If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HCM Biggest Loser Contest

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

Jall
Jall
Major Contributor
Find out more about Jall
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: HCM Biggest Loser Contest

Came in 208 this morning which is the same as last Monday. Kind of expected that, as last week saw a 2lb drop and I am really at best knocking out a pound a week--so this week was probably just turning last week's dehydration into a real loss. A pound a week is essentially a 500 calorie a day deficit which points out how fragile a margin there is to this game. Two candy bars, one piece of cake, or an oversized entree and I lose a day.

Hang in there Marc. I think our bodies do fight back by learning how to do the same things with fewer calories. Maybe we should be mixing up our workouts to keep our body guessing. I also had been running under the assumption that 1900 calories a day was the minimum my body needed just for basic functions (basic metabolic rate or BMR). I wonder if someone on beta blockers where everything is slowed a bit might actually have a lower BMR than the standard tables would suggest.

Jeff
    Jall

Diagnosed with unobstructed HCM in 2004 after a bad experience playing tennis
    Graduated to obstructed HCM by Dec, 2008.

Life outside of HCM: Law, Photography, Tennis, Music, raising kids and camping

Comment

The joy of my digital scale is I can swing the numbers +/- 6 lbs by leaning forward or backwards. I'm being honest and taking an average. Down 2 lbs to 228, and I felt bloated from all the water I drank doing yardwork this weekend. Thanks to the ants I've abolished my stash of Mother's Taffy Cookies (My one weakness -only 2 a day, give or take a couple). We'll see if this affects the numbers.
      Marc
      Diagnosed @ 48
      Saw Dr. Michael Debakey @ age 5 - "He's fine, just a little noisy"
      Father to 3 boys 22, 25, 29 (all currently clear - pending genetics)
      AICD - Valentines Day '08, Spark Plug replaced 11/14
      After much research, I had a Myectomy @ Mayo for my 50th Birthday '08
      Quietly going insane . . .

Comment

Jeff,
        I wish I had only stayed the same! My weight for this week is 282.0. I know where I ate a little too much, and I missed my water pill last night. Actually I missed all my meds last night- I was down to the wire on refilling my month's pill containers and didn't finish until 3 AM, and decided to start fresh with morning meds. I guess these kind of mistakes are not ALL bad if we learn from them. I'll try to do better. Have a good week everyone.

JudyA
        Dx Dec 2005 - HOCM with gradient of 80at rest, provokable to 150. Alcohol Ablation on Dec 22, 2005.
        Echos in April 2007 shows 0 gradient at rest, but gradient of 100 on provocation

Comment

I'm at 173.6 tonight. I gained 2.2 lbs. And i do know where I went to heck with myself. = A box of cookies will do it every time! But my hands are on the mend from carpel tunnel surgery and healing well. And don't need to wear any bandages now & will be able to start exercising on eliptical soon. It's been hot here & no sign to let up. Weather rpt shows most of the country in heat wave. Wishing all a cool breeze and productive week! Jlaurie
          jlaurie5856
          Junior Contributor
          Last edited by jlaurie5856; 07-18-2011, 10:24 PM.

Comment

Just in case anyone was looking for a reward for a few good days of dieting - Be careful out there!

Cold Stone Creamery: PB&C Shake
            Calories: 2,010
            Saturated fat: 68 grams
            PB&C Shake (peanut butter, chocolate, and milk) has a full day's calories and 3˝ days' worth of sat fat into each 24 fl. oz. plastic cup.

The Cheesecake Factory: Ultimate Red Velvet Cake Cheesecake
            Calories: 1,540
            Saturated fat: 59 grams
            Each slice of cake, averaged close to three-quarters of a pound, has three days' worth of saturated fat. Only the Reese's Peanut Butter Chocolate Cake Cheesecake has more calories (1,610), though its saturated fat falls 18 grams short of the Ultimate's.

The Cheesecake Factory: Farmhouse Cheeseburger
            Calories: 1,530
            Saturated fat: 36 grams
            Sodium: 3,210 milligrams
            Holy Heart Attack Batman~!

Applebee's: Provolone-Stuffed Meatballs With Fettuccine and garlic bread
            Calories: 1,520
            Saturated fat: 43 grams
            Sodium: 3,700 milligrams
            Marc
            Diagnosed @ 48

Comment

Marc, now you know why restaraunts are reluctant to post nutritional information about their food. I am headed off for a week at Rocky Mountain National Park and am very apprehensive about keeping calorie counts within reason while on the road. Will definately avoid Cold Stone, the Cheesecake Factory and Applebee's. Unfortunately, Subway gets old after awhile...

Jeff
              Jall

Comment

Well I'm up 9 pounds as of this morning which obviously isn't bodyfat but nonetheless quite disturbing.

This heatwave in the northeast is not making me a happy camper.

HCM just plain sucks today.
                "Some days you're the dog... some days you're the hydrant."

Comment

Checking in a little early this week as I am about to leave for the mountains (and hopefully some cooler temps) and will have very spotty internet access until Monday next. Weighed in at 207.2 which is nothing to write home about but is some progress--almost a pound. Keep reminding myself of the race with the tortoise and hare. Anyway, good luck to all and keep at it.

Jeff
                  Jall

Comment

Well, no luck here. Back up to 164. Maybe water weight with all this heat & humidity... still trying tho, walking & going to the gym. Eating could be better...
                    Mer

Diagnosed 09/2009 @51 yrs old- HCOM
                    Myectomy 2/17/2011
                    Son & Daughter no findings as of yet (echos)
                    No family history determined yet -- 1 sister, 2 brothers & extended family.

Comment

• Re: HCM Biggest Loser Contest

Not posting a weight this week because with my current fluid issues there's really no way of knowing what my true weight really is. But I did want to check in and wish the rest of you the best of luck! Please don't take this the wrong way but with all the hurdles us HCM'ers face I kinda feel like I'm participating in the special olympics version of the biggest loser. At this point I'll be happy if I even lose half of my original goal.

Comment

I seem to be doing better or just getting lucky. My weight this morning was 278.6. I have had to pass up foods I like, but knowing I have to weigh in makes it easier to do that. I think that I have come to the realization that to lose weight I must be hungry sometime during the day for at least several hours. I have been used to following the see food diet. If I see food - I eat it!! Lately(before the contest) I have not allowed myself to become hungry before I eat. In the last few weeks I have tried to realize I am hungry, but not obligated to eat right away. I guess I'm thinking that being hungry will not kill me- but not getting this weight off just might....

Have a good week everybody!

JudyA
                        Dx Dec 2005 - HOCM with gradient of 80at rest, provokable to 150. Alcohol Ablation on Dec 22, 2005.
                        Echos in April 2007 shows 0 gradient at rest, but gradient of 100 on provocation

Comment

"like I'm participating in the special olympics version of the biggest loser." LOL!
                          Scale says 228. I'm going to be eating better this week (I keep promising myself this) and I'm pronouncing publicly that it'll be a 2 lbs loss next week.
                          Marc
                          Diagnosed @ 48

Comment

Sorry late to post. I broke a mercury thermometer in the bathroom last night. So all attention went to hunting down the mercury...but I think I got it all. Unfortunately current weight is 175 lbs. This is up 2 lbs from beginning weight. I have not been able to focus on diet or exercise. Have some medical issues with carpel tunnel surgery and now ear infection. Hoping to do better next time. Regards to all. Jlaurie

Comment

Originally posted by JudyA View Post
                              In the last few weeks I have tried to realize I am hungry, but not obligated to eat right away. I guess I'm thinking that being hungry will not kill me- but not getting this weight off just might...
                              Congrats on your progress Judy, and you make a very good point. We're just not accustomed nowadays to feeling real hunger before we eat.

Comment

You've actually given me a lot to think about, Judy. When I was in my best shape (and I'm reaching back through the mists of time here) I never ate if I wasn't hungry. Usually that meant skipping breakfast because I'm really not hungry when I wake up in the morning, and sometimes it would even be late afternoon or evening before I ate any food. Lots of folk are quick to say "you'll ruin your metabolism!" but that certainly wasn't the case with me. I have tons of energy throughout the day if I don't weigh myself down with food. Besides, that whole philosophy just doesn't make any sense from an evolutionary perspective, and recent studies are finding great benefits can be derived from calorie restriction and intermittent fasting. I think I'm going to stop trying to eat on any particular schedule, and just let my body dictate when it wants fed.
                                mtlieb
                                Brave Heart
                                Last edited by mtlieb; 07-27-2011, 06:06 PM.

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
                                X