If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Miss Running

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

will519 Find out more about will519
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Miss Running

Hello,

On Jan 31st, I was told I have moderate HCM, not much else. I just got referred to the Cleveland Clinic on April 11th. Before this happen, I just ran 14 miles on Jan 29th and not have not any cardio since. I feel that I am going stir crazy because I did not get much infomation from the doctor. I am finding out alot more information about what I have from you guys in this support group. My cardiologist wants me to go to cardio-rehab, just waiting on insurance company authorization. On March 17th I was planning on running my 19th marathon. The nurse who did my follow-up appointment after my hospital stay told me that I should get my heart rate above 150 when I am running and was told that marathon running was out. Just looking for any ideas so I can keep up my fitness level. I just miss my morning runs. Hope to hear some good advice from my new fitness friends. Have a nice day everyone.

Re: Miss Running

Marathons and hcm don't go together.i ran 11 Marathons before hcm shut me down. It's not just the running. The electrolyte loss after 26.2 miles is just to dangers. I know its hard I had to stop 20 years ago but my dogs love to go for long walks. All my children have had to give up sports. I know its hard. Good luck.

Comment

Will,

I hear you brother. I was never a runner until I met my wife. But boy do I miss it every single day. I had to stop and start just walking around a track but that's been giving me problems as well.

Yoga has been my only savior as far as still feeling like I worked out and help keep in good shape. It's challenging and I always feel great when I'm done, just like after a nice run. Also, the calming aspect of Yoga has been very good for my mental state in dealing with this issue.

I heard Pilates is good as well to keep your heart rate down but I haven't tried yet. I wish I could give you more ideas.

Thanks,
      Mike

Comment

I walk at a quick pace daily. About 30 miles a week. Running was never my thing, and with walking you just need to go longer instead of the higher intensity of running. Even when it is cold I go out..just have to bundle up and in the hot summers I go very early before it gets hot because HCM and exercising in high heat do not go well for me.

Comment

Have you tried cycling? It's acceptable as long as you stay away from too many hills and it's great fun!

Comment

Hello,

Thanks everyone, Pattib, I was just about to go and ask about cycling. I have a nice bike and here in Ohio, we have miles of towpath trails which are mostly flat. I thnk I am going to try that as soon as the weather warms up a little.

Comment

Hey Will,

I'm here in Cleveland as well!

Comment

Hi Mike, nice to meet you.

Comment

Bill,
                  Let me make sure I understand. What did your cardiologist tell you about limiting your exercise? Did they just say no more serious running? Or did they say something more restrictive than that?

Gordon
                  Myectomy on Feb. 5, 2007.

Comment

Hello,

He told me to keep my heart rate under 150bpm and also said no more marathon running.

Comment

OK -- that's more or less what I thought. When you go to Cleveland, make sure to talk with them about this; they may tell you something a bit different.

I think the most important points for now are that (1) you CAN and SHOULD still exercise, but (2) you do need to avoid exercise that either calls for really substantial endurance or involves sudden demands on your heart. Marathons are obviously in the first category. Things like competitive basketball are in the 2nd. In other words, there's no reason you can't do things like bike, walk, swim . . . so long as you're not trying to bike 100 miles in a day or sprint-swim, etc.

Gordon
                      Myectomy on Feb. 5, 2007.

Comment

Hello,

My insurance company just authorize me to go to cardio-rehab, I start tomorrow. Not exactly sure what they are going to do. I just miss working out and hopefully I can get some valuable information on what I can or cannot do. I will keep you posted.

Comment

Hello,

I just got back to work after my 1st day of cardio-rehab, they had me do several machines. They want me to get in a total of 40 minutes of cardio 3 times a week. It felt good, no pain or discomfort.

Comment

Congratulations
                            Dx 1995 with non-obstructed HCM, verapamil 120mg
                            2004, ICD, battery recall and migration x2 (3 surgeries)
                            2007, 26 inappropriate shocks fr. Lead failure, two lead extraction surgeries...(total 8 surgeries in 4 years NO FUN)
                            Since 2008, Living without ICD.......
                            2011 First chest pains, frequent Began thinking about new ICD,,,,
                            10-2014 I'm ready!

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
                            X