If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

God Bless Sarah Friend

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

Lisa Salberg Find out more about Lisa Salberg
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• God Bless Sarah Friend

July 14, 2004 - I thought this was already posted - but it appears I did not. God Bless Sarah.
    Lisa

Heart problem caused girl's death, officials say

A 12-year-old girl who collapsed at NRH20 water park Wednesday
    and died a short time later suffered from a heart condition,
    officials said.

Sarah Friend, 12, of North Richland Hills collapsed as she
    climbed the steps of The Green Extreme water coaster at the water
    park. She was taken to North Hills Hospital, where she died of
    hypertrophic cardiomyopathy, a condition that causes that heart
    wall to become thick and disrupt the blood flow, relatives said
    Thursday.

"We had no idea," said her mother, Laura Friend. "She had her
    physicals every year. She was a healthy, strong-spirited girl."

Sarah had just completed her last day of junior lifeguard
    training at the water park Wednesday and was playing with a friend,
    said her father, Luther Friend.

On Thursday, the family was still recovering from the shock of
    Sarah's death.

Laura Friend spent all of her time with her daughter, who loved
    to stay at home. They took walks, talked about books and baked
    brownies together.

"We fought about who would lick the bowl," she said.

Sarah loved the water. Her mother and she were planning a pool
    party for her birthday, Aug. 10. She played the clarinet in band
    and was planning to join the choir in her last year at Smithfield
    Middle School.

Albertsons, the company where Luther Friend is employed, will
    hold a two-minute moment of silence at 9 a.m. Saturday in its
    Metroplex stores.

"I'm nothing without her. She was everything to me," Laura
    Friend said. "She was so beautiful, so special, the perfect child."

-- Leila Fadel
    Knowledge is power ... Stay informed!
    YOU can make a difference - all you have to do is try!

Dx age 12 current age 46 and counting!
    lost: 5 family members to HCM (SCD, Stroke, CHF)
    Others diagnosed living with HCM (or gene +) include - daughter, niece, nephew, cousin, sister and many many friends!
    Therapy - ICD (implanted 97, 01, 04 and 11, medication
    Currently not obstructed
    Complications - unnecessary pacemaker and stroke (unrelated to each other)

Re: God Bless Sarah Friend

Prayers to Sarah's family.

Reenie
    Reenie

Husband has HCM.
    3 kids - ages 23, 21, & 19. All presently clear of HCM.

Comment

This case was brought to my attention today because a reporter called the HCMA. It appears that the water park had 2 AED's yet nobody used them. Sarah fell at about 10:49am and off duty nurse was near by and noted there was no pulse - on site EMT RESPONDED - WITHOUT the AED - then called for the AED - did not use it. The ambulance arrived at 10:58- started an IV - applied a C-Collar and then at 11:06 gave the first AED shock.

Every minute that passes between cardiac arrest and defibrillation decreases the chance success- - by approximately 10% per minute. After 10 minutes there is not much chance of life.

This is one of the most tragic stories I have heard in a while. No death is easy to take - but to see that a chance of life was so close - well it is out right tragic and avoidable. Sarah had a good chance of survival but it was lost. I would like SOMEONE to find out WHY the AED's were not used in accordance with standard EMS procedures.

Sarah - Please know you will not be forgotten and you will forever be a part of the HCMA - even though we never were given the honor of knowing you. May you rest in peace.

Peace to you all,
      Lisa

Others diagnosed living with HCM (or gene +) include - daughter, niece, nephew, cousin, sister and many many friends!
      Currently not obstructed

Comment

This is one of the things I worry about most. Getting the AEDs into schools and sporting facilities is one thing, but getting them used is something else again. When someone collapses your first thought is not to shock them. Someone has to be trained and actually be there to feel for a pulse immediately, and know when and how to use the AED.

The on-site EMT responded to a collapsed person – without the AED, then called for it, but did not use it, while Sarah’s chances for life ticked away.

Nine minutes after she collapsed the ambulance arrived. Nine tenths of her chances for life had already ticked away, but the first thing they did was to start a transfusion. Was there any invisible blood around?

They then applied a C-collar, and while they fumbled around the last chance of life ticked away for this lovely person.

It wasn’t until 170% of her chance for life had ticked away that they first tried the AED. I could understand laymen making these types of mistakes, but these are supposedly well trained technicians in the field of saving lives. Everything was there – except the ability to save her. It’s enough to make you weep.

OK, she’s lost. What can we do to minimize the risk of this happening again? Do we need two techs for each AED, so that if one messes up the other can jump in? After the ambulance arrived at the scene an additional eight minutes ticked by before somebody actually used the AED. Seems to me there was a crowd of concerned, but confused technicians around.

I wonder what the batting average is for an AED. What percentage of the people who collapse in public are actually saved by this devise? Of course each person saved is one more wonderful success story, but I think our best hope is finding out who is at risk and getting defibrillators installed in them. Get tested folks, and if appropriate, get yourself protected – and the same applies to members of your family.

Just maybe Sarah will yet save somebody else’s life.
        Burt

Comment

This is a very unfortunate event as an EMT it does break my heart. A lot of things broke down even at the most basic levels. This is on the verge of neglect. The first rule in EMS is BLS before ALS. All of the meds in the world are not going to work if the heart is not beating or there is no airway.

As a side note I do wish that EMTs had more training. Most people do not know that EMTs only get one semester of training in school. To me that is not enough for many of the things we are required to do. With so little time we don't get to see a whole lot. I would almost bet money that the first EMT who was on property had never even had to use an AED in real life. When it is your first event no matter how many times you practice it it is still nothing like real life. But, by no means am I excusing what happened here.

Mary S.

Comment

Hello,
            I am Sarah's mother. She is a beautiful, wonderful daughter. Sarah loved life and was a happy child. She taught me what life was all about. She leaves behind a father, mother and 10 year old sister. It is so senseless. Her father and I have just finished our echos and myoview stress tests. They did not find anything. Her sister will be tested next week at Cook Children's in Fort Worth. Is it possible that the test will be negative but she could still have HCM? The waterpark will not talk to us about Sarah's accident. I asked for an accident report and they did not have one. The only peace that I have is the bystander that told me she held Sarah's hand and she felt that she was in the presence of an angel. Sarah never regained consciousness. I arrived at the waterpart within 3 mins. They kept me away from her. I will never forget it. I thank God for choosing me to be her mother. I just wish that I saved her. Laura Friend

Comment

Bless you

I know Sarah is looking down at you right now, I could not imagine loosing one of my children even though my son also has the disease, I f you would like to talk to another parent please feel free to Pm me and i would be happy to talk, as far as an accident report if they don't have one then they will be required to have one for the insurance company, i know that is the way our insurance company works where i work, you may need to call their insurance company

Shirley
              Diagnosed 2003
              Myectomy 2-23-2004
              Husband: Ken
              Son: John diagnosed 2004
              Daughter: Janet (free of HCM)

Grandchildren: Drew 15,Aaron 13,Karen 9,Connor 9

Comment

Laura,
                I am glad you have found the HCMA. When you are feeling up to it feel free to give me a call. I have been very moved by Sarahs story and want you to know that I will do any and everything I can to assist you and your community better understand HCM, AED's and I will surely not let this wonderful child be forgotten.
                I have seen her picture - what a beautiful young lady - I know you are a proud mom - You can see it in her face she was a much loved child.

Peace to you and yours,
                Lisa

Currently not obstructed

Comment

Dear Laura,

I am so so sorry to hear of your loss. I just wanted to encourage you to talk to Lisa Salberg, the president of the HCMA, if you already haven't. She will tell you that even if your 10 year old daughter tests clear of HCM now, you still must have her checked ANNUALLY until she reaches adulthood. HCM can manifest at ANY age.

Even if she tests clear through age 20 or so, she should still be checked every 5 years or so throughout the rest of her life. Some people aren't diagnosed until they are in their 70s or 80s.

Because of your daughter's family history, you will want to catch it early if it is determined that she does have HCM. Then she can have an implantable defibrillator installed which will keep her safe and will prevent the same thing from happening to her. What is important is now that you know, you can take action to prevent another senseless tragedy.

I am so sorry that you had to learn the hard way. Life is sometimes so very unfair.
                  Daughter of Father with HCM
                  Diagnosed with HCM 1999.
                  Full term pregnancy - Son born 11/01
                  ICD implanted 2/03; generator replaced 2/2005 and 2/2012
                  Myectomy 8/11/06 - Joe Dearani - Mayo Clinic.

Comment

Dear Laura,

Our hearts ache along with yours for your loss. We will be praying for you.
                    Rhoda

Comment

Laura -

I am terribly saddened by what happened to your beloved daughter. You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers. I ca't imagine how hard of a time you must be going through. I pray that you find strength in and through Sarah to someday be able to help educate others about HCM. God bless you all!!!

SheliRenee
                      Mom of Keanu
                      4 years old (will be in March)
                      Dx at 2 days old with Biventricular hypertrophy
                      Dx at 6 weeks with HOCM
                      Dx at 5 months with V-tach
                      Dx at 3 with Noonan Syndrome

Comment

Dear Laura, Our thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. I pray for strength and courage for you all, and wish you the best as you wait for results for your other daughter's testing. I hope you will be able to talk with Lisa soon. She will be there when you are ready. Linda

Comment

Laura.

I too was so saddened to hear of your daughter's death. May you and your family experience gentle healing and grace from God.
                          Peace,
                          Leon
                          God Squad co-moderator
                          Nothing is as gentle as strength and nothing is as strong as gentleness

Comment

Laura,

You have and your family have my utmost sympathy. You have been through a terrible shock, and I pray that the Lord will take you all in his arms and comfort you.

I have one and only one beautiful child, (17) a daughter. If something happened to her, I don't know how I would face it. My heart goes out to you. I'm so sorry for your tragic loss.

We here on this message board, and the HCMA admin., are here to do whatever we can to help you. We know we can do nothing to ease your pain, but perhaps you will need to talk, have questions, etc. This will be a great haven for you.

God Bless,

Debbie

Comment

Dear Laura
                              First I must say I am crying knowing still another child was taken by HCM.
                              I can feel the pain you are going through. I lost my son to HCM on Dec. 3, 1994. It was one day past my birthday and 12 days from his b-day. He was 15. His passing was suddenly also. Although we had him tested, there was no indication that he had HCM. I do believe this is rare. I have talked to Lisa and she wants records concerning his passing. Did you have an autopsy performed? Was there any sign of HCM?
                              Please know that you and your family are in my prayers to help soften your loss. Remember the good feelings Sarah brought to your heart...her smiles, the little things she did to make you feel warm inside. I know she is one of our Angels, just like my son, Michael. I was once told that when someone passes, another greets them, usually a family member or friend. I feel Michael near me often. I will ask him to help her adust to her new surroundings. If you need to talk, please send me a pm or email me. Lisa is a book of knowledge. I know she will help you understand HCM.
                              May God bless you and your family
                              Esther

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
                              X