for your posts on breast implants before but Im still getting the hang of this message board and couldn't figure it out.

I'm so glad you shared your story with me, it really has made me back off of the idea of getting implants. I think subconsciously I was really looking for someone to tell me how dangerous it was. You see so many stories in the media about how dangerous plastic surgery is on HEALTHY people let alone an HCM afflicted person, Im glad I was able to find a prime example in you.

having my ICD in my breast already puts me in the complicated category, its a pain they didn't tell me about before having surgery. Whenever they do echos its so painful having them jam the wand all over it and one even pushed my icd down in my body, it hurt so bad. On top of that I asked my doctor many questions before the ICD surgery that i never really got responses to such as, "will I be able to breast feed when I have children" etc. I don't know if I would recommend this ICD placement to anyone until they have learned more about the placement and side effects.

I was looking at other posts of yours and I'm finding we have a lot of symptoms in common, especially fatigue, dizziness, syncope. I literally feel like I cant have a normal life...Im always so tired, it often hurts to even walk across a room. I used to always get the dreaded "lazy" comments from people too until they knew how bad it was. Its so frustrating to go from an active ballerina 7 years ago to this now. Did your doctors ever do anything or tell you anything that helped? Im so frustrated with mine. Dr lever is always so rushed to really give me help on that.

thanks again for writing, sorry for writing you a novel back haha! Its just great to find people, and a whole community I can relate to. I hope you have a great weekend! Thank you for all of your help! talk to you soon!
    ----------

Hi Marielos!
    Thank you for writing! It sounds like we have the exact same surgery and scars! Its so nice to meet someone who knows exactly what Im feeling about the exact same problems! They placed mine behind my breast too because they were afraid it would stick out on me

I'm glad your surgery came out great for you! Do you know if they anchored your ICD to anything inside? Mine was not anchored and has fallen below the scar under my breast.

Let me know! thank you again for responding, have a great day!
    ----------

Hi Rainey!
    Thank you so much for the response and compliments you are so sweet! I will absolutely be using my title to spread HCM awareness, thats why I decided to do pageants in the first place last year, to give me a voice to convey messages, we have a good message with HCM that should be heard!!

I just saw you will be getting an ICD at CCF! I am the town over from them and am often there for my care, if you need anything at all dont hesitate to ask! SO lucky we are to live so close to the best hospital for heart care in the world!! When I got my ICD there they had me moved to a weird wing of the hospital, as I was coming out of the anesthetic in my room I looked out my door and saw Robin WIlliams walking by, I thought I was hallucinating! He had just had his surgery there. Royalty often goes there for care as well as many other celebrities and sports figures. So when youre driving there and starting to get nervous(it is inevitable going into something youve never had done before), just think of who that hospital draws. CCF is the best of the best and wont let anything happen to you.

Besides that, having an ICD surgery is a piece of cake. I was back on my exercise bike a week later, just follow the basic rules the doctor gives you about weight restrictions etc. Like I said if you need anything, or even want to just talk about it I'm here! Good luck and you will be in my prayers! Have a great weekend!!
    ----------

Hi Bob!
    haha thank you you are sweet!! Trust me there is a big scar, I may have to post a better picture of it sometime. Be careful at the gym!!! keep your hr under 100...or maybe thats not for everyone. Thanks again for the compliments!! Hope you have a great weekend!
    Age 28
    Diagnosed @ 17 years old
    ICD march 09

Comment

Lindsay,
      There is one thing that I want to mention. We all heal differently. Some of us are proned to keloid scars and some of us aren't. You should have a general idea of how you heal based on your existing healed incision. Some of us have white healed scars, while others have red angry scars. Certainly if you can get a plastics guy in on the procedure, you can be guaranteed that it will look the best it possibly can.

I have understood (I have no first hand knowledge) that CCF does not like to put them under the muscle, therefore, yes, they do stick out when just under the skin. Mine was recommended at CCF, but I had it done locally and I had no idea what to expect it to look like. I looked at all those pics from the links that Cyn sent. Glad I didn't see them before I had it done because that would have freaked me out. Mine was placed under the muscle and the 2 inch incision is way off to the side, much like Cyns. I came home with no bruising, some steri strips covering it and some minor swelling. As it healed, it has almost disappeared. Unless someone knows I have an ICD, they would never be able to find it. Maybe they thought I modeled lingerie? ha ha ha ha ha Now, that's funny !

If you do get an angry scar, injections of steriods into the scar will make it recede so that its actually smaller. I had that done to the top portion of my myectomy scar. Actually, the 7 inch incision actually shrunk to about 6 inches. I no longer have a nasty tight keloid scar as I once did. In fact, because of my freckles and tan, it too is not very noticable.

Good luck with your decisions. When will you have this done?
      Onward and Upward !

Diagnosed 4/07 HCM with fixed & dynamic obstruction
      Myectomy with resected cordonae tendonae 4/08 CCF
      ICD 10/08

Comment

Lindsay, you are beautiful. Congratulations on your win! Thank you for spreading the word about HCM. That's a great thing and all of us on on this site appreciate it.

Several of my family members live in Ohio and are scheduled to see Dr. Lever. I am trying to get my twin brother to go - I will send him your picture and tell him you're there all the time. Tee hee!!

Lindsay, you model for a living and my opinion is that you should do what you need to do to feel good, as long as you are in good hands and safe. Don't let anyone judge you -- it is a very personal decision.

Best of luck to you!
        Susan
        Diagnosed at age 53 in April 2010 (after having been
        "cleared" several times)
        Into running & cycling - cleared to continue at mild to
        moderate level
        Extensive family history
        Lost my mom, aunt and nephew to SCD
        St. Judes "Fortify VR" ICD implanted 8/30/2010 "Ces't Watt"

Comment

Hi Lindsay,

I do not know why they put the ICD inside your breast near your heart. Didn't the EP doctor and the cardiologist communicate about the images they would need to see of your heart later on?
          How can some doctors be so brilliant and then so not smart at the same time?

Anyway, I am sorry they did this. I know that feeling about the wand during echos, it hurts. They have to dig so hard into my rib cage and my chest because of my breast implant -- but I did that to myself. Those doctors did that to you.

All around breast implants are a bad idea for any woman, unless they are for reconstruction, such as after breast cancer.

Breast implants last on average 7 to 10 years (10 at the most). Then when they replace them, especially if one capsules (forms scar tissue), they have to scape most or all the breast tissue that surronds the implant out; leaving the woman with little to no real breast tissue left. Then they put in new and usually a little larger implants to compensate for the loss of breast tissue.
          In my case for instance, after all this time, I am all implants.
          (TMI -- Mine are smaller now and they sag, but a good example of this is to look at Pam Anderson.)

Lindsay, I am sorry to hear you feel fatigued at times. I know the feeling, always have. I have been called lazy so many times in my life, I wish I had a nickle for everytime. Many times, I was told I was out of shape and I really thought I was out of shape, so I would work out more. Then I would get even more tired. It was very confusing and frustrating.
          I remember being 25 years old, I was thin and all muscle and I could not do the same activities that people who were older and overweight could do. It was so puzzling to me. When I was diagnosed at 31, it all made sense.

You are a very beautiful woman. And I know that all things will work out the best for you. You are very young and still very strong.
          And I am sorry I did not mention it before, I was so focused on the question... But Congratulations on your Title !!!

All the best,
          Eve
          49 yrs. old
          Diagnosed at 31.
          Cardiac Arrest 2003, RF Ablation in AZ, no positive result -
          First ICD 2003 - In 2006 lead went bad, abandoned lead, threaded new one & new generator
          Myectomy 5-5-05 at The Cleveland Clinic - Dr. Lever & Dr. Smedira -heart surgeon.
          Currently have Grade 2 Diastolic Dysfunction with pulmonary hypertension & pulmonary edema.
          My brother passed away suddenly at 34 yrs old from HCM.
          2 teenage children, ages 17 and 15.

Comment

So sorry for the late response! Got very busy with work, school and then my mom got pretty sick and had to have emergency surgery. So I haven’t had a lot of computer time.

Linda- I had no idea you could get injections into scars! I really am going to look into that since mine is nasty. When I had my original surgery done they had a plastic surgeon in there who helped with everything and then gave me special scar cream, I thought I was healing up well and then it just seemed to stop mid progress. I’m going to look into the injections. I think after all the advice here I am not going to put my body through a traumatic surgery just for a little more breast. So glad I found this message board! I saw you are treated at CCF, I live 5 minutes from there. If youre ever here for a visit would love to meet for coffee!

Susan- Thank you so much for the congrats! It is so great to have a platform to spread awareness now, Ive been talking up HCM any chance I get!

I hope you get your twin brother into Lever, he is great! I am always around the area and at the clinic so if youre ever here for a visit let me know, maybe we could meet up for coffee!

Thanks again for the encouragement I really appreciate your words!

Eileen- I think when they installed the ICD it was my electrophysiologists first time putting it where he did. I remember him having to consult other doctors throughout the process. SO I don’t know if he knew at the time it would be hard to get echo images with it there.

I really appreciate the words and advice you sent me. You helped me decide I don’t want to put my body through implants at this time. Right now its just me wanting them for my simple insecurities, but down the line if the ICD becomes a problem I will have to either rule modeling out or go for implants. No job is worth my life though.

It is so crazy to hear of your life encounters and the fatigue and problems you go through due to HCM, I feel like Im reading my brain when I read entries from you, I can most definitely relate to practically everything you write. I am so very happy they were able to find your HCM when you were 31 so you had an explanation of why you were so “different”, and be able to help people like me down the line.

Thanks so much again for your advice, and thank you for the congrats! Your words were so kind! I hope you are doing great and feeling amazing! I saw you are treated at CCF! If you are ever there for a visit I would love to meet up for coffee and talk more about our HCM! I feel like I could learn a lot from you. Have a great day!
            Age 28
            Diagnosed @ 17 years old
            ICD march 09

Comment

Hey Lindsay! My name is Lindsey, I'm 26 and was diagnosed with Brugada Syndrome almost a year ago. I too have considered a breast augmentation. I've always been interested in getting one, but since I have an icd am kinda scared. Are you still considering getting it done?

Comment

Originally posted by taken1111 View Post
                Hey Lindsay! My name is Lindsey, I'm 26 and was diagnosed with Brugada Syndrome almost a year ago. I too have considered a breast augmentation. I've always been interested in getting one, but since I have an icd am kinda scared. Are you still considering getting it done?
                Hey Lindsey!
                nice name! So after talking with several members on here, especially Eileen(you might want to read the posts she wrote on this posts, she has had breast augmentation and has HCM and an ICD) I've decided to hold off for now on Breast Augmentation. Maybe I will decide implants are more of a priority for me down the line, but I just want to focus on getting super healthy right now. Plus with any surgery there is always risks associated, and that is un needed risk I want to put my body through at this time. You should weigh your risks and benefits beforehand with your doctor if you decide to go through it. Keep me updated what he says if you do! I sent you a private message too before I saw this! Hope you have a great week darling! Stay healthy!
                Age 28
                Diagnosed @ 17 years old
                ICD march 09

Comment

Lindsay,

I am a husband to my 45 year old wife who has had an ICD implanted beneath her breast (replaced twice already), for about 15 years. she had exercised induced VT, an unsuccessful ablation and then the ICD put in. she is gonna need it replaced again soon.

at 5'6", 125 lbs. as a 34A, she is very self-conscious, and would love to fill out dresses, tops, etc... she is looking into breast implants at the time of her next surgery. I know you are not an expert, but I did read your posts on this thread you created about your own research into the possiblility of the same to help your modeling career.

since the ICD/implants cases seem to be small in number, wondering what your research found. I love my wife and am just trying to help her make an informed decision.

Thanks for any info you can provide...

H.

P.S. couldn't help but check out your modeling pics... scar or no scar, implants or not, you are beautiful and very photogenic. Great smile too!!! ( I am a DDS).

Comment

Originally posted by LindsayDavis View Post
                    Hey Lindsey!
                    nice name! So after talking with several members on here, especially Eileen(you might want to read the posts she wrote on this posts, she has had breast augmentation and has HCM and an ICD) I've decided to hold off for now on Breast Augmentation. Maybe I will decide implants are more of a priority for me down the line, but I just want to focus on getting super healthy right now. Plus with any surgery there is always risks associated, and that is un needed risk I want to put my body through at this time. You should weigh your risks and benefits beforehand with your doctor if you decide to go through it. Keep me updated what he says if you do! I sent you a private message too before I saw this! Hope you have a great week darling! Stay healthy!
                    Thanks so much for the quick response! I too am unsure if it is worth it! For one thing the risk another I know the expenses will be a lot more then prior the ICD. Thanks again for responding and take care!

Comment

Hey Lindsay,

We seem to have alot in common! Im in the entertainment world too living in New York City and I have had many people tell me that my myectomy scar will not get me cast. There's nothing I can do about so I have to wear high collared shirts to auditions.

I had my first ICD implanted when I was 17 and he did it on the left side of my breast. and that scar ended up a little puffy. I just had my second ICD implanted and that doctor said my device dropped a little low and she had to make a new incision. It's right above and to the right of my old scar. It looks like it was unnecessary and it has now keloided over I'm not happy about it and now in certain kinds of lighting, you can see it protruding through my skin. I can't tell you how many times I have looked down and cried because of it. My boyfriend said it looks beautiful- but they're supposed to say that, aren't they?!

Anyhoo, with the implants- I want some too. I have a small B but want a small C just bc of the ICD showing up. I don't know if I will ever get it but my cardiologist said I could if I wanted bc of the placement. So you need to know where they implanted it- above or below any muscle.

Hope it all turns out well!
                      Kat
                      24 years old
                      ICD Implant at 18
                      Septal Myectomy at 20

**celebrate life**
                      ceiliúradh a dhéanamh ar an saol

Comment

this thread is pretty old but I was wondering if maybe someone might still be responding. I have an ICD implant and due to the recent 2016 warning against tissue expanders and the magnetic properties, they will not give me artificial implants. DIEP procedure cannot be done because of the length of the procedure either I am being referred to a top tier hospital because I cannot believe these are my only choices. Does anyone have any insights? These are going to be my questions to the next doctor:

Can I remove ICD totally? Never fired and I had a cardiac ablation 1 year after implant of the ICD
                        Can I move ICD to a different part of the body and use the magnetic tissue expander?
                        Is there not an artificial implant procedure that can be done with a non magnetic tissue expander
                        Is there not an artificial implant procedure with no expander?
                        Can the Diep procedure in two parts so as to not risk the longer surgery?

Comment

Dviolet....
                          You might want to call the HCMA and speak to someone or try the HCMA Facebook group which has a much more active format....I’m afraid I personally do not know much about ICDs and I’d like for you to get in touch with some resources to help answer your questions
                          After years of symptoms:
                          Officially Diagnosed HOCM 2006
                          Myectomy 3/11/13 at non-COE
                          Extended Myectomy 7/23/14
                          At Mayo with Dr. Joseph Dearani

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
                          X