If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thank you

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

Donna Find out more about Donna
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thank you

Hi all, I am so thankful to be here to talk to you. God was looking out for me this week. I live in Alaska and we have had some strange weather this winter. A lot of freezing rain. I was on my way to work on Dec.23 and the roads were a mess. I lost control of my car and hit a light pole. It hit in the middle of my drivers door. I had to be cut out of the car and strapped to a back board and went to the hospital in an ambulance.

It was very scary and I was so afraid that my family would go by in the other car and see me and get worried. They were on the way to do the last of there shopping. I was not hurt to bad. my leg is bruised from foot to hip and very soar. As for the rest of me I have some soar spots and miner cuts and bruises.

I am thankful that I did not have anyone else in the car, and that I did not hit another car. I am also thankful that I was not hurt worse. I did total my car and I have no idea what the light pole will cost. But that can all be taken care of in time.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all.
    Donna B. HCM & ICD. 2 sons with HCM. Brother passed away from HCM at the age of 39. Mother has HCM.

Donna, I'm so glad you're ok. Wrecks are scary enough without having to worry about holiday stuff too. You take it easy for a few days.

Reenie

PS: My brother in law wrecked on Christmas Eve. Someone turned across his lane in front of him. He's fine but we're thinking they will total his truck too.
    Reenie

Husband has HCM.
    3 kids - ages 23, 21, & 19. All presently clear of HCM.

Comment

Hi Donna

You certainly have a guardian angel looking after you. What an experience!

Take care of your scrapes and bruses. I'm sure you will be feeling better in a few days.
      Esther

Comment

Glad you are OK!
        Be careful out there!

Lisa
        Knowledge is power ... Stay informed!
        YOU can make a difference - all you have to do is try!

Dx age 12 current age 46 and counting!
        lost: 5 family members to HCM (SCD, Stroke, CHF)
        Others diagnosed living with HCM (or gene +) include - daughter, niece, nephew, cousin, sister and many many friends!
        Therapy - ICD (implanted 97, 01, 04 and 11, medication
        Currently not obstructed
        Complications - unnecessary pacemaker and stroke (unrelated to each other)

Comment

Donna

Thank goodness you are ok and can still enjoy the holiday's

Shirley
          Diagnosed 2003
          Myectomy 2-23-2004
          Husband: Ken
          Son: John diagnosed 2004
          Daughter: Janet (free of HCM)

Grandchildren: Drew 15,Aaron 13,Karen 9,Connor 9

Comment

Donna,

I'm so glad to hear that you were not hurt any worse than you were... or for that matter, that the accident didn't cause that HCM heart of yours to go a bit whacky on you! I do believe someone was looking out for you that day, and so glad that you're still here to tell us about it.

I'm still hoping to get myself up to your neck of the woods sometime soon! I've always wanted to see Alaska, even after hearing stories from my fellow archaeologists (somewhat exaggerated i'm sure), who have worked there and talk about mosquitoes the size of Volkswagons. LoL.

Please take care, and Happy Holidays to you!

Jim
            "Some days you're the dog... some days you're the hydrant."

Comment

Thanks to all that sent there good wishes. I am doing better. I have another week off work. The Doc. has me being a couch potato and watching for blood clots. My work said next time I wonted a few days off just ask.

Jim, the mosquitoes are very big. You could almost make a pet out of them. I do hope you make it up here sometime soon. I also was happy my ICD did not go off at the time of the accident. I did have some extra help on my side.

Reenie, I am glad that you brother-in-law will be fine. This is not the way to go about getting a new car. But I am going out to look at new cars this next week. Next time I will just let my husband know that it is time to trade it in.

Happy New Year to all. Thanks for listening and being my friends.
              Donna B. HCM & ICD. 2 sons with HCM. Brother passed away from HCM at the age of 39. Mother has HCM.

Comment

Hi Donna,
                I’d like to tell you a true New Years story that I saw first hand. My wife and I had gone to a party at a friend’s house, with about five other couples. We were all around sixty, so all our drinking was with soft drinks. At midnight however our host opened a split (half bottle) of Champaign to christen the New Year, and we each had one very small glass, leaving about half the half bottle unused.

About twelve thirty we were all leaving to go home when one of the women had an accident. This was in Southern California, but it was cold enough to have freezing rain cover everything with a sheet of ice and the woman slipped on a step, fell, and broke her leg. We took her to a nearby hospital and the troupe of us accompanied her into the ER exam room. A rather brusque female doctor came in and asked the woman if she had been drinking. She told the doc about the one small glass of Champaign, thinking she had to know to select the right pain killer. Well, the doc wrote “Drunk” across the admittance form and disappeared for an hour and a half.

One of the men in our group finally snapped and went hunting the doctor, demanding that our friend be treated, as we were all waiting over an hour and a half in the exam room. Her remark to him was, “I have enough to do without taking care of drunks.” Well, she said it to the wrong guy. He revealed a tape recorder and gave her his card, (He was a lawyer.) He told the Doc that the woman had a total of three ounces of Champaign at midnight and was not drunk. He demanded a blood alcohol be run on the woman because he was not only going to sue the hospital for neglect, he was going to sue the doctor also for willful neglect and see that she lost her license to practice medicine.

Our friend suddenly got immediate attention, the admitting form was suddenly replaced with another one on which the word ‘drunk’ was replaced by ‘slipped on ice.’ And she was released in a cast a very short time after. The doctor’s high horse was replaced by a meek and attentive behavior. You see the law firm this man was a partner in was very prestigious and known to the hospital from previous encounters. By the way, the woman never got an apology, but then she never received a bill from the hospital either.

I guess this is all leading up to saying heal quickly and well, enjoy your new car, and have a safe and sane New Year celebration – at home if possible.
                Burt

Comment

I'm laughing about the mosquitos in Alaska. When my kids were little we flew through Alaska to the States and we had to spend a night near Anchorage. My daughter was 3 1/2 at the time and she still remembers the mosquito who bit her on the forehead, some ten years ago!

Reenie
                  Reenie

Husband has HCM.
                  3 kids - ages 23, 21, & 19. All presently clear of HCM.

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
                  X