If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Combat sports and s-icd

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

Sam1984 Find out more about Sam1984
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Combat sports and s-icd

Hi,

I'm a 31 year old male recently diagnosed with hcm and have just had an emblem s-icd installed (not sure if that's the right term). I was diagnosed when I had an ECG due to my father's diagnosis and don't have any symptoms myself.
    My cardiologist advised that I would still be able to compete in Brazilian jiu-jitsu as long as I kept my hydration levels super high during training. I was a little worried about training with an s-icd but the Boston Scientific rep who performed my evaluation said that he trained himself and thought the device and lead would have no issues with bjj training.

I was just wondering if anyone else out there did any type of martial arts (bjj in particular but would love to hear of any other sport) and what type of protective equipment they wore.

For anyone who doesn't know, bjj is a type of submission wrestling but isn't as high energy as wrestling and doesn't involve too much slamming or hard impact. Jiu jitsu is Japanese for the gentle art.

Thanks!

Sam

Originally posted by Sam1984 View Post
    Hi,

I'm a 31 year old male recently diagnosed with hcm and have just had an emblem s-icd installed (not sure if that's the right term). I was diagnosed when I had an ECG due to my father's diagnosis and don't have any symptoms myself.
    My cardiologist advised that I would still be able to compete in Brazilian jiu-jitsu as long as I kept my hydration levels super high during training. I was a little worried about training with an s-icd but the Boston Scientific rep who performed my evaluation said that he trained himself and thought the device and lead would have no issues with bjj training.

I was just wondering if anyone else out there did any type of martial arts (bjj in particular but would love to hear of any other sport) and what type of protective equipment they wore.

For anyone who doesn't know, bjj is a type of submission wrestling but isn't as high energy as wrestling and doesn't involve too much slamming or hard impact. Jiu jitsu is Japanese for the gentle art.

Thanks!

Sam
    I have a fib...I do Crossfit. Gonna see what more Drs diagnosis is. Been an endurance athlete forever and now this. I'm curious to see what is done as I love to exercise.

Comment

I have not replied to this posting because I do not perform "any type of martial arts", however, I have an ICD which was implanted in April 2014. Since then I have played in men's ice hockey and I water-ski at a high level (backwards barefooting and short line slalom). If you are not familiar with water-skiing, those two types of skiing can be strenuous with a lot of upper body movement. I have not had any episodes with the ICD. I just have to remember to take my beta blockers or else I will have arrhythmia. I hope you find this information helpful..

Comment

Thanks for the responses, all of it helps. My Dr said no heavy resistance so crossfit is out for me. Playing hockey sounds similar to the type of exercise so good to hear that. Do you wear any special protective gear, or just wear the usual?

I don't have an arrhythmia so not worried about that yet. I haven't been prescribed beta blockers but suspect I will be soon. How did they effect your athletic performance? I'll prob just get beat up if I keep gassing too soon..

Thanks again!

Comment

For me aerobic activities are okay but not anaerobic, so no weight lifting or anything that you would do that you might hold your breath doing. Swimming is okay but I found out the hard way that I should not hold my breath for long periods and swim underwater.

As for protection playing ice hockey, I bought a set of woman's shoulder pads which have a breast protector which works good for protecting the ICD (don't tell the other guys ), lol.
          When waterskiing backwards, I have a padded barefoot waterski wet suit which has good chest protection.
          There are other shirt type padded chest protectors for sports like lacrosse and motocross riding. Check those out.

Beta blockers do slow me down so it takes more self motivation to get out and do stuff but once I do I am okay.

Comment

Here is a PDF of Dr. Maron's "risk" chart on exercise (Page 6). There is a more extensive one, but I couldn't find it. I also noted there is another published report on just hockey!
            Attached Files
            Marc
            Diagnosed @ 48
            Saw Dr. Michael Debakey @ age 5 - "He's fine, just a little noisy"
            Father to 3 boys 22, 25, 29 (all currently clear - pending genetics)
            AICD - Valentines Day '08, Spark Plug replaced 11/14
            After much research, I had a Myectomy @ Mayo for my 50th Birthday '08
            Quietly going insane . . .

Comment

Thank you Marc for sharing the document, that is good stuff. I will add it to my library.

My cardiologist and myself feel that in my case I have protection for sudden death with the ICD, I am not obstructed, have not had any "therapy" from the device and am 57 years of age. It is most likely that I would have had an episode by now if it were a concern.

I have been very active for all of my life and would have a difficult time reclining in my Lay-Z Boy and gaining weight. I have a slow metabolism to begin with and the beta blockers don't help in the regard either. My diet consists of high protein, low carbs, no sugar and no snacks just to keep my weight at an acceptable level. BMI is considered obese but I have an athletic build so that is not really a good indicator. The point is, the only enjoyment I get is skating with the boys in the winter and water-skiing in the summer. I want to "live" and enjoy the rest of my time on this green earth. If I would have listened to some of the doctors I had early in my diagnosis I would be sitting on the sidelines or in that Lay-Z Boy. I kept researching and getting the most information I could in regard to my condition and have had two exercise stress echo's done in the past three years to make sure I can handle the stress of the activities. For me, I have to really push hard to elevate my BPM to 130 because of the beta blockers. I was the only person to ever complete a full exercise bicycle stress echo at the hospital it was performed. The other was an inclined tread mill which I did very well on also.

So, anyone that would like to continue in strenuous activities who has HCM should not do it without first consulting a Cardiologist at a COE in my opinion. The first EP and Cardiologist for HCM I saw were not at a COE and I was getting conflicting information from them. I wanted to continue exercising so i kept researching and went to a COE for an expert opinion.

Comment

Hi all,

Glad I came across this group - awesome sharing thank you

Sitting in the hospital after coming in this morning for a check up on a 'faulty' lead.

Diagnosed with HOCM in 2001, in 2007 after following Dr's advice of no exercise had gained 10kg of fat (sofa diet lol) and was pre-syncope. Had an ICD implanted and decided no more - since then I've run a number of half marathons, couple of triathlons, two tough mudders and a half ironman - sharing this so that anybody with an ICD knows that life doesn't end. (mhochkins - I was also an ice-hockey player pre diagnoses lol and this is something I have been toying with restarting, although maybe ref only

Had my first device replaced last year - good spell and now the lead is faulty and needs a full refit aaaarrrrgggghhhh (Was really hoping not to have to think about this for another 10 years or so)

Now lead needs replacing, doing research on S-icd (I really want to keep up training - dman450569 I also incorporate crossfit into my training. Sam1984 good to hear you do jits as this is something I have wanted to do for years)

I guess as I wrote this my question should I go with an S-ICD has been answered - 90% yes, only thing is I really am trying to stay shock free - can they set the device to only go off over 200bpm

Hope what i've shared is okay - thanks all

Stephan

Comment

PS - I am a volunteer counsellor with another cardio association as well so if I can be of help to anyone who is part of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association please shout

Hope this was ok to share, if not my apologies

Comment

Sports and S-ICd from the Amercian College of Cardiologyhttp://www.acc.org/latest-in-cardiol...bcutaneous-icd

Comment

My son was diagnosed with HCM when he was 12 years old. He had a defibrillator implanted at the age of 17. He has never had an episode but due to him riding dirt bikes and does have slight scaring they felt he needed it.. Now he is 22 years old and has so many career ideas but, he most likely wont pass a physical due to limitations of not lifting over 50lbs. He was in college for engine repair and now he in school for the Applied process tech class, you can work at refineries. Just found out he most likely will not get a job in that field. His defibrillator is an issue, he thought about cardiac sonogram, it states you have to be able to lift over 50lbs. I don't know where to go now to help him. Any suggestions on careers? Any thoughts would be appreciated

Comment

Originally posted by houseofminotaur View Post
                        Sports and S-ICd from the Amercian College of Cardiologyhttp://www.acc.org/latest-in-cardiol...bcutaneous-icd
                        This is a great find. I'll definitely read it later on. Thank you very much for sharing, judyldavis71!

Comment

Hey Sam,

I was also recently diagnosed with HCM and I train frequently. I have not experienced any physical symptoms, other than a heart murmur my primary heard during a recent physical. This prompted the discovery of my HCM. I do not have an S-ICD. I am on Beta Blockers.

I too am interested in my ability to roll. I received mixed advice from my cardiologist (probably because he didn't understand the physical demands of bjj). I rolled lightly with a HR monitor and was over 170bpm. I'm not sure if this should be concerning.

Comment

Welcome to the forum R. Sports and physical limitations for people with HCM and / or an ICD are ongoing topics of research. I'm not sure who you are seeing for your HCM or what type of work up you have had but if you are being seen at an HCM center of Excellence they should be able to give you very specific sports recommendations based on your echocardiogram, your EKG, your family history and possibly a cardiac MRI. I see you live in Boston and Tufts has a highly reknowned HCM center. HCM does not go away and you are quite young, I would suggest getting hooked up with an expert to get the correct recommendations. HCM is usually an extremely small part of the average cardiologist's practice and their experience and expertise can be very limited and not necessarily up to date.

As an addendum a heart rate of 170 while on a beta blocker is very concerning!
                            Last edited by JillC; 10-09-2017, 04:49 PM.
                            After years of symptoms:
                            Officially Diagnosed HOCM 2006
                            Myectomy 3/11/13 at non-COE
                            Extended Myectomy 7/23/14
                            At Mayo with Dr. Joseph Dearani

Comment

Yes, I agree with Jill! Make an appointment with the HCM clinic at Tufts, get their evaluation and recommendations about sports. They'll be pretty clear, and it's one of the best places to go for HCM in the world.

Gordon
                              Myectomy on Feb. 5, 2007.

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
                              X