If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My sister in law...

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

Reenie Find out more about Reenie
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My sister in law...

She was diagnosed with breast cancer Friday a week ago and this Thursday she had a mastectomy. Chemo will follow pretty soon now. Please pray for strength through all of this. Thanks.

Reenie
    Reenie

Husband has HCM.
    3 kids - ages 23, 21, & 19. All presently clear of HCM.

Re: My sister in law...

Reenie,

I'm so sorry to hear of this new challenge in the life of your family. Prayers are most certainly heading to your sister-in-law and the entire family.

Lynn
    Lynn Stewart
    HOCM 4/2002
    Cleveland Myectomy Crew 8/2002

Comment

Reenie, Reenie, Reenie,
      About the best I can say is that I know quite a few women who have undergone mastectomies and chemo, and radiation therapy too. Of course they have all survived and are doing quite well or I wouldn’t be knowing them now would I? They all lead normal, productive lives, except for the retired ones who regularly beat the pants off me in bridge.

To your sister-in-law I wish the very best, and to the rest of the woman out there for goodness sake examine yourselves frequently. If a problem is caught early there is a simple cure. The longer it goes undetected the more drastic the cure tends to be – and I do like to have a bunch of pretty women around.
      Burt

Comment

Reenie, We will be praying for your sister-in-law. Linda

Comment

Prayers will ascend.
          Leon
          God Squad co-moderator
          Nothing is as gentle as strength and nothing is as strong as gentleness

Comment

Reenie,

Prayers all around for your family. Being from a family of breast cancer survivors (great-aunt, mother and a sister,) I know of the trauma, concern, love, hope and faith that is associated with it. Best wishes for all.
            Dorothy

Diagnosed 1996, Myectomy Aug. 2000, 3 Radio-frequency ablations for a-fibs 2003-2005.

Comment

You have already got the NJ crew sending good wishes your way!

Best wishes,
              Lisa
              Knowledge is power ... Stay informed!
              YOU can make a difference - all you have to do is try!

Dx age 12 current age 46 and counting!
              lost: 5 family members to HCM (SCD, Stroke, CHF)
              Others diagnosed living with HCM (or gene +) include - daughter, niece, nephew, cousin, sister and many many friends!
              Therapy - ICD (implanted 97, 01, 04 and 11, medication
              Currently not obstructed
              Complications - unnecessary pacemaker and stroke (unrelated to each other)

Comment

Reenie, all the best for your sister-in-law.
                Many years ago my wife went through the cancer thing and it does consume your life while they are going thru therapy.
                She has been cancer free for 6 years now, I'm wishing your sister-in-law the same result.
                Every great thing that has ever happened since the beginning of time has started as a single thought in someones mind.
                So if you are capable of thought then you are capable of great things
                Good luck and stay well.
                Glen

Comment

Reenie

Best of luck for your sister in law, Tell her aditude is half the battle and to keep her chin up

Shirley
                  Diagnosed 2003
                  Myectomy 2-23-2004
                  Husband: Ken
                  Son: John diagnosed 2004
                  Daughter: Janet (free of HCM)

Grandchildren: Drew 15,Aaron 13,Karen 9,Connor 9

Comment

Dear Reenie,
                    My prayers are with you and your sister-in-law & the entire family. Definitely a battle many many women have won! My mother has been cancer free for two years after undergoing surgery to remove the lump & radiation treatment. She recently had another lumpectomy & so far it looks & feels like scar tissue, so we are praying for continued freedom for my Mom.

There are many breast cancer support systems available to you, your sister-in-law & the family too. Check out the Susan G. Kolmen Breast Cancer Foundation. They have wonderful people available on-line & a phone call away to help, answer questions & send love to everyone. They helped me understand my mothers condition & her "unwillingness" to let me help. That's a generational thing...sounds like your sister-in-law is open to your help and support. The stronger her support system, the better her attitude will be to win this battle.

Our prayers are always with you!
                    Blessings,
                    Sharon

Comment

Reenie,
                      Many prayers to your sister-in law and family.

Pam
                      It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.

Dx in Feb/99. Obstructed. No ICD, no surgeries, no family history. 2 sons ages 14 and 6.

Comment

Thank you, all of you. We had a rough weekend. Her bp fell through the floor Sat night and she fainted twice. They took her in the ambulance (across the street!) to the hospital and it was 70/40. They gave her an IV and potassium and she felt lots better in an hour. She was tired but better yesterday afternoon. I'll keep you all posted, but please understand if I'm not as attentive as I usually am.

Reenie
                        Reenie

Husband has HCM.
                        3 kids - ages 23, 21, & 19. All presently clear of HCM.

Comment

Reenie, Take care of you and the family now. That's where your attention needs to be. Check in with us occais when you need a break and a bit of support. You've done so much for so many, we'll all be here for you. Linda

Comment

Hey,
                            70/40 – those were my numbers. Please tell her she will just have to use higher numbers.
                            Reenie – First things first. We’ve all had our ‘distractions.’ Whatever you need, we’re here for you. All the best to your brother and sister-in-law – and the entire family.
                            Burt

Comment

Reenie sorry that this is happening to your family. You are all in my thoughts and prayers. Pam
                              Dx @ 47 with HOCM & HF:11/00
                              Guidant ICD:Mar.01, Recalled/replaced:6/05 w/ Medtronic device
                              Lead failure,replaced 12/06.
                              SF lead recall:07,extracted leads and new device 2012
                              [email protected] Tufts, Boston:10/5/03; age 50. ( [email protected] 240 mmHg ++)
                              Paroxysmal A-Fib: 06-07,2010 controlled w/sotalol dosing
                              Genetic mutation 4/09, mother(d), brother, son, gene+
                              Mother of 3, grandma of 3:Tim,27,Sarah,33w/6 y/o old Sophia, 5 y/o Jack, Laura 34, w/ 5 y/o old Benjamin

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
                              X