If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why I went to Mayo - Chaplaincy?

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

Redteamer Find out more about Redteamer
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why I went to Mayo - Chaplaincy?

My visit to Mayo was quite profound, spiritually. The Lord intervened in our lives in a very powerful way. Providentially, we were well prepared to embrace Him and his teachings - our Pastor had given us solid counsel, he had recommended a fantastic book - "The Pursuit of God" by A.W. Tower, and we had the Bible. None of this lessened the power of the very personal encounter we had with our Lord at Mayo as we were humbled and turned inside out, coming to terms with who we were, our own mortality, our standing before a thrice holy God, and his infinite love and mercy as he took us through the trials. We were changed and sanctified by the experience.

In addition to all that though, God showed us that He was powerfully dealing with EVERYONE visiting at Mayo in a powerful way - the families, the patients, the staff. What we experienced was close to an epiphany.

I also realized that many of those folks have no idea that God is reaching out to them in such a powerful way and many seemed truly confused and mystified by their situations. Some may be open to hearing how God may be working in their lives, some not, of course. The role of the Chaplaincy at Mayo is to address that issue, but they are few and far between, and the only one of them I met, very briefly, was not well equipped for the task at hand.

I believe that God showed us our next ministry, so in consultation with my Pastor, I've approached the Chaplaincy at our local hospital and we are looking to volunteer with them. At least locally perhaps, we can help some who are open to embrace and understand the love that God has for them as He brings them through their trials.
    Joel

Born 1955 in USA, DX'd w/HCM 1996, in United Kingdom
    2011, 2013, 2014 ablations for Afib and flutter in UK, INOVA Fairfax, VA, and Johns Hopkins
    June 2014 DX HOCM at Johns Hopkins
    October 2014 Myectomy and Cryomaze at Mayo Clinic

Re: Why I went to Mayo - Chaplaincy?

Earth is a school and every experience a lesson.....some of those lessons we totally miss and some are so profound they change our lives dramatically. Hospital chaplaincy is a challenging job, as it demands an assessment of a patient 's needs and their spiritual framework that reaches far beyond the chaplain's personal need to tell them about God.
    In my career as a hospital nurse for over 30 years I met some glorious chaplains from every religious background that were totally unselfish, flex able and distinctly intuitive about what a patient or family member needed in any situation. Other chaplains I met seemed quite uncomfortable with certain spiritual traditions and situations and were more interested in converting the wayward than meeting the needs of the individual patient and his family.
    I am not religious but I am extremely spiritual and although not a chaplain, as a nurse , I spent many an evening and night shift sitting with a patient or family discussing the meaning of illness, death, God and eternity .... Patients and families were so grateful to have some one who not only understood their physical condition but who was not afraid to talk about " such things" .
    I believe that one of the purposes of illness is to bring us face to face with our own mortality and prompt us to explore, Where we fit in this Universe.
    Best of Luck to you Joel in the next chapter of your journey
    Last edited by JillC; 11-15-2014, 01:00 PM.
    After years of symptoms:
    Officially Diagnosed HOCM 2006
    Myectomy 3/11/13 at non-COE
    Extended Myectomy 7/23/14
    At Mayo with Dr. Joseph Dearani

Comment

Couldn't agree more Jill. And I don't think I can help everybody. I do think I can help some.
      Joel

2011, 2013, 2014 ablations for Afib and flutter in UK, INOVA Fairfax, VA, and Johns Hopkins

Comment

There is no greater Christian writer than A.W.Tozer. Don't think I've missed one. I've underlined Knowledge of the Holy until it is rag-tagged.
        Also like CS Lewis and my mentor was a great teacher Derek Prince whom I met in Jerusalem twice and had dinner with him. Read my articles in Friendlyarts.net under Perspectives on Israel.
        HOCM diagnosed Mayo Clinic Aug. 2010

25 mg of atenolol.

Comment

Thanks Meggy for the tips. I'll checkout the website and will check out the Tozer book. I hope you know that God is in control and that you shouldn't worry about your trip to Mayo. He is sovereign. Prayer will go a long way - will keep you in prayer.
          Joel

Comment

Joel, we too had a similar experience during our entire journey at the Cleveland Clinic. Everyday we saw God reaching out to us. On buses, at hotels, and in CCF. It was humbling. Complete strangers prayed with me not once, not twice, but three times on the day of Justin's surgery. I wore no cross, nor had any outward expression of my spiritual standing, except I was a person in need of God's love. My dear friend, who was with me the day of surgery stated "The Love just never Ends." She was in awe. It was so humbling, we are nearly 6 weeks post surgery and still cannot express in words what happened to us, except I could write a Chicken Soup for the Soul book with the many experiences we witnessed and experienced. Amazing.

It is inspiring to hear not only you had a similar experience, but that it has given you a path to helping others, to offering that same Love too. Thank you for sharing!
            Megan, wife to Husband, Justin with HOCM
            Husband diagnosed at 37 when taken to ER due to CHF on vacation in San Diego at Pomerado Hospital, March 2014
            Seeing Dr. Salcedo in UC Med Hospital Denver upon diagnosis
            AICD/Pacemaker July 2014 @ UC Med Hospital, Denver with Dr. Nguyen
            Myectomy at Cleveland Clinic October 2014 with Dr. Smedira
            Parents to 3 boys, 11, 8, and 6 all currently clear from recent echos

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
            X