If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Interesting association...

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

Bomer I am 27 years old. I was diagnosed with HCM-IHSS when I was born, then within a few days, doctors told my parents I "out grew" it. Around the age of 12 or 13 I was diagnosed with exercise induced asthma, yet to this day, hardly any of the "maintenance" inhalers work. At the age of 14 or 15 I was diagnosed with a heart murmur. Which recently showed up again in a physical. The dr both back then and now sent me for an Echo. The first time I was just mortified but the second time, I kind of knew the procedure so I just went with it. Most recently because of the Echo, I have been diagnosed with Mitral Valve Prolapse. I still have many symptoms even though I am on multiple daily medications. I just went to a cardiologist 2 weeks ago and he sent me for another Echo, even though my last one was only 6 months prior. I will be getting the results next week. I never mentioned the diagnosis of HCM as a baby to this cardiologist. In some ways I hope that I get the diagnosis, because then I can be properly treated. Find out more about Bomer
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interesting association...

I haven't been diagnosed with HCM yet... wait, I take that back... I was diagnosed as soon as I was born, but within days "out grew" it... long story... so... I been doing research on HCM recently because I have been having many complications and I figure if I can see what the deal is with this then maybe I can learn to cope better... in my research I have been reading a lot about how there is no cure etc... Now a little background with myself, I am an addict, I attend NA meetings regularly, and honestly, the meetings are also helping me cope with this possible diagnosis on Monday... With addiction, the book says, it is a disease with no known cure but it can however be arrested... which, basically is the same thing with HCM... So, I go into meetings now introduce myself and state that I have multiple diseases to which there is no known cure, but can however be arrested if I choose to do the work... I believe the addiction didn't help the HCM (if I have HCM) and I also believe the possibility of HCM didn't help the addiction... but I take both very serious right now... and I believe its God's plan for me today... whatever God you believe in, or I believe in, just like in NA doesn't matter as long as you believe in a Higher Power...

Re: Interesting association...

Well said Bomer !!
    Onward and Upward !

Diagnosed 4/07 HCM with fixed & dynamic obstruction
    Myectomy with resected cordonae tendonae 4/08 CCF
    ICD 10/08

Comment

Agreed! Well said! And congrats on conquering you addiction!

Beejay

Comment

Thanks... I have learned mostly through NA that a support group is ALWAYS beneficial.. no matter if it's addiction, or heart problem, it can be a scary thing to deal with alone, so you need someone who can relate, share their experience, strength and hope, and know that someone is always there to help you work through the feelings associated with it all...

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
        X