If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tell them at they Gym?

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

bouncytruck Husband and father of 2. Graphic designer, auto enthusiast and cyclist. Find out more about bouncytruck
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tell them at they Gym?

Should I tell them at the gym of my condition? I think it would be a good idea, but I'm not sure if they would/could cancel my membership because I may be a risk? (it's a small gym I've been going to for over 12 years.)

I've never passed out and I have changed my routine drastically since diagnosis in Sept '11.
    Chris
    45 - husband & father of two, Bothell, WA (Seattle suburb)
    Designer & Creative Director
    Diagnosed September 2011
    100mg Atenonol
    Saving and planning for a myectomy

Re: Tell them at they Gym?

I always have told my gym monitors. Better to have them aware of any potential risk.
    Midge

Diagnosed in 1977, Myectomy in 1981 @ Mayo Rochester
    ICD&Pacemaker 1996
    Heart transplant March 19, 2004 @ Mayo Rochester
    Mom of Kaye.

Comment

I would think that if a gym cancels you because you are at risk then they arent prepared to handle you if you are at risk. Sooooooooooo if they cant and it were me and I was at risk. I would find another gym that was.
      Diagnosed HCM October 2011(obstructed)
      ICD Implanted 10/14/2011
      First trip to Cleveland Clinic 11/16/2011
      Septal Myectomey 12/14/2011
      A better life started 12/15/2011

Comment

Pretty much what I was thinking too.
        Chris
        45 - husband & father of two, Bothell, WA (Seattle suburb)
        Designer & Creative Director
        Diagnosed September 2011
        100mg Atenonol
        Saving and planning for a myectomy

Comment

I have told my local Y and I take my personal AED to advanced yoga classes at a very small studio in my town so they definitely know. I really believe in the power of awareness hope that helps!
          Dx 1995 with non-obstructed HCM, verapamil 120mg
          2004, ICD, battery recall and migration x2 (3 surgeries)
          2007, 26 inappropriate shocks fr. Lead failure, two lead extraction surgeries...(total 8 surgeries in 4 years NO FUN)
          Since 2008, Living without ICD.......
          2011 First chest pains, frequent Began thinking about new ICD,,,,
          10-2014 I'm ready!

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
          X