If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First Half Marathon! YES very slow, recreational and TONS of fun:)

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

Srmartinson Dx in 1996, ICD in 4/2004, Battery recalled, 2nd ICD lead failure 3/31/07, rec. 26 inappro. shocks Find out more about Srmartinson
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Half Marathon! YES very slow, recreational and TONS of fun:)

Hi everyone, I just wanted to share that I finished the SF Women's half marathon yesterday! I went extremely slow, I know my body, it was recreational speed and I loved that they had AEDs everywhere (I checked in with the race director before I signed up!, told them my story, etc and to be PREPARED!) They were awesome, discussed with me hydration, level of effort, etc. I am so appreciative for your efforts that I wanted to share this news!

Although I know many of us may not be able to do this, I just wanted to share my story as I know we each have our own story.... Thanks for reading.

Stephanie
    Dx 1995 with non-obstructed HCM, verapamil 120mg
    2004, ICD, battery recall and migration x2 (3 surgeries)
    2007, 26 inappropriate shocks fr. Lead failure, two lead extraction surgeries...(total 8 surgeries in 4 years NO FUN)
    Since 2008, Living without ICD.......
    2011 First chest pains, frequent Began thinking about new ICD,,,,
    10-2014 I'm ready!

Re: First Half Marathon! YES very slow, recreational and TONS of fun

Great for you Stephanie. What an awesome achievement. Other than the hills, SF must be a great area to do a race. I fondly recall the Bay to Breakers many many years ago.
    Jall

Diagnosed with unobstructed HCM in 2004 after a bad experience playing tennis
    Graduated to obstructed HCM by Dec, 2008.

Life outside of HCM: Law, Photography, Tennis, Music, raising kids and camping

Comment

Stephanie,

I just want to chime in with my congratulations: you're my Hero for the Day.

I've been considering entering *some* sort of shorter race, not because it's something I did before the whole HCM/myectomy/ICD thing (I didn't! Although I was plenty fit and extremely active in other areas), but because I'm exposed to it a lot as a photographer. During the summer and fall months I shoot a lot of Ironman triathlons, and it's impossible not to be inspired.

Bask in your accomplishment, you've just re-defined the possible!

Comment

Congrats to you!
        Daughter of Father with HCM
        Diagnosed with HCM 1999.
        Full term pregnancy - Son born 11/01
        ICD implanted 2/03; generator replaced 2/2005 and 2/2012
        Myectomy 8/11/06 - Joe Dearani - Mayo Clinic.

Comment

Thank you! I now might be meeting up with the race director from the Nike Women's Marathon, very excited!
          2007, 26 inappropriate shocks fr. Lead failure, two lead extraction surgeries...(total 8 surgeries in 4 years NO FUN)
          10-2014 I'm ready!

Comment

Good for you
            Midge

Diagnosed in 1977, Myectomy in 1981 @ Mayo Rochester
            ICD&Pacemaker 1996
            Heart transplant March 19, 2004 @ Mayo Rochester
            Mom of Kaye.

Comment

Great to hear & glad you investigated resources available to you!
              Marc
              Diagnosed @ 48
              Saw Dr. Michael Debakey @ age 5 - "He's fine, just a little noisy"
              Father to 3 boys 22, 25, 29 (all currently clear - pending genetics)
              AICD - Valentines Day '08, Spark Plug replaced 11/14
              After much research, I had a Myectomy @ Mayo for my 50th Birthday '08
              Quietly going insane . . .

Comment

Stephanie, that is so awesome!

Despite the limitations imposed by our disease you completed the marathon the 'HCM-way' and in the process made a real statement.

Very proud of you!
                "Some days you're the dog... some days you're the hydrant."

Comment

Thank you Jim and everyone, It has been a crazy few days, i just met the Head MD for the 2012 Olympics!!!
                  10-2014 I'm ready!

Comment

Congratulations! Thanks for posting; it is great to see that for some HCMers, there is a lot we can still do! It is great that you took precautions and "did it right." (I assume your COE approved!) Half marathon! Wow!

Hey, dancephoto, you'll find me volunteering in women's T1 & T2 at Ironman Lake Placid.
                    Susan
                    Diagnosed at age 53 in April 2010 (after having been
                    "cleared" several times)
                    Into running & cycling - cleared to continue at mild to
                    moderate level
                    Extensive family history
                    Lost my mom, aunt and nephew to SCD
                    St. Judes "Fortify VR" ICD implanted 8/30/2010 "Ces't Watt"

Comment

Working...
                    X