If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sodium intake and SOB/getting "wiped out"

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

the search for moderation Find out more about the search for moderation
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sodium intake and SOB/getting "wiped out"

I have been watching my sodium lately and I have to say that I feel so much better. I am keeping my sodium around 1500 mg / day. My shortness of breath is so much better... over the last month, the couple of times that I have eaten a sodium ridden meal it wipes me out (lethargic) and I have to lay down and regroup. I also need to lay off the treadmill the following day.

Is anyone else notice these type things with sodium intake?

I must also mention that due to the shortness of breath, the doc increase my metoprolol from 50mg a day to 100 a day in late december but i didn't really notice a change in how i felt until the the second week in january. I cut back on sodium on jan 5th and within a couple of days i started feeling better.

Help me make sense of this...is sodium really causing this much trouble with my symptoms???

I also want to say that as I try to lose weight reducing the sodium is helping as well but putting aside the "boxed" and "canned" dinners are very difficult.
    Last edited by the search for moderation; 01-26-2012, 10:04 PM.
    • Diagnosed with HOCM 7/09
    • ICD implanted 8/3/09 - Mayo Clinic
    • Septal Myectomy at Mayo by Dr. Dearani on August 16th, 2012
    • I left a piece of my heart at Mayo Clinic and I am forever grateful
    • I currently take Metoprolol Tartrate 50 MG twice daily

Re: Sodium intake and SOB/getting "wiped out"

Sodium, like alcohol affects HCM'rs differently. If it feel good to limit it - go for it. As for boxed food. They're usually high in sodium or if not, they taste like old socks. I've been on WW for a 2 weeks now and down 10! Try to cook real food on weekends for your meals at work (I cook lots of chicken, turkey) then either add it to a salad, brown rice or with veggies. There are ways to to plan your meals so you'll save money and sodium too! While I snack on fruits, with the points system I can still have an occasional reese's peanut butter cup!
    Marc
    Diagnosed @ 48
    Saw Dr. Michael Debakey @ age 5 - "He's fine, just a little noisy"
    Father to 3 boys 22, 25, 29 (all currently clear - pending genetics)
    AICD - Valentines Day '08, Spark Plug replaced 11/14
    After much research, I had a Myectomy @ Mayo for my 50th Birthday '08
    Quietly going insane . . .

Comment

I have had to limit my sodium since my SCA, and have found it is not so bad. I was quite bloated at that time. I always read labels to check for sugar because of the diabetes in my family, but not for sodium. Now I do more of my own cooking no matter what, I go online before I go out to eat to see if I can find the nutrition content of the items on the menu and I have found some great low sodium recipes online, including this website http://www.lowsodiumcooking.com/free/Archive.htm I was told to limit my sodium to 2000 mg per day. There are wonderful salt substitutes out there now and I enjoy trying new recipes now. I can REALLY taste the sodium in food now.
      Sister diagnosed with HCM 1987, died April 2012 of "unknown causes" as her family did not want autopsy
      My testing: 1987 and 1988 misdiagnosed with mitral valve prolapse
      Asthma diagnosis 1991
      Nephew diagnosed with HCM 1999
      Previous misdiagnosis "confirmed" 1999
      Cardiac arrest: 10/4/2010
      Induced hypothermic coma 10/4/2010
      ICD implanted 10/13/2010

Comment

I have plans to splurge and go eat steak and baked potato (with sauteed mushrooms and onions) this weekend and I find myself struggling between asking the cook to use no salt on the steak or just not worry about it and get back on track the next day. My wife and I plan on skipping the appetizers...so...that would be a little better. I do good most days to stay under 1500 mg of sodium. It's alot easier than I thought with the exception of going out to a restaurant. I have been eating alot of fresh fruits and vegetables and lean meats (no deli meat) and limiting bread to 2-4 slices a day. Bread is where I get most of the sodium per serving (80mg / slice). Is their a danger of getting too little sodium? some days I may only get 700-1000mg.

Does anyone have any hard evidence or personal experience that sodium increases sob in hcm patients and gets better with a diet consisting of less than 1500mg. Just curious.
        Last edited by the search for moderation; 01-27-2012, 01:59 AM.
        • Diagnosed with HOCM 7/09
        • ICD implanted 8/3/09 - Mayo Clinic
        • Septal Myectomy at Mayo by Dr. Dearani on August 16th, 2012
        • I left a piece of my heart at Mayo Clinic and I am forever grateful
        • I currently take Metoprolol Tartrate 50 MG twice daily

Comment

For many people, whether they have HCM or not, a low sodium diet is best. It is not as hard as one might think as there are many herbs, spices and other natural things you can use - personally I like Mrs. Dash and there are many flavors to choose from, all sodium free. Eating in a restaurant should not be a problem as long as you stick to grilled or broiled meat or fish and don't be afraid to order it with no salt, carry your own seasoning and when your food arrives use it. No need to turn down dinner invitations either as an occasional "cheat" will not harm, just watch your intake the rest of the day.

When checking sodium content on prepackaged items don't forget your condiments and seasonings, lemon pepper has salt listed as first ingredient.

Comment

Restaurant food is notoriously high in sodium - it makes food taste good! Ask if it can be prepared without salt. Within a restaurant certain items are pre-prepared - sauces mainly, so items using these may not be adjusted.
            Marc
            Diagnosed @ 48
            Saw Dr. Michael Debakey @ age 5 - "He's fine, just a little noisy"
            Father to 3 boys 22, 25, 29 (all currently clear - pending genetics)
            AICD - Valentines Day '08, Spark Plug replaced 11/14
            After much research, I had a Myectomy @ Mayo for my 50th Birthday '08
            Quietly going insane . . .

Comment

Makes perfect sense to me that sodium has a direct effect on HCM symptoms via increased blood volume, fluid retention, and increased demands on the kidneys and heart. Since adopting a primarily whole foods diet my sodium intake rarely exceeds 1500 mg per day and the bulk of that is naturally occuring.... with the exception of Frank's Redhot sauce which is pretty high in sodium. I just love the stuff and put it on everything.
              "Some days you're the dog... some days you're the hydrant."

Comment

I can't eat steak without salt. It is just not the same. I would ask them to cut it WAY back, however. I know I really taste the salt in restaurant food now.
                Sister diagnosed with HCM 1987, died April 2012 of "unknown causes" as her family did not want autopsy
                My testing: 1987 and 1988 misdiagnosed with mitral valve prolapse
                Asthma diagnosis 1991
                Nephew diagnosed with HCM 1999
                Previous misdiagnosis "confirmed" 1999
                Cardiac arrest: 10/4/2010
                Induced hypothermic coma 10/4/2010
                ICD implanted 10/13/2010

Comment

See,
                  I'm the odd ball as usual my bo runs quite low and my docs are always encouraging me to add salt. But I only like salt on potatoes. I've got the stomach flu right now and the doctors are freaking out my bp has been in the 70s and they want more soup and powerade.

Mary

Comment

Mary, if you are ill and probably dehydrated, you should not consider the fast you posted on another thread. But I bet you know that!

Comment

Yup, Deb you are right made it through 8 hours. Wasn't going to make myself worse.

Mary

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
                      X