If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hug your kids!

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

Lisa Salberg Find out more about Lisa Salberg
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hug your kids!

Hi all,
    This is a strange night and I am stunned as I write this. It is spring break and my niece is off in Florida with her grandma and grandpa. My nephew went north, he went on a ski trip with 4 friends from school (TCNJ). About an hour ago my nephew arrived home (2 days early), looking like ****. His friend was killed today in an accident while skiing in NY State. The poor kid drove 3 hours home alone and is nearly in shock.
    We fear HCM so often on this board...then you get hit from behind and a 21 yr old girl who dreamed of being a high school english teacher falls on a patch of ice and it is over.
    My heart breaks for her family and friends...
    Please keep Kerri and her family in your thoughts and prayers.
    God Bless Kerri.
    Sincerely,
    Lisa

NORTH CREEK, N.Y. -- An expert skier died Tuesday afternoon while leading a group of friends on an Adirondack trail.

Kerri Schottanes, 21, was skiing with four friends at about 12:30 p.m. on the Uncas trail, an expert trail at Gore Mountain, when she fell. Her skis then released from her boots as designed. She slipped off the side of the trail and hit a tree. Her friends summoned a ski patrol, who took her by sled to the base of the mountain.

Schottanes died in an ambulance en route to Glens Falls Hospital.

An eyewitness said the Allendale, N.J., native was skiing too fast. Schottanes learned to ski at the age of 3.

The group of friends were on spring break at the mountain, 75 miles north of Albany.

Copyright © 2003, The Associated Press
    Knowledge is power ... Stay informed!
    YOU can make a difference - all you have to do is try!

Dx age 12 current age 46 and counting!
    lost: 5 family members to HCM (SCD, Stroke, CHF)
    Others diagnosed living with HCM (or gene +) include - daughter, niece, nephew, cousin, sister and many many friends!
    Therapy - ICD (implanted 97, 01, 04 and 11, medication
    Currently not obstructed
    Complications - unnecessary pacemaker and stroke (unrelated to each other)

Oh, Lisa. I'm so sorry. Words can't express how I feel right now. Please let your nephew know that we'll be praying for him and also Kerri's family.

Reenie
    Reenie

Husband has HCM.
    3 kids - ages 23, 21, & 19. All presently clear of HCM.

Comment

Lisa, I am so sorry. Please let John know we will be praying for him and Kerri's family and friends. Linda

Comment

Dear Lisa,
        My prayers are with Kerri, her family and friends. God bless everyone that is saddened by her loss. Special prayers for John and you! Let him know how much we all love him and hold him close for us, too.

Love and Light,
        Sharon

Comment

sympathy

L

My heart goes out to John and all of Kerri's friends and family.

my deepest sympathies,

S

Comment

Yesterday was the memorial service for Kerri... The family shared a paper she wrote for school on January 21, 2003 - less then 2 months ago. I wanted to share it with you..in part to share the life of this special young lady with as many as possible.

"I'm a work in progress. Even at 21 years of piecing myself together, I haven't finished the puzzle yet. I am at times painfully shy and quite, at other times comfortable and outgoing. I'll dart quickly down the ski slopes, but be cautious the whole time. At night I can fall asleep in 20 seconds, in the morning I wake up at the slightest noise. I'm a bit of a paradox, I suppose. I guess I could say I'm a collage of the people in my life. My family and friends have all had input into who I am today - something I am very proud of and extremely grateful for.
            I have lived my whole life in a square mile town in Bergan County, NJ. I am the eldest of three girls, the experimental daughter, if you will. My personality is definitely reflective of my family status. Being the oldest child has given me a love for independence and a great need to please my parents. I am in every sense of the word a perfectionist, but I don't look at that negatively. I've always looked at myself as a role model for my younger sisters; I've always felt protective of them.
            I think school is where I shine the most. I've always been the dorky kind of kid that loves to really learn. I get immense satisfaction out of the classes where I have to work hard for a good grade. This attitude is going to follow me to my own classroom when the time comes. I have high expectations of myself, and I will have them of my students also. Even though I've considered myself a role model for the younger Shottaneses' (my family) my whole life, I am a little nervous to have the minds and hearts of other children as a responsibility. I'm excited about teaching, because for some reason it just feels right for me."

By: Kerri Schottanes - The College of New Jersey
            September 28, 1981-March 11, 2003
            May she rest in peace and may her words inspire and teach others.

Others diagnosed living with HCM (or gene +) include - daughter, niece, nephew, cousin, sister and many many friends!
            Currently not obstructed

Comment

A Few Quick Thoughts from Me, in the best way i know how...

You are around,
              But not exactly here.
              We sat beside you just the other day,
              We can still feel you.
              Yet, cannot grab your hand,
              Your smile was just upon us.
              Now only found in our minds,
              You sleep now and your pain has faded.
              But your life shall not be forgotten,
              We all sit around in a circle.
              Thinking of what we have lost,
              But for some odd reason I cannot do the same.
              Rather I recall the many memories,
              The ones which I had the honor to have,
              An open door to your room was always expected,
              As well as an invitation to your heart.
              Both of which we took advantage,
              Very often and so deeply.
              We would always listen and give what we could,
              Even in times of chaos and distress.
              We all were always there,
              We all did everything we could.
              Although things have changed,
              We shall never forget what once was.

We Love You KerrBear

Comment

Thank You

Thank you all, its been a crazy week, but little things like this make it eassier to get through the day...but again i choose to think of life as a gift rather then a granted chain of events. And thank you most of all to the greatest aunt one could ask for.

Comment

John,
                  You know I would do anything for you...I just wish I could make it all better, but I cannot. You have some amazing friends and I am happy that someone like Kerri was a part of your life, hold her in your heart forever..in that special place where she can live on through you.

Your words are clear...Kerri was special, you are going to miss her and you understand the gifts she gave and was given.

With lots of Love and a BIG hug!!
                  Aunt Lisa

Currently not obstructed

Comment

John,

I am so sorry to hear about your friend Kerri. My daughter, who also goes to TCNJ, told me about her. I can't believe you were a part of that groug! My heart breaks for you, your friends, her family and everyone else Kerri touched.

A coworker of mine who lives in Midland Park also told me all about Kerri, the memorial and her paper. I'm sorry for your loss. I can tell she was a special young lady who was certainly going places! Thank you for sharing your tribute with us.

Karen

Comment

Karen,
                      Thank you for sharing your thoughts. It has not been easy for John and his friends but knowing others care does help.
                      Sincerely,
                      Lisa

Currently not obstructed

Comment

Hug Your Kids

John:

Your tribute to Kerri was truly beautiful. Your words and her paper show what a special young lady she was. You and your friends are better for having known her. When you begin teaching make her high goals yours also. Losing someone so close and special is always hard but moreso at your young age. Remember her always and know Mom was there with open arms to meet her.

MIAWY

Love, Gma
                        mom

Comment

Working...
                        X