If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

activity tracker

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

shel64 Find out more about shel64
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• activity tracker

Hi, I recently noticed friends wearing fitbits, and I wondered if there was a tracker that could check my heart rate while I swim or walk or do pilates? could you recommend one you wear? I only do gentle swimming and walking in the pool when I get out of breath 3 times a week, and have added pilates twice a week to my routine, I walk my dog in the morning for 30 minutes too,when I get out of breath I stop and rest before starting again, the rest of the day I take more rests now, I used to ignore my condition but have become more aware of it since coming across this site and reading the information here, I suppose a tracker that does my stewps and exercise while I can make sure i'm not pushing myself too much ,as I learn more about this condition I will have an understanding of how much exercise I can do, I have always been on the go and find it hard to sit still but as I want to be there for my kids I am taking my health more seriously,my diet is going to change too gradually, not that i eat a lot of fatty foods but I hadn't realised heavy meals were not for me, I didn't eat little and often but ate 3 times a day and the evening meal would have been a large calorie rich meal,,, reading here on this site I have learned this is not for me,,, probally the reason I always felt extremely tired after my meal and just wanted to sleep,already i feel healthier and not so tired ,
    Thanks for the advice

Honestly I'm not a fan of activity trackers, I don't need a device to tell me how much activity to do. From what I have read chest straps are the most reliable for an accurate HR reading. I use a chest strap and had a VT episode and it was accurate to 1bpm. If you have a smartphone you can sync them up. If you want to help your nutrition get a food scale.

Comment

Hi She,

Activity trackers can be useful for motivation and monitoring progress, even if they are not totally accurate as recently reported. I use the Garmin Vivosmart HR, it has your heart rate readings and says you can swim with it. I swim 3xs per week for 45 mins. I haven't used my Garmin in the pool but intend to try it sometime. It helps to motivate you as you see your progress (or lack of progress) in your activity, ongoing HR readings and sleep. You can set up online competitions with people to help motivate you and your workouts.

I pair it with the MyFitnessPal application in which I can track my food intake and other activity that that the Garmin does not specify. For example I enter my swimming minutes and level of effort and it gets logged to my Garmin activity recordings. I love the feature in MyFitnessPal where you can enter your own recipes to see the amount of calories, fat, etc. your cooking really has.

I also use one of those HR/O2 meters the doctors use to measure my HR when I swim. They are very cheap compared to some of the fitness trackers to track your heart rate. I keep it on the edge of the pool with a towel then stop now and then to check my heart rate. I control my pace so I don't get over 130. Swimming is the best thing I have found that I CAN do comfortably without shortness of breath (again my pace). It's a great workout. I did do water aerobics for awhile and really liked that too. But have changed where I swim now and the aerobics there are not very challenging... So I just swim laps and sometimes do a aerobic workout on my own.

Remember every little bit helps! If you have to pace yourself by doing short sessions in the pool or walking or whatever, it all adds up to help you!!
      Last edited by mmcruz; 07-05-2017, 11:03 AM.
      Mer

Diagnosed 09/2009 @51 yrs old- HCOM
      Myectomy 2/17/2011
      Son & Daughter no findings as of yet (echos)
      No family history determined yet -- 1 sister, 2 brothers & extended family.

Comment

Hi, Hamsquatch! Just read your suggestion and wanted to ask for clarification. The chest strap that you had mentioned, it can be synced with which type of smartphone? Is it an iPhone or an Android phone?

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
        X