If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lost 100 feeling great, so why am I so depressed?

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

Curtis Find out more about Curtis
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lost 100 feeling great, so why am I so depressed?

A lot has happened in last year. I had bariatric surgery(went great) lost about 100 pounds. Heart is doing great. However, my brother passed in February unexpectedly from biventricular cardiomyopathy. I am struggling with his passing and the anger of telling everyone in my family to get screened for 20+ years now. I am so angry about what I believe was an avoidable loss. In therapy now, does anyone have a similar story?

Re: Lost 100 feeling great, so why am I so depressed?

Originally posted by Curtis View Post
    A lot has happened in last year. I had bariatric surgery(went great) lost about 100 pounds. Heart is doing great. However, my brother passed in February unexpectedly from biventricular cardiomyopathy. I am struggling with his passing and the anger of telling everyone in my family to get screened for 20+ years now. I am so angry about what I believe was an avoidable loss. In therapy now, does anyone have a similar story?
    Yes u are not alone. It seems impossible that relatives once informed willing ignore reality . Not only that but they resent u for talking about it. the only advice i can suggest is lead by example . Realitives might learn something.I know its not easy but take care of yourself.

Comment

Curtis, I am very sorry to hear of your brother's passing. I agree with Tim. The best we can hope to do is lead by example. When I was first diagnosed I made sure all of my siblings had the appropriate information regarding HCM and stressed the importance of proper screening... if not for their own benefit then at least for their children. It largely fell on deaf ears and to my surprise, several actually seemed angered by the suggestion that they might also have it. I've since backed off entirely and hope that nothing happens to any of them, but if something does, I won't allow myself to feel badly about it. Once they have the information, it is entirely in their hands.
      "Some days you're the dog... some days you're the hydrant."

Comment

Curtis, I am seeing your post belatedly, but have similar situation with 2 diseases that are prevalent in my family: HCM and colon cancer. My three sisters are excellent about screening and 2 of them have HCM. However, over the yrs, I have lost several family members to both diseases and, like you,feel that these were preventable deaths. We all have choices. and, if those we love choose to put their heads in the sand, there is nothing we can do about it. I know the feeling of wanting to scream, "WHY !!!" to the heavens. Keep with your therapy, and know that you are not alone...

Anne

Comment

Working...
        X