If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Let her rest in peace

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

bpguy2000
bpguy2000
Contributor-in-Training
Find out more about bpguy2000
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Let her rest in peace

I'm newly registered to the board, but have been reading it for a while. I lost my father when I was 2 years old (i'm 23 now) to HCM, and lost my 17 year old sister 5 short years ago. It was only then that I was tested and diagnosed with HCM as well. Getting checked out is just a matter of getting a few simple tests done by a cardiologist. You should also make sure your sister gets tested as well (if she hasn't already.)

Just wanted to say that i'm truly sorry for the loss of your mother, and very glad that you have the presence of mind to get yourself checked out, and to come here to talk to other people about your situation. As for eating and sleeping, they'll both be tough for a while. Then one day you'll realize how hungry you are, and how good a nap after lunch sounds. I can't say that it gets easier, or that you'll get over it.....but you will learn to adapt and keep on truckin'. Talking to the people on this board will help with that. I wish I had found it 5 years ago. Good luck Cullen, and keep us informed.

Comment

cally-
      Thank you for your posting. I can see you have been through a great deal and my heart goes out to your for all you have lost.
      Take care of yourself and I hope to hear more from you here on the board.
      Lisa
      Knowledge is power ... Stay informed!
      YOU can make a difference - all you have to do is try!

Dx age 12 current age 46 and counting!
      lost: 5 family members to HCM (SCD, Stroke, CHF)
      Others diagnosed living with HCM (or gene +) include - daughter, niece, nephew, cousin, sister and many many friends!
      Therapy - ICD (implanted 97, 01, 04 and 11, medication
      Currently not obstructed
      Complications - unnecessary pacemaker and stroke (unrelated to each other)

Comment

Dear Cally,

Glad to hear from you here. You are right about HCMA members. I have rarely found so many people who are interested in each other and look for ways to be supportive. Welcome aboard.

Peace,

Leon
        God Squad co-moderator
        Nothing is as gentle as strength and nothing is as strong as gentleness

Comment

Cally,
          Welcome to the board and thank you for sharing your story. There are many in need of support and validation as they have similar yet different and unique stories as well. We can all feel helped here and find comfort in knowing we don't walk alone. It is very tough indeed to lose our friends and loved ones to this disease. I am sorry for your losses.
          I look forward to hearing more from you.
          Pam
          Dx @ 47 with HOCM & HF:11/00
          Guidant ICD:Mar.01, Recalled/replaced:6/05 w/ Medtronic device
          Lead failure,replaced 12/06.
          SF lead recall:07,extracted leads and new device 2012
          [email protected] Tufts, Boston:10/5/03; age 50. ( [email protected] 240 mmHg ++)
          Paroxysmal A-Fib: 06-07,2010 controlled w/sotalol dosing
          Genetic mutation 4/09, mother(d), brother, son, gene+
          Mother of 3, grandma of 3:Tim,27,Sarah,33w/6 y/o old Sophia, 5 y/o Jack, Laura 34, w/ 5 y/o old Benjamin

Comment

Cally

Welcome to the board, as Lisa says the board you never wanted to join

We are all here for each other, I know how you feel losing family to this disease as i have lost several also, if there is anything you need to know post it someone will come back to you

Shirley
            Diagnosed 2003
            Myectomy 2-23-2004
            Husband: Ken
            Son: John diagnosed 2004
            Daughter: Janet (free of HCM)

Grandchildren: Drew 15,Aaron 13,Karen 9,Connor 9

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
            X