If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Prayers for my dad, please.

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

Reenie Find out more about Reenie
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Prayers for my dad, please.

Reenie,
    First, I'm so sorry about the loss of your mom. I must have missed any posts about that when I was out of it with my myectomy and stuff earlier in the year. I will pray for your dad's strength and healing. He's wise to ask to stay longer. Please keep us posted.
    Theresa
    Philippians 4:4-9; Wife, & 39 yo Mom to 9 year old son and 6 year old son/daughter twins; Diagnosed with HoCM 1999; Cleveland Clinic Myectomy and ICD, January 2006.

Comment

Well, he's staying at least one more day. Early this morning when he got up to go to the bathroom his O2 dropped to 90% again. He's also got a sharp pain under his ribs in the middle where the diaphragm pulls when he's exerting himself. I'm hoping this is just pulled muscles from coughing and working so hard to breathe. Thank you all for the continued prayers.

Reenie
      Reenie

Husband has HCM.
      3 kids - ages 23, 21, & 19. All presently clear of HCM.

Comment

Reenie,

I am so sorry your dad is having such tough medical issues and my heart is with you too as you go through this . I hope and pray things turn round positively for him.

Dr Maron and I were talking on Friday about "Broken heart syndrome" and the impact emotional stress has on the entire cardiovascular/ respiratory / circulatory system. It is very true that losing a mate has tremendous effect on ones health.

Big hugs...Pam
        Dx @ 47 with HOCM & HF:11/00
        Guidant ICD:Mar.01, Recalled/replaced:6/05 w/ Medtronic device
        Lead failure,replaced 12/06.
        SF lead recall:07,extracted leads and new device 2012
        [email protected] Tufts, Boston:10/5/03; age 50. ( [email protected] 240 mmHg ++)
        Paroxysmal A-Fib: 06-07,2010 controlled w/sotalol dosing
        Genetic mutation 4/09, mother(d), brother, son, gene+
        Mother of 3, grandma of 3:Tim,27,Sarah,33w/6 y/o old Sophia, 5 y/o Jack, Laura 34, w/ 5 y/o old Benjamin

Comment

I too want to add my prayers for your father.......

God Bless,
          LindaC

Comment

Dear Reenie,
            About your dad – If he is having trouble breathing why not get his doctor to write a prescription for oxygen. My cardiologist wrote one for me when I was just starting to have trouble, and I only used it as needed.

My insurance would not cover it until my blood oxygen level dropped to 88 or below, so I paid for it out-of-pocket. A large tank, the kind you see in the two wheel carrier, (supplied free,) only cost $15, and if you only use it as you need it, it can last a long time.

I went to the pulmonologist Friday, and they checked my O2 level when I first walked in.
            On four liters of O2 my level was down to 82, but after ten to fifteen minutes it returned to 89 – 90. The doctor told me to use 5 liters whenever I wasn’t just sitting still.

Anyway, I’ll bet he will get a good boost from the O2, at least until he’s back to himself again. When I started I was using two liters and I must say it helped a lot. Good luck to both of you, and give dad my best.
            Burt

Comment

Thank you, Burt. I know he's been using oxygen at the hospital but they haven't mentioned yet whether or not they'll give him some for home too. I'm a little anxious about all of this because I'm not there and can't ask too many questions myself. I'll mention this to my sister, the home oxygen. If he's better and stronger they may release him tomorrow afternoon. We'll see.

Reenie
              Reenie

Husband has HCM.

Comment

Reenie,

I can echo what Burt said. Before I was diagnosed with HOCM I was tested for many many things to try to find the reason for my chronic exhaustion. A sleep study showed that my O2 Saturation dropped to 88% and below during REM sleep. Shortly after that I started using an O2 concentrator at home at 2L/Min, to use only when I sleep. It did make a world of difference at the time- I didn't wake up in the morning nearly as exhausted as I had previously been doing.

In May 2003 I had a severe case of pneumonia(I was coughing up blood before I went to the Urgent care) and could barely get my breath. I did not go to the hospital, and returned home, but the oxygen was soo nice to have available. From personal experience I know that as his lungs continue to heal they are still very irritated and may need that extra support through the oxygen. The extreme weakness was overwhelming to me- and does not go away overnight. It took me over 3 weeks to get back my "normal" strength, and I used my oxygen frequently during that time. I know of others that have felt the effects of that weakness for far longer, and then your strength begins to return.

If your father still needs the oxygen, they will coordinate for an O2 supplier company to bring a concentrator to his home although he may leave the hospital with a tank.

Strangely enough- the Urgent care doctor told me that the x-ray showed that my heart was enlarged. When I told this to my primary care doc, he dismissed it, saying " those portable machines don't always give the most accurate pictures". If he had taken the X-ray seriously maybe I would have had my HOCM diagnosis 2 years earlier. Go figure!

I will add my prayers to all the others for his strength and a smooth recovery. Take care.

Judy
                Dx Dec 2005 - HOCM with gradient of 80at rest, provokable to 150. Alcohol Ablation on Dec 22, 2005.
                Echos in April 2007 shows 0 gradient at rest, but gradient of 100 on provocation

Comment

Reenie,

I have been offline for awhile, but I will be praying for your dad and for all your family. I am concerned about his continuing to have low oxygen, but even more concerned about the pain. I know it is a long shot, but sharp pain coupled with shortness of breath and low oxygen could indicate a blood clot, as I know from experience. If the pain persists, insist that they check for this.

Rhoda

Comment

Thank you, Rhoda. They did do a CT scan to look for a pulmonary embolism and didn't find one. They think the pain is from pre-existing GI problems coupled with the steroids. I think they're going to run more tests. I'll take all the prayers I can get.

Reenie
                    Reenie

Husband has HCM.

Comment

Hi Rhoda,
                      I’ve missed you. I know you’ve been ‘on the road’ but I’ve thought of you often. Please post a newsy letter about how you made out while traveling and how you are today. I’ll be looking forward to it.

By the way, anything new about China for you or for your husband? I’ve always thought you two were exceptional people who were doing much to bring our two countries together. If you are not returning to China, will you two be teaching in the states?

Anyway, as I said before, I’ve missed you.
                      Burt

Comment

Reenie

I hope your dad is doing better today, Please keep us updated

Shirley
                        Diagnosed 2003
                        Myectomy 2-23-2004
                        Husband: Ken
                        Son: John diagnosed 2004
                        Daughter: Janet (free of HCM)

Grandchildren: Drew 15,Aaron 13,Karen 9,Connor 9

Comment

Thank you, Shirley. He's doing better but he's still extremely weak and sleeping a lot. My sister says he's pretty out of it when she talks to him. I don't know if he's been taking too much Ambien or what, but he needs to start waking up some now. I'm still worried.

Reenie
                          Reenie

Husband has HCM.

Comment

Reenie,

(I'm just now catching up on posts and reading this thread first.)

Tim and I send our prayers and support to you, your Dad and your whole family.

We are here for you as God takes you on another 'adventure' and send our love to accompany you.

L
                            Lynn Stewart
                            HOCM 4/2002
                            Cleveland Myectomy Crew 8/2002

Comment

Reenie, I too have been out of touch off and on but wanted to let you know I'm thinking about you and your family. I hope your dad continues to improve and gain strength. ((Big hugs)).

Pam
                              It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.

Dx in Feb/99. Obstructed. No ICD, no surgeries, no family history. 2 sons ages 14 and 6.

Comment

Working...
                              X