If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Water Aerobics Anyone?

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

JillC RN for over 40 years, MS degree in Respiratory Nursing, Worked surgical open-heart ICU for 18 years in Chicago.. After years of symptoms finally diagnosed with HOCM in 2006. I retired from nursing 2012 due to HCM and had septal myectomy at Local hospital 2013, Redo myectomy Mayo Clinic 2014. Now doing well. Find out more about JillC
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Water Aerobics Anyone?

Is anyone familiar with the exercise physiology of water aerobics? I have a free health club membership through my insurance and the 24 hr fitness Super Club near by has a huge therapy pool.... Warmer than a lap pool and goes from 2ft to 4.5 ft deep for exercising in . They also have floating dumb bells and "noodles" etc to use.
    I have found I really enjoy exercising in this way and I seem to be developing some muscle mass if nothing else....I don't go to a class, I just invent my own " routine" and keep moving for 45 mins. I know this doesn't count towards weight bearing exercise ..... For bone strength, but does it count towards heart fitness? Haven't really checked my pulse while doing it, but it sure is easy on the joints.....feels like I'm on vacation! I alternate pool days and walking days......Now if they would just install some sand next to the pool and open all the windows.
    After years of symptoms:
    Officially Diagnosed HOCM 2006
    Myectomy 3/11/13 at non-COE
    Extended Myectomy 7/23/14
    At Mayo with Dr. Joseph Dearani

Re: Water Aerobics Anyone?

You could try doing the water aerobics holding a bucket of sand in each hand...and I bet that would be real exercise.

Comment

Water aerobics is an excellent source of exercise - especially those with joint issues and any form of "de-conditioning." Its a mild resistance (similar to light weights or rubber bands) and yes, excellent for the heart. If, after a while, and your feeling up to it, join a class and give it a try. All of this over time conditions you and you can eventually progress to weight training too - Just go at a pace that makes you happy.
      Marc
      Diagnosed @ 48
      Saw Dr. Michael Debakey @ age 5 - "He's fine, just a little noisy"
      Father to 3 boys 22, 25, 29 (all currently clear - pending genetics)
      AICD - Valentines Day '08, Spark Plug replaced 11/14
      After much research, I had a Myectomy @ Mayo for my 50th Birthday '08
      Quietly going insane . . .

Comment

(accidental double post)
        Last edited by ninelives; 04-09-2015, 10:34 PM.
        ICD implanted June 2010
        Septal/Apical Myectomy at Mayo, Nov 2012
        Catheter Ablation at Mayo, September 2013
        2015: can do most activities/sports again, and thankful to be alive

Comment

Originally posted by JillC View Post
          Is anyone familiar with the exercise physiology of water aerobics? I have a free health club membership through my insurance and the 24 hr fitness Super Club near by has a huge therapy pool.... Warmer than a lap pool and goes from 2ft to 4.5 ft deep for exercising in . They also have floating dumb bells and "noodles" etc to use.
          I have found I really enjoy exercising in this way and I seem to be developing some muscle mass if nothing else....I don't go to a class, I just invent my own " routine" and keep moving for 45 mins. I know this doesn't count towards weight bearing exercise ..... For bone strength, but does it count towards heart fitness? Haven't really checked my pulse while doing it, but it sure is easy on the joints.....feels like I'm on vacation! I alternate pool days and walking days......Now if they would just install some sand next to the pool and open all the windows.
          I spend a lot of time in the water (swimming, surfing) and thankful I can still participate in those activities. One thing I was told: with a heart condition, don't spend time in hot tubs or excessively warm water. Also, if you have experienced fainting spells, might not be the best thing, or at least have someone look out for you while you are in the pool.
          I have fainted in the ocean (before my myectomy), was very lucky and rescued by a good samaritan and beach lifeguards.
          ICD implanted June 2010
          Septal/Apical Myectomy at Mayo, Nov 2012
          Catheter Ablation at Mayo, September 2013
          2015: can do most activities/sports again, and thankful to be alive

Comment

Re water aerobics: Depending on your group leader you might be able to tolerate one class but not another. I cannot go into just any old class- some instructors feel that you must change muscle groups used every few seconds, and in many ways that can imitate burst type sports, which we are generally supposed to avoid. I do water walking/exercises in a lap pool by myself, at my own speed, and have had good results alternating with swimming laps(gentle swimming laps) sorta like the tortoise and the hare- I will never be the hare!!

Judy
            Dx Dec 2005 - HOCM with gradient of 80at rest, provokable to 150. Alcohol Ablation on Dec 22, 2005.
            Echos in April 2007 shows 0 gradient at rest, but gradient of 100 on provocation

Comment

I go to YMCA and they have arthritis classes in the pool. I love them

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

There are no members with birthdays today.

Working...
              X