If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HCM Biggest Loser Contest

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

Jall
Jall
Major Contributor
Find out more about Jall
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: HCM Biggest Loser Contest

I keep forgetting to post. I have lost 2 more pounds. @173#. I will on vacation for the next two weekends, hoping to stay on track.

Comment

Todays weight 172.6. Back up 1.2 lbs. Getting frustrated with myself but will try to use that for motivation. 1st month is a bust for me but there is still 2/3 of summer left to lose! Good luck to all!

Comment

Still at 162 lbs (starting weight)...
        Mer

Diagnosed 09/2009 @51 yrs old- HCOM
        Myectomy 2/17/2011
        Son & Daughter no findings as of yet (echos)
        No family history determined yet -- 1 sister, 2 brothers & extended family.

Comment

I don't know that we are setting any records here, but here are the top six cummulative 'biggest losers" based on the last posted results and expressed as a percentage of total body weight lost since the contest began:

Jeff 2.7%
          Jim 2.29%
          Marc 2.1%
          Judy 1.59%
          Tribabe 1.1%
          Scott .97%

If my math is off, I sincerely apologize and I am not trying to slight anyone not mentioned. There is still plenty of time and lots of pounds to lose. Slow and steady.
          Jeff
          Jall

Diagnosed with unobstructed HCM in 2004 after a bad experience playing tennis
          Graduated to obstructed HCM by Dec, 2008.

Life outside of HCM: Law, Photography, Tennis, Music, raising kids and camping

Comment

This past week I have set some real actual goals and kept them. I signed up at sparkpeople.com (I'm DeedeeVI on there) so I could track my fitness and nutrition and after inputting my goals, it tells me what my limits are and helps me with them. My wins have been that I've totally stayed within my nutrition limits and also reached my fitness goals. I haven't weighed myself since the beginning of cardiac rehab 3 weeks ago (and the doctor at rehab did it with me not looking, so I don't know it still) and I won't BE knowing it until my current wardrobe is very loose as that is the time I plan to have a look and see a number.

If my clothes are loose, I know the number will be pleasant to know and won't make me feel bad about myself, so that's why I wait. Meanwhile things are going GREAT. I have been working out really well even with a couple of minor injuries, we are safely and effectively working around them and they are not stopping my progress or getting me down. I am doing a very slow process tho, so a sorta contest I guess is not where I should even be as I plan on taking 18-24 months to lose 40 lbs. Maybe it can be done a lot quicker, I don't know, but this way is easy as long as I'm consistent and also I think going slow will result in avoiding loose skin. Nobody told me that, I just sort of made it up, but it makes sense to me.

Anyway - lots of super healthy food choices, this is truly easy and tasty. I'm quite excited about it even tho it's a long process... good luck to all that want better health and fitness! Any other sparkpeople on here?

xoxo Deedee
            »-(¯`·.·´¯)-> HCMA LOVES YOUR HEART <-(¯`·.·´¯)-«
            Murmur detected in childhood (3rd gen, 3 clear siblings)
            Chronic dyspnea, dizziness & palpitations (21+)
            Echocardiogram showing 3X thicknesses 2000
            Cardiac CT 2009 no significant obstruction or plaque (Yay!)
            Cardiac MRI 2010 showing septal scarring (Boo!)
            Verapamil 280mg a day (metoprolol starved extremities)
            ICD MAR 2010 - Canadian Trials St. Jude FORTIFY

Comment

I didn't post yesterday, but I weighed before I went to a family gathering(read... lots of yummy food). So... that weight was 282.00, a little bit down from last week. I am still doing more house work than normal, along with a few aches and pains- all muscular. A funny thing happened at the picnic. I don't take heat well. and it was basically an outdoor event. I think the heat was around 85ish with ohio's usual high humidity. Whenever I get hot, I sweat like crazy and then as it progresses, I just feel really anxious about when I can leave and get back to some air conditioning. Early in the activity I was feeling that way, I thought I was drinking enough water, but one of the kids had a squirt gun and I said- go for it. She wet my shirt front and another kid wet the shirt back and I felt great!! an hour later I was feeling kinda anxious again, and poured the water on myself and again felt wonderful. neither time was it cold water, but it did the job. I think I'll make that my new motto: Get wet before you sweat ( or something like that)!! Have a good week everybody.

JudyA
              Dx Dec 2005 - HOCM with gradient of 80at rest, provokable to 150. Alcohol Ablation on Dec 22, 2005.
              Echos in April 2007 shows 0 gradient at rest, but gradient of 100 on provocation

Comment

Checking in this week with 208, which is two pounds less than last week. I spent a lot of time outside hiking and cycling and in the yard this weekend, so I suspect some of this could be dehydration, but I am not arguing.

Jeff
                Jall

Comment

Nicely done, Jeff!

My weigh-in today: 246.4

My god this is painstaking work. LOL. I won't be discouraged though since I have lost 6.4 pounds since the contest started and that's nothing to be ashamed of. Not quite what I wanted, but I'm not going to hang my head in shame either.

Best of luck to everyone!
                  "Some days you're the dog... some days you're the hydrant."

Comment

My weight this morning : 279.6

I have tried not eating a late dinner, and not snacking in the evening unless I really need something and then I try to make it protein. I just picked up a book at the library today called "The End of Overeating"
                    it seems to be about how we have been hoodwinked into enjoying the really fatty high carb meals in the fast food industry, and how our bodies then crave that style of food, over really good healthy solid food. Maybe the psychological approach will work for me. I will let you know if its any good or not. Have a good week !

JudyA
                    Dx Dec 2005 - HOCM with gradient of 80at rest, provokable to 150. Alcohol Ablation on Dec 22, 2005.
                    Echos in April 2007 shows 0 gradient at rest, but gradient of 100 on provocation

Comment

Current weight 172.4. No major change so far. Still looking for work & had surgery for carpel tunnel on both hands this week. So I am surprized that I didn't gain weight because not exercising. --Maybe I should keep the bandages on my hands for the duration of summer...the harder to snack with!

Good luck to all!

Comment

For those checking in this week the standings are as follows, expressed as percentage of body mass lost since we started:

Jeff 3.7%
                        Judy 2.9%
                        Jim 2.5%
                        JLaurie .3%

If you have not checked in, don't quit. Its still anybodies game as a couple of good weeks could put one in the lead. Hang in there JLaurie--I could not imagine how hard it would be to focus on diet while going through hand surgery. Plus, you have a lot less weight to lose than the rest of us. Judy, you are absolutely correct about what the food industry has done to Americans in just our lifetime. Something like a third of Americans are obese and another third are classified as overweight. Unfortuanately, a lot of those are children. These "all you can eat" places, or single entrees that have as many calories as a person needs in an entire day are doing things to Americans that have never been seen before in the history of the human race. I am not sure we were ever wired to handle "all you can eat all the time." Back off the soap box--hang in there everyone and looking forward to great reports next week.

Jeff
                        Jall

Comment

OK so I bought batteries and started using the dreaded digital - Lucky for me it doesn't got into details. So I was pleased that it reported last week a 4 lbs loss from my Ol' faithful manual scale's previous report of 230. Yippee! Sadly, this didn't last. My digital now says 230. My guess was it was dehydration from all the heat we had or the cheescake I baked.
                          Marc
                          Diagnosed @ 48
                          Saw Dr. Michael Debakey @ age 5 - "He's fine, just a little noisy"
                          Father to 3 boys 22, 25, 29 (all currently clear - pending genetics)
                          AICD - Valentines Day '08, Spark Plug replaced 11/14
                          After much research, I had a Myectomy @ Mayo for my 50th Birthday '08
                          Quietly going insane . . .

Comment

Boy am I ever falling behind. Time to get serious and get this weight moving down again. I've been pretty good about counting calories and at my current intake I really should be seeing a steady two pounds per week. But as we all know things don't always work quite like we want them to in HCM land. Just gonna keep at it!

Comment

I have not moved at all. Maybe even gained a little. I am feeling better and I am cycling about 15 miles a day plus all the other activities I do. You would think that the swimming, racquetball,volleyball and cycling I do would amount to something!!!! I still feel great, and that is what I am hanging on to.

Scott
                              Every day is a present I was diagnosed when I was 38, I have asthma which made me assume it was ashtma, getting old, and being about 30 lbs over what I should be. I have days when I would rather not know. Myectomy club 3Jan06 CCF, my life is so much better!!!!

Comment

I'm getting a bit discouraged here. Even keeping my calories between 1800 and 2500 per day, which at my weight should be a solid two pound loss per week, the scale isn't budging. Still getting lots of walking in and limited weightlifting. I wonder if this is one of those situations where your body has been at a certain weight for so long it adapts and doesn't want to go below it? Still hanging in there but for the amount of work I'm putting into this, I really should be seeing better results. Hope everyone else is doing better!

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
                                X