If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Coffee in your life?

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

Pam Alexson single mother of 3 wonderful young adults;a special ed teacher, an RN and a senior accountant. Find out more about Pam Alexson
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coffee in your life?

Reported March 3, 2010
    Coffee Prevents Heart Arrhythmia?

(Ivanhoe Newswire) -- Good news for Starbucks denizens -- a few cups of coffee each day may actually prevent you from being hospitalized for heart rhythm disturbances.

A California study by Kaiser Permanente found men and women who reported drinking four or more cups of coffee each day had an 18 percent lower risk of hospitalization for heart rhythm disturbances. Those who reported drinking one to three cups each day had a 7 percent reduction in risk.

The study involved 130,054 men and women, 18 to 90 years old, with the majority less than 50 years old. About 2 percent were hospitalized for rhythm disturbances, 50 percent for atrial fibrillation, the most common heart rhythm problem. The 18 percent reduction in risk was consistent among men and women, different ethnic groups, smokers and nonsmokers.

"Coffee drinking is related to lower risk of hospitalization for rhythm problems, but this association does not prove cause and effect," lead author Arthur Klatsky, M.D., senior consultant in cardiology at the Kaiser Permanente Medical Care Program, was quoted as saying. "These data should be reassuring to people who drink moderate amounts of coffee that their habit is not likely to cause a rhythm disturbance."

The researchers examined hospitalization data by elapsed time after the initial examination. For hospitalization within 10 years, the reduction in hospitalizations for people who consumed four cups of coffee or more each day reached 28 percent.

"This study does not mean that people should drink coffee to prevent rhythm problems," Dr. Klatsky said. "It supports the idea that people who are at risk for rhythm problems or who have rhythm problems do not need to abstain from coffee."

SOURCE: Presented at American Heart Association's Conference on Cardiovascular Disease Epidemiology and Prevention, March 2, 2010
    Dx @ 47 with HOCM & HF:11/00
    Guidant ICD:Mar.01, Recalled/replaced:6/05 w/ Medtronic device
    Lead failure,replaced 12/06.
    SF lead recall:07,extracted leads and new device 2012
    [email protected] Tufts, Boston:10/5/03; age 50. ( [email protected] 240 mmHg ++)
    Paroxysmal A-Fib: 06-07,2010 controlled w/sotalol dosing
    Genetic mutation 4/09, mother(d), brother, son, gene+
    Mother of 3, grandma of 3:Tim,27,Sarah,33w/6 y/o old Sophia, 5 y/o Jack, Laura 34, w/ 5 y/o old Benjamin

Re: Coffee in your life?

I read this yesterday and was a bit perplexed. Isn't this counter to everything we have always been told? I thought that caffeine can be a cause of a-fib?
    Daughter of Father with HCM
    Diagnosed with HCM 1999.
    Full term pregnancy - Son born 11/01
    ICD implanted 2/03; generator replaced 2/2005 and 2/2012
    Myectomy 8/11/06 - Joe Dearani - Mayo Clinic.

Comment

Maybe I jumped the gun. I got excited and grabbed a 1/2 decaf latte at Starbucks. There's still about 1/3 of it left, which I will now feed to my potted plant. I'm not fibbing.
      David S

Comment

Who knows, but I know I am going to continue to feel good about the one cup per day that I have never given up... ever! AND so help me... I never will give it up.. somebody will have to come here and pry it from my hands every morning! I did have about a year of problems with paroxysmal a-fib... we got on it fairly quickly and shut the lid ( with Sotalol) so to speak. Only minor breakthroughs here and there which continues to make me a very happy camper and continued 1 cup a day coffee drinker!
        [email protected] Tufts, Boston:10/5/03; age 50. ( [email protected] 240 mmHg ++)
        Mother of 3, grandma of 3:Tim,27,Sarah,33w/6 y/o old Sophia, 5 y/o Jack, Laura 34, w/ 5 y/o old Benjamin

Comment

No thanks, coffee is bad news for me. I doubt the study considers those already at higher risk due to scarring or other HCM issues.

Comment

What an exciting article.

And as a coffee roaster I was thrilled! But it will need to be for others to drink. I taste and drink decaf, but that's about it.

Leon
            God Squad co-moderator
            Nothing is as gentle as strength and nothing is as strong as gentleness

Comment

Well, maybe I will never have to be hospitalized for rhythm disturbance as I am totally addicted!!! Thanks for the article.
              Diagnosed at 23
              ICD 7-2009
              Myectomy at Mayo 11-2009

Comment

"Coffee - is there anything it can't do?" OK, it's correlation and not causation, but still...
                Myectomy and mitral valve repair, April 2007, St. Luke's Hospital (NYC)

Comment

As a worshipper of coffee, I'm delighted to see things like this. But just for the record . . . I don't think there's much doubt that it's best to be moderate here. We seem to vary in our sensitivity to caffeine (and in our rhythm problems) and some people need to abstain entirely. I don't, but it's very rare that I have more than two cups a day.

When I first saw my cardiologist we talked about coffee, and he told me it was OK. I told him about an old friend who (years ago) went to the ER in an ambulance after 14 shots of espresso. My cardiologist laughed and said that that might indeed be a bad idea.

Gordon
                  Myectomy on Feb. 5, 2007.

Comment

I am not a coffee drinker. Believe it or not I despise the taste of it. However, if I drink a Mt. Dew my heart rate surges and sometimes I get dizzy. I usually drink caffine free coke or pepsi. I won't do diet either because it taste horrendous to me esp. the aftertaste.

I'm just curious if they are meaning the caffine itself is ok or is there something in the coffee that balances it out?

Mary

Comment

I am not sure, but I know that caffeine is a stimulant, and stimulants are bad for people with HCM so I would not draw any analogies. I also personally can feel a huge difference when I ingest caffeine, so I really keep my intake down to almost nothing.
                      Daughter of Father with HCM
                      Diagnosed with HCM 1999.
                      Full term pregnancy - Son born 11/01
                      ICD implanted 2/03; generator replaced 2/2005 and 2/2012
                      Myectomy 8/11/06 - Joe Dearani - Mayo Clinic.

Comment

My beloved grandmother would have called all you coffee lovers "coffee hags!" ('course she was one as well). Mary, I too, do not care for the taste of coffee, but give me my caffeine-free diet coke or my decaf hot tea with cream and sugar, thank-you. Cyn, I'm with you; I'm pretty sensitive to caffeine as well, and won't become a Star Bucks fan now. David, I once had a client that gave her African Violet the last couple swallows of her coffee each morning; it was the most beautiful African Violet you ever did see!
                        Theresa
                        Philippians 4:4-9; Wife, & 39 yo Mom to 9 year old son and 6 year old son/daughter twins; Diagnosed with HoCM 1999; Cleveland Clinic Myectomy and ICD, January 2006.

Comment

You know what is funny though ..I have been in a-fib many times and none of it centered around caffeine ingestion so I continue to be optimistic about this... and hopeful. I love my one cup.

Comment

Call me cynical, but I think the study was funded by either Starbucks or The National Coffee Association and they paid Kaiser Permanente lots of money, especially to present it to the American Heart Association.

Everyone knows coffee/caffeine raises a person's heart rate, that is not good for many people with heart conditions and heart rhythm disorders.
                            49 yrs. old
                            Diagnosed at 31.
                            Cardiac Arrest 2003, RF Ablation in AZ, no positive result -
                            First ICD 2003 - In 2006 lead went bad, abandoned lead, threaded new one & new generator
                            Myectomy 5-5-05 at The Cleveland Clinic - Dr. Lever & Dr. Smedira -heart surgeon.
                            Currently have Grade 2 Diastolic Dysfunction with pulmonary hypertension & pulmonary edema.
                            My brother passed away suddenly at 34 yrs old from HCM.
                            2 teenage children, ages 17 and 15.

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
                            X