If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Prayers for my dad, please.

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

Reenie Find out more about Reenie
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prayers for my dad, please.

Ever since my mom died in February my dad has had problems with his lungs. I don't know if it's asthma or something else. He had prayed the whole time Mama was sick that he'd stay well long enough to take care of her, and he did. Well, he'd get better then get sick again for the last 8 months or so. This past week he'd had another chest cold and by Saturday morning he called my sister to take him to the doctor. They admitted him and have been giving him IV antibiotics, steroids, breathing treatments, and I don't know what else. I know he'll stay in the hospital for a couple of days at least. Today his O2 went down to 90%, which is lower than when they admitted him. Please pray that he can kick this and get strong fast. Thanks.

Reenie
    Reenie

Husband has HCM.
    3 kids - ages 23, 21, & 19. All presently clear of HCM.

Re: Prayers for my dad, please.

Reenie

your dad is in my prayers, Please keep us updated

Shirley
    Diagnosed 2003
    Myectomy 2-23-2004
    Husband: Ken
    Son: John diagnosed 2004
    Daughter: Janet (free of HCM)

Grandchildren: Drew 15,Aaron 13,Karen 9,Connor 9

Comment

Reenie - I hope that your dad will get well soon. You never know. My dad is here visiting me for the first time in 7 years because he hasn't been well enough, but he has surprised us all.
      Daughter of Father with HCM
      Diagnosed with HCM 1999.
      Full term pregnancy - Son born 11/01
      ICD implanted 2/03; generator replaced 2/2005 and 2/2012
      Myectomy 8/11/06 - Joe Dearani - Mayo Clinic.

Comment

Reenie.

I am sorry to hear your dad is sick. We will keep him in our prayers.

Perace,

Leon
        God Squad co-moderator
        Nothing is as gentle as strength and nothing is as strong as gentleness

Comment

Hi Reenie,
          I was sorry to hear about your dad. To tell the truth, I don’t know what I would do if I lost my wife, but I do know in general it is very trying times. If you can, try to get him involved with something so he doesn’t dwell on his loss.

As far as breathing goes, I went to the pulmonologist last Friday and just walking slowly in from the car my blood oxygen level dropped to 82 – on four liters of O2. After about five minutes it rose to 90 and the pulmonologist told me when I walk or move around to increase the O2 to five liters per hour. I’m on a couple of breathing drugs plus he ordered a nebulizer which I am to use two to four times a day.

I expect your dad’s treatment will be temporary, while I am still in CHF even after the dialysis treatments have taken off over twenty pounds of fluid so far, and it’s a real hassle walking around the house on the end of a long hose – not to mention carrying bottled O2 when I go out.

I truly hope your dad recovers quickly, and gets interested in a hobby or something to take him out of himself. Best wishes to you both.
          Burt

Comment

I sent my prayer up to the big guy for you. Although I prayed in his will so its up to God to decide what he wants to do.

Comment

Reenie, I will be praying for your father. Linda

Comment

Reenie,
                Best wishes to your dad he is in my prayers and so are you!

Take care,
                Lisa
                Knowledge is power ... Stay informed!
                YOU can make a difference - all you have to do is try!

Dx age 12 current age 46 and counting!
                lost: 5 family members to HCM (SCD, Stroke, CHF)
                Others diagnosed living with HCM (or gene +) include - daughter, niece, nephew, cousin, sister and many many friends!
                Therapy - ICD (implanted 97, 01, 04 and 11, medication
                Currently not obstructed
                Complications - unnecessary pacemaker and stroke (unrelated to each other)

Comment

Thank you all for your prayers. God's will will be done in any case. Burt, his one passtime since Mom passed away is playing pool, but the pool halls are full of smoke so he knows he has to give that up. He quit smoking about 10 years ago, thank goodness. They docs said they thought the airway that's normally about 3/4 inch wide was down to 1/4 inch. Poor guy! I do hope this is temporary and his years of smoking aren't catching up with him. He's getting stronger, but not nearly strong enough to go home yet. He'll stay in the hospital at least another day or two. Continued prayers are welcomed. Thank you all again!

Reenie
                  Reenie

Husband has HCM.

Comment

Hi Reenie,
                    I am praying for your Dad, along with everyone else. How are you holding up? I know it is a stressful time when a parent gets sick, especially after you have already lost your mama this year. You are in my prayers also.
                    Alison, NZ

Comment

I'm doing all right but it's hard on me to not be there to check on him myself. He lives 1000 miles from me. Luckily I can talk to him and other family members to check on him several times a day. Thanks for asking about me.

Reenie
                      Reenie

Husband has HCM.

Comment

Reenie, I am sorry to hear your dad is having problems. I hope that with this treatment he can get on the road to recovery before winter sets in. I will keep you both in my prayers.
                        Midge

Diagnosed in 1977, Myectomy in 1981 @ Mayo Rochester
                        ICD&Pacemaker 1996
                        Heart transplant March 19, 2004 @ Mayo Rochester
                        Mom of Kaye.

Comment

Reenie,

Sorry to here your Dad is not felling well. Our family prays go to you and your Dad. I hope he gets the best medical care.
                          Joe Del

Diagnosed @ age 45 with HCM June 2004; ICD Implant: September 2004. Fifteen years prior was tested and told had an anxiety attack. Second ICD implanted May 5, 2009 with adding second lead.

My biggest part is the depression and now on disability.

Tested positive for HCM gene and all three children are negative.

Husband and father of three children: Son 18 and two daughters 13 and 7.

Comment

Reenie, I am just now seeing this ... please know that I am praying for your Dad to feel better soon! I'm sure it is difficult to be so far away ... praying for your peace of mind as well Hang in there and continue to update, okay?
                            Amy
                            Happy wife and mother of four
                            Diagnosed wit HOCM in September 2005
                            Myectomy at Mayo Clinic November 7, 2005
                            Pacemaker August 24, 2011

Comment

He's getting better, thank goodness, but he's still extremely weak. He said if the doctor tries to send him home tomorrow he's telling him that he isn't ready to go. He hates the hospital, but at least he can get care if he needs it and right now he's too weak to take a shower then brush his teeth without a rest in between.

Reenie
                              Reenie

Husband has HCM.

Comment

Working...
                              X