If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Spit up a little pink when exercising

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

the search for moderation Find out more about the search for moderation
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spit up a little pink when exercising

I have HOCM.

Sometimes, when I exercise I get a raspy feeling in my chest, get very short winded and have to take short choppy breaths...I have to quit exercising and then I spit up a little (light pink) blood in my spit. This is always exercise induced.

The dx at mayo in august of 2009 said "clear systolic anterior motion of the mitral valve leaflets with dynamic left ventricular outflow tract obstruction. The maximum instantaneous gradient increased from 12 mmHg at rest to 85 mmHg with Valsalva and 100 mmHg with amyl nitrite inhalation." and something about moderate mitral regurgitation.

ef of 77%, 17mm basal septum and 15mm basal inferolateral wall. abnormal delayed enhancement.

presence of significant systolic anterior motion of both valve leaflets and cauda. This is accompanied by posteriorly-directed jet of mitral regurgitation which is moderate in nature.

btw...I have quit exercising other than slow walking until my mayo trip in september.

Could any of the above have to do with why i am spitting up pinkish blood. If anyone wants to jump in and let me know what some of that means that would be great too.

Thanks
    • Diagnosed with HOCM 7/09
    • ICD implanted 8/3/09 - Mayo Clinic
    • Septal Myectomy at Mayo by Dr. Dearani on August 16th, 2012
    • I left a piece of my heart at Mayo Clinic and I am forever grateful
    • I currently take Metoprolol Tartrate 50 MG twice daily

Re: Spit up a little pink when exercising

This is something you should check out with your doctor - Sept is 2 months away - if you can clearly relate this to the exercise, it will give the medical team a pretty good idea what is happening. It may call for a re-evaluation of your meds - you can prob do this locally in conjunction with the Mayo team - then they will have an idea by the time you get there, can order more tests if appropriate or will know what has been done and how it has worked out for you. Ideally, the 2 teams would work together on this.

I hate to think you have to continue to deal with this and limit your activities for another 2 months - wishing you the best -

Linda

Comment

I agree with Linda. Go get it checked out.
      Onward and Upward !

Diagnosed 4/07 HCM with fixed & dynamic obstruction
      Myectomy with resected cordonae tendonae 4/08 CCF
      ICD 10/08

Comment

Before my myectomy, I had much the same symptoms, except spitting up pink stuff. The raspiness (with the need to cough something up --even w/o exercising), sob & short breaths were initially diagnosed as asthma until my HCM diagnosis. Then the raspiness was attributed to my regurgitation -- the back flow of blood back into the lungs. I had much the same readings as you & there was no way I could exercise & we tried all kinds of meds that can help HCM. Do you cough up stuff even w/o exercise, if so is it pink then? Now after my myectomy in Feb, I feel great and don't have any of those symptoms. Coughing up blood tho is not good --see your dr asap.
        Mer

Diagnosed 09/2009 @51 yrs old- HCOM
        Myectomy 2/17/2011
        Son & Daughter no findings as of yet (echos)
        No family history determined yet -- 1 sister, 2 brothers & extended family.

Comment

I don't spit up when I don't exercise. I have gained 40 pounds since I quit. I could walk but I have back trouble as well and when I do walk on treadmill, my back hurts for the next couple of days. I truly miss the elliptical.

Did your doc allow for you to get off bb'ers completely and see how exercise worked for you without the meds? Doc gave me ok to get off bb'ers and I have been off them for one week now. I want to start trying to ease into cardio again but am scared that I will have same result. I understand the regurgitation thing because of the SAM but is it possible that the bb'ers could have been causing me to spit up. I'm thinking, if the meds make my heart slow down and I am trying to increase my heart rate then I could be pushing my hr past where i should and it's too much fighting against one another. Just a thought.

Another question...it has been one week since I have been off Metoprolol, How long does it take to completely get out of system?
          Last edited by the search for moderation; 07-09-2011, 01:03 PM.
          • Diagnosed with HOCM 7/09
          • ICD implanted 8/3/09 - Mayo Clinic
          • Septal Myectomy at Mayo by Dr. Dearani on August 16th, 2012
          • I left a piece of my heart at Mayo Clinic and I am forever grateful
          • I currently take Metoprolol Tartrate 50 MG twice daily

Comment

No, the beta blockers wouldn't make regurgitation more likely, whether exercising or not.

Gordon
            Myectomy on Feb. 5, 2007.

Comment

Before any suggestion I recommend you that you should consult to Doctor and get a complete checkup of you spit. Do't worry It is not any serious problem.
              Corona Rehabilitation Center

Comment

Sorry to dig up an old thread, but hopefully if some one searches this in Google they may find more information or at least start asking the right questions.

This is a problem I suffer with considerably, especially swimming or horsing around in the pool with my little ones. Sometimes I can do a fast paced walk with the wife for 4kms without a problem, but usually within 2kms I have to slow right down to let the lungs catch up, but even then it is too late to control reasonably well at a very slow pace.

It is due to regurgitation and the backup of blood through the lungs. In the early stages of the event you may find thin muscus, possibly throthy and yellowing, and then it likely turns slightly pink to rather red if you keep going or don't rest immediately. If you exhale all the way you'll likely hear crackling from your lungs. This is oedema caused by the SAM part of your HOCM - and I would suggest your ejection fraction is a lot lower than what you think it is or what they are reporting to you.

The EF percentage can be based on recovery time typically regardless of fitness level. If you suffer the pinky tinge phlegm for longer than 30 minutes your ejection fraction is likely lower than 40% - especially if the oedema (measurable by the crackling sound from your lungs) takes more than a day to ease or disapear. It's a catch 22 as diuretics can solve the problem but you need the blood as thin as possible to minimise internal heart pressure.

You can try more cardiac focused bb's, like Nebivolol, that may slightly help with the asthma like symptoms of HOCM. It can take some experimentation as there are a few options that may fit you best.

It is scary, and it certainly isn't harmless. If your lungs can't clear out quickly enough you may develop pneumonia (occurred three times in 4 years, hospitalised all three times for an average of 5 days) and lead to other respiratory issues.

Ultimately, the key is to find different ways to exercise. Gardening is good as there's plenty of stop/starting cycles that allow the recover phase to occur more often. I have a half hour alarm to climb up a flight of stairs at work - also helps reduce fatigue due to the condition and meds.

I'd be keen to hear about other ideas on what exercise chronic suffers have found they can achieve. Surfing perhaps? I blame my inability to perform like a Spannish conquistador between the sheets on HOCM. I did tell my wife, prior to being diagnosed mind you, that I will be a constant source of disappointment- and I didn't fail to deliver on that promise. It's good to blame a medical condition on a 2 minute (intense) performance.

Take care,
                Last edited by Honestar; 04-22-2021, 08:27 AM.

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
                X