If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Heart Rate Monitor

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

LocoMoco organ transplant, type 1 diabetic, HCM. Trying to work on my diet & exercise habits. I guess my job these days is to not die early... Find out more about LocoMoco
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heart Rate Monitor

I am a new HCM patient and would like to exercise more. I currently use a Polar H7 chest strap but would like to try one of those strapless models such as the Fitbit Surge HR. Do you guys have any suggestions on this? Any opinions on these models specifically or other favorites?
    • Fitbit Surge Fitness Superwatch
    • Garmin Forerunner 225 GPS Heart Rate Monitor Watch
    • Mio Alpha 2 Heart Rate Sport Watch
    • adidas miCoach Fit Smart
    • TomTom Multi-Sport Cardio

Appreciate your opinion

Re: Heart Rate Monitor

I don't have anything to offer, but I personally found that I soon became very adapt at knowing my HR. While not exact, I could tell when I was exceeding my target or getting close to it. Personally, I ended up not using mine. Please consider telling us more about you in the "Hello, my name is" area.
    Marc
    Diagnosed @ 48
    Saw Dr. Michael Debakey @ age 5 - "He's fine, just a little noisy"
    Father to 3 boys 22, 25, 29 (all currently clear - pending genetics)
    AICD - Valentines Day '08, Spark Plug replaced 11/14
    After much research, I had a Myectomy @ Mayo for my 50th Birthday '08
    Quietly going insane . . .

Comment

How can you know your HR? I'm been afraid to push my exercise so I have been trying to keep my HR below 130. BTW, I am 50yrs old. I understand that most here are not physicians but I appreciate the guidance.

Comment

What flavor of HCM do you have? I was obstructed and took disopyramide. With that, I could not reach 130 if I wanted to, so the HR was not as important, I suppose.
        The wife and I have regular FitBits and we enjoy being a little competitive with steps. Things we like about them is that the battery life is like a week and they recharge quickly - such as while in the shower or driving a modest distance in the car (when you don't need them anyway). The software interface on the smartphone is really easy and intuitive as well. Don't know about the others.
        Angus Campbell
        Golden Isles Region, Southeast Georgia, USA

Dx'd HOCM at St Luke's Roosevelt, New York City, 2005
        Myectomy Jan 9th 2014 at Cleveland Clinic
        Drs Lever and Smedira

Comment

After my ICD was placed, I was eager to get back into the gym, but was also adapting to the weird Afib & other skipped beats one gets after implantation (the heart does not like sharp things poking it - but it adapts and gets used to it). I wore a watch-style HR monitor initially, then a chest strap one. after a while, I became very good at guessing my rate (within 5-10 beats). I also learned with my interrogations the difference in atrial and ventricle beats, PVC's and flutters.
          Marc
          Diagnosed @ 48
          Saw Dr. Michael Debakey @ age 5 - "He's fine, just a little noisy"
          Father to 3 boys 22, 25, 29 (all currently clear - pending genetics)
          AICD - Valentines Day '08, Spark Plug replaced 11/14
          After much research, I had a Myectomy @ Mayo for my 50th Birthday '08
          Quietly going insane . . .

Comment

I use a watch the is ecg rated and no strap and works perfectly. I match it up and drs when interrogating my icd . It is dead on.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Comment

I also use a free app called alivecor that you purchase a pad for back of phone and does an actual ekg. I love it!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Comment

I use a cheap monitor that you clip on a finger tip. I carry it in a pocket when I am walking. I get angina if my HR tops 110. I have an exercise tip that has helped me: a border collie puppy insisted I take him home last fall. He has gradually trained me to walk 3+ miles a day at a good clip rain or shine. He is working on me to walk more. This is the only exercise program that has worked since my health went into a downward spiral ten years ago. My dog is gradual, but unrelenting.

Comment

I have a Mio Alpha2 and wear it like a watch. At this point, my resting heart rate is around 62, and when I run I am now regularly taking my pulse up into the 135-140 range for 25-30 minutes at a time...with decent ramp up and down. i have kept that range up for 45 minutes recently and as I promised myself...entered in a 10KM run for Labor Day weekend....10 months post myectomy. Repeating the usual..consult your docs on what is appropriate for you.

Comment

Heart rate monitor - This Heart rate monitor is namely called Holter monitor is a battery-operated small portable device electrocardiogram (ECG) that measures and records your heart's activity continuously or longer depending on the type of monitoring used and that you can wear on your chest or in a pocket to automatically record your heart’s activity. It records your heart rhythm as you go about your daily activities for 24 hours up to 7 days, and provides your doctor with information about changes in your heart rhythm over that period of time.
                    Last edited by cardiacrhythmsolution; 11-06-2019, 09:09 AM.

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
                    X