If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fitness Improvement Slow?

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

JOHNNZ Find out more about JOHNNZ
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fitness Improvement Slow?

Hi all,

This is my first post in here and I apologise if this topic has been covered before but I couldn't find any posts relating to it through the search function. First up here's my state of play with HCM

I was diagnosed about 15 years ago (age 32), and at the time I had experienced none of the usual symptoms. Now, of course, I notice anything from heart flutters, palpatations, and head-spins. Whether these were occurring or not before I was diagnosed, well I'm just not sure. These symptoms occur infrequently, I have never passed out, I have never felt faint.

I take no meds, but have had an ICD implanted - my choices and I don't really want to get into a discussion about them.

My question is regarding fitness. I've never been a sports bunny, but have kept myself trim via diet and a minimal amount of exercise, usually hiking, yet I've never been very fit. However recently I've been hiking a lot more (OK'ed by my cardiologist) and I expected an improvement in my fitness. However I still seem to struggle with inclines as much as I did prior to the increase in hiking.

So I'm wondering do people with HCM improve their fitness at a slower rate than non-HCM people?

I can't seem to find an answer to that anywhere.

Any responses greatly appreciated!

JB

Re: Fitness Improvement Slow?

It may be that the difficulty with inclines is a symptom of your HCM. It sure was for me. My difficulty with inclines continued to worsen until I had a myectomy. That was one of the things that really made me go ahead with the surgery.
    Daughter of Father with HCM
    Diagnosed with HCM 1999.
    Full term pregnancy - Son born 11/01
    ICD implanted 2/03; generator replaced 2/2005 and 2/2012
    Myectomy 8/11/06 - Joe Dearani - Mayo Clinic.

Comment

Wow, I'd not even thought of that! And it sort of makes sense I guess. So the theory is that I'll always struggle with inclines no matter what I do, surgery excepted?

Comment

Medications might help also. I had a few which helped the symptoms (and still do), but ultimately, they stopped working which is why I chose surgery. However, a trial of various medications would always be the way to go before resorting to surgery which is more of a last resort.
        Diagnosed with HCM 1999.

Comment

Yeah, I'm keen to stay off meds if I can and surgery seems a bit extreme for me. I don't really have any of the major symptoms.

I was just expecting a improvement in fitness with the increase in hiking.

Oh well, I'll just have to live with it I guess.

Many thanks for your replies, they have been most enlightening!

Cheers

Comment

Be well, and don't be afraid of taking medication. It can really help you feel better so you can hike without feeling terrible.
            Diagnosed with HCM 1999.

Comment

I don't feel terrible when I'm hiking I was just expecting an improvement in my fitness.

To be honest when I'm out hiking I never feel any palpatations or flutters and all is good with the world

May be I should discuss the lack of fitness improvement with my cardiologist? I just thought he would have mentioned it. Of course there is the option that I'm not trying hard enough

Appreciate the reply Cynaburst

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
              X