If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HCM Biggest Loser Contest

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

Jall
Jall
Major Contributor
Find out more about Jall
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: HCM Biggest Loser Contest

No progress, no regression, and no one to blame but myself. But here are some more motivational phrases for the last two weeks of the contest: batten down the hatches, put the pedal to the metal, put it in overdrive, put it high gear, leave nothing on the field.

Jim, glad your fluid issues are resolving. See everyone next Monday..

Jeff
    Jall

Diagnosed with unobstructed HCM in 2004 after a bad experience playing tennis
    Graduated to obstructed HCM by Dec, 2008.

Life outside of HCM: Law, Photography, Tennis, Music, raising kids and camping

Comment

Today's weight 174.5. So I just about lost the 3 lbs and started new job today. sigh of relief I think the stress had gotten to me - worrying about the job falling thru until signed paperwork this week... I was thinking that I can always have an excuse about something giving me stress, (and beat myself up about it) But, there are different degrees of stress and should take that into consideration. when making major changes in ingrained habits at same time as major life stress. Just hoping to get on a good regamine with new schedule and less worry now. Hoping to lose at least 4-5 lbs below my starting weight (173) by our end date--renew exercise schedule and develop new and better habits ... Best wishes to all

Comment

Hello

Well..........................and then...........................and that is about it. I did ride my bike about 330 miles across Iowa. I am having a huge motivational factor for the last few weeks. Meaning I do not have any. I am going to start calorie couting/ Weight Watchers points plus and then taking a picture of what I am going to eat on my cell phone so I can keep better track of it. I also think my metabolism is used to me burning about 800 or so calories in exercise so I need to take some time off in order to reset my metabolism. (faulty logic on my part) I am also looking for that magic pill to drop into my lap, but I do not think that will happen.

Scott
        Every day is a present I was diagnosed when I was 38, I have asthma which made me assume it was ashtma, getting old, and being about 30 lbs over what I should be. I have days when I would rather not know. Myectomy club 3Jan06 CCF, my life is so much better!!!!

Comment

Well if nothing else, perhaps we have demonstrated the challenges to losing weight with HCM. I have to say that I've really been giving this my all, but the weight just hasn't come off like I expected. I don't like to blame meds and/or the disease for everything, but there's quite a bit of published research now about beta-blockers and weight gain, metabolic syndrome, insulin resistance and whatnot. I'm still hoping to pull a last-minute weightloss out of my butt and at least show a ten pound loss for the three months. It's not what I wanted, but still respectable I think. Congrats to everyone on your efforts!
          mtlieb
          Brave Heart
          Last edited by mtlieb; 08-17-2011, 12:19 PM.
          "Some days you're the dog... some days you're the hydrant."

Comment

Hi all,

I'm still at 174.5. And have to admit that I didn't get the exercise in that I needed. But just learning this is a plus. .....i will remain optomistic! still 2 more weeks... i will admit frustration! But I really have learned alot, and thank y'all for sharing your journeys and your support!! Will post till the end and hope to actually put to use what I've learned. Regards, Jlaurie

Comment

I peeked at the scale on Sunday and was shocked to see that I gained 5 pounds in a matter of a few days. Yesterday, I cut back on salt and spent some time in a sauna and three of those pounds disappeared. So I am not going to offically report in this week under the belief, mistaken or not, that I have some fluid issue going on. I started with Pradaxa and one side effect is fluid retention. I am still eating better and gunning for a good number as the competition winds down. Everybody hang in there.

Jeff
              Jall

Comment

It must be contagious, this weight gain! I did it too! Jeez, maybe it is oozing through the computer keyboard....LOL. No, really, I did put on 2 pounds this week- too chicken to report it yesterday. Yesterday morning my weight was 278.2. I did some binging this week- also taking care of grandchildren is always a little stressful, but I gotta get mean with myself, and get back on the straight and narrow. I will try to think thin- good luck to everyone this week.

JudyA
                Dx Dec 2005 - HOCM with gradient of 80at rest, provokable to 150. Alcohol Ablation on Dec 22, 2005.
                Echos in April 2007 shows 0 gradient at rest, but gradient of 100 on provocation

Comment

I finally got the ship turned around and headed in the right direction. With only one week to go in our competition, I weighed in at 206.4 this morning. Pretty confident that I can get at least another pound by Labor day. This past week I got militant about processed sugar, meaning I stopped eating anything with processed sugar in it. Even turned down a piece of birthday cake at my Dad's 80th birthday this weekend. Maybe that is the key for my body. Hoping everyone else had a good week and is primed to finish strong next Monday!
                  Jall

Comment

Well........ I have almost regained the ground I lost last week. I weighed in at 276.8. One more week to see just how much we can lose in one summer, but Jeez, this is hard- to just maintain the loss! My right knee turned up sprained or something last Wednesday, and I have barely been able to walk on it for 6 days now, but it seems better this morning. I hope that everyone has a good week.

Judy A
                    Dx Dec 2005 - HOCM with gradient of 80at rest, provokable to 150. Alcohol Ablation on Dec 22, 2005.
                    Echos in April 2007 shows 0 gradient at rest, but gradient of 100 on provocation

Comment

I'm at 175 today. 2 lbs over starting weight I've been dealing with hurricane Irene here in the east - no major damage thank goodness, but lost power for 3 days & had to take care of 89 y/o mom. So...I ate a bunch of junk... dum dum! ButI guess my weight could be worse! Will check in next Monday for the finalee (sp?) and hope to be back to my starting weight... Best wishes, Jlaurie

Comment

223 Been steady for a few days so I'm accepting it. Next goal, 215! To heck with the labor day goals, I think we should restart the clock for another 3 months (Jall - Great job!) and congrats to everyone who tried!
                        Marc
                        Diagnosed @ 48
                        Saw Dr. Michael Debakey @ age 5 - "He's fine, just a little noisy"
                        Father to 3 boys 22, 25, 29 (all currently clear - pending genetics)
                        AICD - Valentines Day '08, Spark Plug replaced 11/14
                        After much research, I had a Myectomy @ Mayo for my 50th Birthday '08
                        Quietly going insane . . .

Comment

I weighed in at 275.2 this morning. a loss of 12.8 pounds since memorial day. This has been a LOT of WORK!! But it has been a great incentive to stay focused and not give up after a binge or two. I like the idea of keeping the thread/contest going. I suppose I am not supposed to go pig out at the family picnic today, huh? Well.... I will try! LOL Have a good holiday everybody! I, for one, am definitely going to be enjoying the cooler weather.

JudyA

Comment

Happy Labor Day to everyone. Times like these makes us appreciate the importance of a job and work.

So my final weight is 205 which was minus 11 pounds since this competition started and just over 5% of my body weight. Not near the 30 pound goal that I had, but better than a stick in the eye. I did learn or re-learn a few things:

1. As one of my mentors once told me, Life is Habit. I had certainly got into some bad habits and lost some good ones. I was eating out too much, snacking on bad things, and stopped keeping track of the number of calories I was eating every day. Hopefully I have gotten back into some good habits that I can carry forward for some time to come.

2. I have come to the conclusion that the standard norms for how many calories you can eat per day needs to be adjusted if you take beta blockers. When I tried to eat to about 1900 calories, weight loss was sporadic. At 1500, I got some traction. Supposedly, someone of my age/sex/weight ought to be able to eat around 2200 calories per day, but I think I gain weight at that level. Just a theory, but I am convinced that beta blockers lowers your metabolism and thus calorie needs.

3. Last thing that I learned is that processed sugar is to me what alcohol is to an alcoholic. I only had good weeks when I got militant about getting all processed sugars out of my diet. I am not sure that human were ever meant to eat so much processed sugars.

So I am going try and keep my good habit going and see how far down I can get. Thanks to all that participated and contributed. When everyone reports in, I will calculate the percentages and declare a winner, though anyone who tried is in part a winner.

Jeff
                            Jall

Comment

I'm ending at 174.5 today which is 1.5 weight gain from Memorial Day weight of 173. But I'm not really so unhappy, because with all that went on in life this summer, I could have put on a bunch of weight but didn't. Thanks to you all and this board for that. I do applaud those with losses and you should be very proud of your results from your hard work!! And for sharing your experiences. thanks Jeff for your leadership and thoughtful comments. I'm just mentioning that in line with changing habits ---I quit smoking 15 days ago. on the patch, and gum as needed. Hoping to use new ideas about food consumption to hopefully not gain now...& maybe even lose. Anyway, best wishes to all. Jlaurie

Comment

Checking in for the final tally.

Beginning weight: 252.8
                                Ending weight: 245.6

Not what I had hoped for by a long shot, but 7.2 pounds lighter nonetheless. I too intend to keep going and update my stats here periodically. When it finally cools down here it will be easier to stay active and I won't have the fluid issues to deal with.
                                "Some days you're the dog... some days you're the hydrant."

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
                                X