If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HCM Biggest Loser Contest

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

Jall
Jall
Major Contributor
Find out more about Jall
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: HCM Biggest Loser Contest

180.2 last night. I'm not complaining after B-day I had more than one piece of the banana split ice cream cake. Oh fettuchini Alfredo with shrimp and Chicken! I'm leveling a bit. Also, doing PT 2-3 times a week. I just need to work on strength and conditioning!

Mary

Comment

I'm not seeing the scale budge again so far this week but I'm not terribly upset as I changed my original plan a bit. Just couldn't bring myself to start eating meat again so I'm doing a reduced-carb vegetarian plan. I originally went vegetarian in August 2008 and I've seen so many positive benefits from it I decided to stick with it. My weightloss will be slower but I feel healthier so I suppose it's a trade-off. Hope everyone else is doing well!
      "Some days you're the dog... some days you're the hydrant."

Comment

Hello

Just some trash talk here, but I am thinking this week is mine!!!!!!!!!

Scott
        Every day is a present I was diagnosed when I was 38, I have asthma which made me assume it was ashtma, getting old, and being about 30 lbs over what I should be. I have days when I would rather not know. Myectomy club 3Jan06 CCF, my life is so much better!!!!

Comment

Hey everyone - Jeff - thanks for the encouragement! (Late response cause my computer was down) I'm doing a bit better this week-trying to make a point of portion control by not eating more than 1 portion as listed on the food item but alowing myself wider range of foods.
          Hope everyone's doing well. Till tomorrow...Jlaurie

Comment

Reporting in with okay results this week. Dropped 1.8 lbs to come in at 211 even. That is .83% this week and a total of 2.3% since we started.

A couple of good things this week. We had a birthday in the household and there were not one, but two cakes hanging around the kitchen all week, but I took not a crumb. Without our little contest, I am sure I would have been snacking on cake all week. Second, I can actually feel a small difference in the way clothes fit, so I am getting beyond just water loss.

Jeff
            Jall

Diagnosed with unobstructed HCM in 2004 after a bad experience playing tennis
            Graduated to obstructed HCM by Dec, 2008.

Life outside of HCM: Law, Photography, Tennis, Music, raising kids and camping

Comment

Today's weigh-in: 248.0

I downloaded a food tracking app to see where I'm possibly going over my calorie budget. Gonna really have to tighten my belt if I'm going to make goal by Labor Day. It does look like I'm through the initial water weight also so everything from here on in should be steady fat loss. The walking hasn't been a problem as I'm not buying a car until later this summer so I'm forced to use my feet.

Good luck to everyone!

Comment

Good for you mtlieb!!!! You have such discipline in making yourself walk instead of using a car! That'll help a lot. Well last week and this week I'm been at my starting weight 162lbs. At least I lost the 2 lbs I gained the first week... I'm doing better at cutting my portions, but not so good at my choices ---I just love to cook & love breakfasts! So gotta work on that. I'm up to 54 mins of working out now on machines at the gym. So hopefully will see some progress (weight loss) this week. Keep it up everyone--we'll get there and be more healthy!!
                Mer

Diagnosed 09/2009 @51 yrs old- HCOM
                Myectomy 2/17/2011
                Son & Daughter no findings as of yet (echos)
                No family history determined yet -- 1 sister, 2 brothers & extended family.

Comment

This morning's weight: 281.8

I ate many things iI should have avoided this week, but thankfully my weight went up AND came back down by this morning. My son's family has moved out, and I am really starting to enjoy my house again. Just my husband and I here now!!! Looking to increase my salad and vegetable intake from here on out. Have a good week everybody!!

JudyA
                  Dx Dec 2005 - HOCM with gradient of 80at rest, provokable to 150. Alcohol Ablation on Dec 22, 2005.
                  Echos in April 2007 shows 0 gradient at rest, but gradient of 100 on provocation

Comment

I had a slow start but current weight went down from 173.0 to 172.2, loss of .8 lbs. It's something but still less than 1% & I want to do better. I think the problem I'm seeing right now is consistency which I lack. Am paying more attention to portion control and exercising but not wholly consistent-every day!
                    However as others said - being part of this challenge is helping me pay attention. Jeff -good job in avoiding those cakes. The cookies are still here but I'm limiting any sweets to 1 portion/day.
                    Good luck to all!

Jlaurie

Comment

Can I start late? Finally had the knee repaired & I can walk again. I guess I'll get batteries for my digital scale - Sure is easier when I don't wear glasses and watch the needle jump around on the other scale. I stopped going to the Gym so I can't use that one (we had a love/hate relationship - the scale there, not the gym).
                      Marc
                      Diagnosed @ 48
                      Saw Dr. Michael Debakey @ age 5 - "He's fine, just a little noisy"
                      Father to 3 boys 22, 25, 29 (all currently clear - pending genetics)
                      AICD - Valentines Day '08, Spark Plug replaced 11/14
                      After much research, I had a Myectomy @ Mayo for my 50th Birthday '08
                      Quietly going insane . . .

Comment

Hello

If the weigh in would have been Saturday morning I would have been down 3 lbs,,,,,,,,,,but noooooo. So, I am now at 244.6 down a wopping .4 lbs since this has started. No junk food a freaking apple a day, etc etc. Very frustrating, but I still do feel good, and other people have commented that I am thinner, but maybe that is a comment about my hair.

Scott
                        Every day is a present I was diagnosed when I was 38, I have asthma which made me assume it was ashtma, getting old, and being about 30 lbs over what I should be. I have days when I would rather not know. Myectomy club 3Jan06 CCF, my life is so much better!!!!

Comment

^^^ Don't feel bad I've been in a two week stall myself, and you're still 3.4 pounds ahead of me regardless. Time to rethink my strategy and change things up a bit.

Comment

Hi everyone!

Congrats to all who have taken on the challenge! I have worked my way down the scale after my pregnancy in 2009. I'm currently very close to my ideal weight. A total of 50 lbs were gained in pregnancy, and 55 lost. Most of the loss was achieved by cardio and the Scarsdale diet.

I highly recommend the Scarsdale (with doc's approval, of course) to anyone who cannot endure exercise. It was created specifically for cardiac patients.
                            36 yr old w/ HCM,l novel variant in TNNT2 gene
                            2004 diagnosed
                            2004 ICD implant
                            DX with Low Cardiac Output - Heart transplant in discussion.
                            2009 changed to new wireless Medtronic after battery died
                            Father passed away 8/2000
                            Oldest sister passed age 44 11/2000
                            8/21/09 Son born, showing novel variant in TNNT2 gene

Comment

Welcome to the fray, Jenn!

Although I'm a veggie I seriously need to rethink my carb level and perhaps get more fat into my diet than I have been doing thus far.

Time to get Julia Child on my diet!

Comment

I am trying to keep a master table and running totals for everyone based on your posts, which I will summerize, but maybe I will pass this week based on most everyone treading water for the week.

I really understand Scott's frustration. I try and weight myself everyday and am amazed at the daily variations which can seem to occur for no apparent reason. Ideally we would do weight ins once a month and base them on an average of three or four measurements, but it would be too hard to keep focus with such infrequent reports.

I am reminded of an old science fiction show where the alien who upon first encountering a human referred to our species as an "ugly bag of mostly water" which is what we really are. If 80-90% of a human is water, and water levels can vary with how hydrated you are, your kidney function on any particular day, and the like, it is amazing that our weight does not fluctuate up and down more than it does. This is kind of a long of way of saying, don't get down if we don't see daily or even weekly progress. Don't declare victory if you have one good weight in. And even if the scale is staying put in the face of a good diet and exercize, it might be nothing more than replacing fat with muscle. If you feel better, its working.

So lets have a good week! (And yes, anyone can still join in on the fun)

Jeff
                                Jall

Diagnosed with unobstructed HCM in 2004 after a bad experience playing tennis
                                Graduated to obstructed HCM by Dec, 2008.

Life outside of HCM: Law, Photography, Tennis, Music, raising kids and camping

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
                                X