If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fasting and HCM

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

Toogoofy317 non-obstructed hcm, AICD 11-01-02 and 10-6-05 Find out more about Toogoofy317
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fasting and HCM

So, my church is doing a 24 hour fast tonight and I'm wondering if it is the safe thing to do?
    Mary

Re: Fasting and HCM

I see no harm in trying but make sure you have a candy or fiber bar with you or maybe a sandwich. At the first sign of anything just eat it and be happy with the fact that you at least tried. No God would ever want you to risk your health.

I am Jewish, not religious but do try to keep some of the traditions -- find that I can no longer fast on Yom Kippur.

Mary, no matter what faith you believe in you can only do what you can do.

Comment

Mary. It is probably different for each of us. My PCP told me, "NO fasting." But I assumed he was speaking of with holding food and water. Plus my meds need to be taken with food, so I always eat a little bit during the day.

I trust your time of prayer/fasting together with your faith community will be very beneficial!

Peace,

Leon
      God Squad co-moderator
      Nothing is as gentle as strength and nothing is as strong as gentleness

Comment

I think it will also depend on your planned activity level. If you are going to be sedentary and contemplative that's one thing. Trying to be physically active or tooling around on a motorcycle with low blood sugar might not be wise ... or safe.

Comment

Mary, you must stay hydrated with plenty of water. If they are withholding water then no you cannot and should not do it.
          Midge

Diagnosed in 1977, Myectomy in 1981 @ Mayo Rochester
          ICD&Pacemaker 1996
          Heart transplant March 19, 2004 @ Mayo Rochester
          Mom of Kaye.

Comment

Mary,
            You know, if it is a fast, it's a fast of something. May not be food. Yes, that is something important that we give up, however it may not be good for YOU. YOU can choose what you will fast on. It could be the radio, the TV or something else that is important to you (like sleeping in your bed). It's about the concept of fasting, it's not about food.
            Linda
            Onward and Upward !

Diagnosed 4/07 HCM with fixed & dynamic obstruction
            Myectomy with resected cordonae tendonae 4/08 CCF
            ICD 10/08

Comment

Yeah, trying to fast and work was not the brightest idea! I was already kinda dehydrated due to the stomach flu. I got through 6 hours of work but was feeling pretty cruddy so went home early. When I got home was feeling pretty bad so I had some soup. I will try to do the best I can but really need to discuss with my doctor. Also, our fast was just refraining from food not liquids and pastor pretty explicitly stated if we had health problems to clear it with our doctors.

Mary

Comment

Local cardio said no way! I'm already giving up soda for the year. I will just have to pick something else.

mary

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
                X