If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HCM Biggest Loser Contest

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

Jall
Jall
Major Contributor
Find out more about Jall
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: HCM Biggest Loser Contest

Ok

I did put a new hole in my belt today. That makes me going down two hole sizes. Not much but it is something. I am also drinking about a half gallon of water or more a day.

Scott
    Every day is a present I was diagnosed when I was 38, I have asthma which made me assume it was ashtma, getting old, and being about 30 lbs over what I should be. I have days when I would rather not know. Myectomy club 3Jan06 CCF, my life is so much better!!!!

Comment

Here is a link to a good article on a Harvard Study regarding foods to avoid and foods to eat and their effects on long term weight loss or gain.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/0..._n_882962.html

Jeff
      Jall

Diagnosed with unobstructed HCM in 2004 after a bad experience playing tennis
      Graduated to obstructed HCM by Dec, 2008.

Life outside of HCM: Law, Photography, Tennis, Music, raising kids and camping

Comment

I am being weighed every week but I don't look... Don't want to chance feeling depressed about a number instead of how much fun the workouts are. Still planning to look any time my clothes are feeling too big though. So far my muscles are doing great but starting to feel it a little in elbows and knees so need to go slow and steady and be patient. Love the machines at cardiac rehab so over the weekend picked up an elliptical and treadmill to go with my recumbent bike and mini trampoline - both of which I might sell now... Don't have room for any of it, but tired of letting that dictate what I can have!

Was about 50/50 with my food choices this week. Some very healthy selections were diluted by preparation, cooking method or sauce/topping. Had a few bad choices mixed in as well, but practiced some portion control as well as mindful eating, so slow and steady hopefully "leaning into it" as they say.

Not sure I've accomplished anything yet, but my attitude and feelings have definitely changed, I am acting differently. Doing things lately that are out of character... being a little aggressive and competitive... going for things I wouldn't even try the last few years... and 3 solid weeks of no naps too. I can't believe how hard just staying awake all day is! But I've been finding ways to do it and that means sleeping at night and being rested and able to do things during the day... So for me, I guess that is a win.
        »-(¯`·.·´¯)-> HCMA LOVES YOUR HEART <-(¯`·.·´¯)-«
        Murmur detected in childhood (3rd gen, 3 clear siblings)
        Chronic dyspnea, dizziness & palpitations (21+)
        Echocardiogram showing 3X thicknesses 2000
        Cardiac CT 2009 no significant obstruction or plaque (Yay!)
        Cardiac MRI 2010 showing septal scarring (Boo!)
        Verapamil 280mg a day (metoprolol starved extremities)
        ICD MAR 2010 - Canadian Trials St. Jude FORTIFY

Comment

Turned out to be a bad week, or more particularly a bad weeked for me. Was down half a pound going into the weekend, but I came out almost up a pound (211.8). Just a weekend of excesses. The outside temp was 106 on Saturday and 108 yesterday. Despite the temps, did a lot outside, but was slamming fluids all weekend, some healthy, some not. Also did way too much foraging in the kitchen. So it is back to the drawing board. Hope everyone else fared better.

Jeff
          Jall

Comment

Jeff,
            No better luck here. Weighed in this morning at 283.4 I'm going the wrong way!! I babysat a 6 year old grandchild at my house and I have trouble getting him to eat, so I eat with him.

Since my youngest so, his wife and their 4 children have moved out( but left tons of stuff I have to deal with) stress is somewhat better, but now i need to do deep cleaning in my house, to help it look better. I've got crayon pictures on almost every wall.... and that is the tip of the iceberg. More activity makes me sore cause I haven't cleaned much for years. And then my grandson got me outdoors to take a walk and we walked to a store( me with my walker) about 5 blocks away. I had to stop whenever we found a shade tree, but after my back stops aching, I will probably be better off for the experience.

So its been a busy week. I hope I can recover and start losing again. All we need to do is "start again" , right?

Take care everybody!

JudyA
            Dx Dec 2005 - HOCM with gradient of 80at rest, provokable to 150. Alcohol Ablation on Dec 22, 2005.
            Echos in April 2007 shows 0 gradient at rest, but gradient of 100 on provocation

Comment

Today's weigh-in: 247

Just a pound this week but at least the scale's moving down again after being stalled for two weeks.

Best of luck to everyone!
              "Some days you're the dog... some days you're the hydrant."

Comment

I lost 1 lb also, down to 171.2. I'm happy for that. I didn't do as much walking due to rain-bad excuse as I have an elliptical machine inside the house. But was eating lighter most days. Need to also renew my commitment.
                I was going to say - "keep strong" everyone, but maybe just really be moderate??
                Good luck all and have a moderate week!!
                JLaurie
                jlaurie5856
                Junior Contributor
                Last edited by jlaurie5856; 06-27-2011, 07:57 PM.

Comment

Well I'm still at 162 lbs, my starting weight. Had in-laws here so of course I cooked up a storm. Still working on portions size. Hurt my back (just bending over!!) so did not go to the gym since Thurs. But am going today for sure...
                  Mer

Diagnosed 09/2009 @51 yrs old- HCOM
                  Myectomy 2/17/2011
                  Son & Daughter no findings as of yet (echos)
                  No family history determined yet -- 1 sister, 2 brothers & extended family.

Comment

Hello

244.6 I am going nowhere fast.

Scott
                    Every day is a present I was diagnosed when I was 38, I have asthma which made me assume it was ashtma, getting old, and being about 30 lbs over what I should be. I have days when I would rather not know. Myectomy club 3Jan06 CCF, my life is so much better!!!!

Comment

Hello

I found out something today. The sandwich (turkey and swiss) that I have been enjoying from the local Quik Trip (think 7-11) has 350 more calories then I thought. 5 times a week is 1750 calories which is a half a pound. This could be why I am going nowhere fast. I try to burn at least a thousand calories a day, and take in around 2750. This extra 350 a day has probably cost me that all expense paid trip to Maui!!!!

Scott

Comment

Down 5lbs to 230. Hoping its not just a fluke.
                        Marc
                        Diagnosed @ 48
                        Saw Dr. Michael Debakey @ age 5 - "He's fine, just a little noisy"
                        Father to 3 boys 22, 25, 29 (all currently clear - pending genetics)
                        AICD - Valentines Day '08, Spark Plug replaced 11/14
                        After much research, I had a Myectomy @ Mayo for my 50th Birthday '08
                        Quietly going insane . . .

Comment

Well I wouldn't expect any great results from me tomorrow morning. My stepdad passed away so I spent the week with mom and the family. I swear everyone within a twenty mile radius brought food to the house, which was so nice of them, but unfortunately I tend to eat a lot under stress. At this point I'll just be happy if I'm not back up to my starting weight! I refuse to get on the scale until tomorrow morning. If I don't post you'll know the news isn't good.
                          "Some days you're the dog... some days you're the hydrant."

Comment

Happy 4th of July - Hot dogs, Tri Tip, burgers, potato salad, that weird marshmallow & fruit cocktail mixture, apple pie, beer.
                            Be good and safe & sane!
                            Marc
                            Diagnosed @ 48
                            Saw Dr. Michael Debakey @ age 5 - "He's fine, just a little noisy"
                            Father to 3 boys 22, 25, 29 (all currently clear - pending genetics)
                            AICD - Valentines Day '08, Spark Plug replaced 11/14
                            After much research, I had a Myectomy @ Mayo for my 50th Birthday '08
                            Quietly going insane . . .

Comment

As of this morning, 210, which a pound off from my last low, but almost 2lbs from last Monday. Now if I can just practice a little portion control today, it should be a good week. Happy 4th to everyone.

Jeff
                              Jall

Comment

Hello

242.6 I know some of that is water loss, but I will take it!!!!!!

Scott

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
                                X