If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HCM Biggest Loser Contest

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

Jall
Jall
Major Contributor
Find out more about Jall
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: HCM Biggest Loser Contest

I'm in... Doing cardiac rehab a couple times a week all summer... Once I get my feet under me, I'll add in my own days and report percentages.

My variation on non-processed foods is this: If my grandmother didn't eat it I probably don't want to either and if she couldn't even recognize it as food, it's probably out of the question!
    »-(¯`·.·´¯)-> HCMA LOVES YOUR HEART <-(¯`·.·´¯)-«
    Murmur detected in childhood (3rd gen, 3 clear siblings)
    Chronic dyspnea, dizziness & palpitations (21+)
    Echocardiogram showing 3X thicknesses 2000
    Cardiac CT 2009 no significant obstruction or plaque (Yay!)
    Cardiac MRI 2010 showing septal scarring (Boo!)
    Verapamil 280mg a day (metoprolol starved extremities)
    ICD MAR 2010 - Canadian Trials St. Jude FORTIFY

Comment

Ok

Well............Between the swimming, cycling, other sports, no junk food, fruits, vegtables, drinking over a half a gallon of water a day, I gained 1.5 lbs. That would put me up .06%. I do feel good, and that means a lot to me,

Scott
      Every day is a present I was diagnosed when I was 38, I have asthma which made me assume it was ashtma, getting old, and being about 30 lbs over what I should be. I have days when I would rather not know. Myectomy club 3Jan06 CCF, my life is so much better!!!!

Comment

Hi Everyone,

Not off to a good start -- gained 2 lbs now at 164. I guess having a friend visit over Memorial weekend (5 nights) & our camping trip this last weekend, didn't help. But I'm back on the wagon to regular exercise & trying to eat better. We'll get there!!
        Mer

Diagnosed 09/2009 @51 yrs old- HCOM
        Myectomy 2/17/2011
        Son & Daughter no findings as of yet (echos)
        No family history determined yet -- 1 sister, 2 brothers & extended family.

Comment

Okay, here are the week one new totals:

Jim 1.7%
          Judy 1.4%
          Jeff 1.2%
          JLaurie .09%
          Scott adding muscle
          Mer adding muscle
          DeeDee getting started

Its very early in the game and to Scott and Mer, we have to assume you are just adding some muscle (which is heavier than fat). Once the loss starts, I'll refigure the percentages.

Looking forward to more progress next Monday when everyone reports in. Also, its not too late to join the race. Its kind of like the story from the Bible about the workers in the field--everyone is paid the same no matter when you show up. I also heard someone say yesterday on Cable news (therefore if must be true) that for every pound you lose, it takes four pounds of pressure off of your knees.

Jeff
          Jall

Diagnosed with unobstructed HCM in 2004 after a bad experience playing tennis
          Graduated to obstructed HCM by Dec, 2008.

Life outside of HCM: Law, Photography, Tennis, Music, raising kids and camping

Comment

Good post, Jeff. My weightloss is rarely linear and I can guarantee you that there will be weeks this summer that I post a gain rather than a loss. Those are often followed by a big loss the following week though so it's all good. I like that you are tabulating the results weekly. That way anyone can join at anytime and still be part of the fun. Good luck to everyone!
            "Some days you're the dog... some days you're the hydrant."

Comment

Sorry I haven't posted this week. I haven't lost but I haven't gained. Busy week for us, lots of softball games to go watch. Husband is on a men's leisure team, daughter(19 yrs) on a co-ed team, son (23 yrs) on 2 teams.

Comment

Checking in with really paltry results for this week. Now at 212.8 which is .18% for the week and 1.4% overall.

I had to eat out a lot this week and went with the salads. Just had to take wild guesses on the calorie counts for those. the greens are easy (almost nothing), but everything else on the salad was a big unknown, I guess the lesson for the week was just because it sounds healthy does not make it so. Anyway, I am still heading in the right direction and will make better progress next week.

Jeff
                Jall

Comment

Weighed in this morning at 281.2. I am having to watch myself on eating whenever I am bored. Trying to watch portion size. I'm not sure if I am getting too low on fluids. I was having some chest pain yesterday so I made some popcorn and drank soda. Felt better. I will drink more this week so I don't flirt with dehydration, but I love having skinny feet and ankles!!! (skinny ankles makes it so much easier to get around)

JudyA
                  Dx Dec 2005 - HOCM with gradient of 80at rest, provokable to 150. Alcohol Ablation on Dec 22, 2005.
                  Echos in April 2007 shows 0 gradient at rest, but gradient of 100 on provocation

Comment

Weekly weigh-in: 248.4

Not sure how it's possible for the number to be exactly the same as last week (you'd think there would be at least a tenth of a pound fluctuation either way) but I double-checked it and the scale says what it says. So no change for me this week.

Judy: You are kicking butt!

Comment

I don't think I can play this game as I refuse to weigh myself unless my clothes start to fall off me, in which case I'd be curious enough to want to step on a scale... but I am not sure I could talk myself into doing that unless something like clothes falling off me got me curious first, LOL! It takes a special kind of something to step on a scale of your own free will, I don't think I can do it unless something is really pushing me hard. Actually I was planning on working out all Summer and weighing myself at the end of it... at which time I was also hoping I'd need a whole new wardrobe... but that is not the game here. Since I don't watch enough TV to actually understand the game, I didn't figure that out early on. Well I watch Big Bang Theory, but that's about it... that explains my lack of understanding the game I guess.
                      »-(¯`·.·´¯)-> HCMA LOVES YOUR HEART <-(¯`·.·´¯)-«
                      Murmur detected in childhood (3rd gen, 3 clear siblings)
                      Chronic dyspnea, dizziness & palpitations (21+)
                      Echocardiogram showing 3X thicknesses 2000
                      Cardiac CT 2009 no significant obstruction or plaque (Yay!)
                      Cardiac MRI 2010 showing septal scarring (Boo!)
                      Verapamil 280mg a day (metoprolol starved extremities)
                      ICD MAR 2010 - Canadian Trials St. Jude FORTIFY

Comment

Deedee I can't speak for Jeff our contest organizer but I'm pretty sure everyone is welcome here! I've never watched an episode of Biggest Loser in my life but I think the general idea is getting positive group support from our fellow HCM'ers and to just do the best we can. If you just want to post here for encouragement and ideas and tally your results at the end of the summer I'm sure that would be fine!

Comment

DeeDee: If there was a trip to Maui on the line, we might be sticklers for rules, but there is no trip and hence no rules. I need the discipline of having to post a number every week. It has, and will continue to help me avoid temptations, but if you want to avoid the scale and only want to post whether you had a good week, or a bad week, or just want to offer support or suggestions, then that's fine as well. Different strokes for different folks.

Jeff
                          Jall

Comment

I went back up to 173 = 0% lost. It was a stressful week with a second interview for a job which it now looks like didn't get. Being out of work is good, time-wise, to get in exercise every day(almost), but have to deal with stress differently than eating cookies etc. problem is they're( the cookies) in the house due to other family member. Don't want to take away from them -Will have to look at this... but imagine would have gained more if I hadn't done any exercise.

Comment

I got nothing!!!!!!!!!!!! Maybe I should go give blood.

Scott
                              Every day is a present I was diagnosed when I was 38, I have asthma which made me assume it was ashtma, getting old, and being about 30 lbs over what I should be. I have days when I would rather not know. Myectomy club 3Jan06 CCF, my life is so much better!!!!

Comment

Well if I am doing the math right, Judy is the winner this week with a .5% weekly loss and 2.3% overall. The rest of us, pardon the pun, were pretty much flat lined.

That is okay. For me at least, I can rock a long at the same weight and seem to make no progress and then suddently one day I get a big loss on the scale. If you look at the body as a machine that has constant energy in, and energy out, that does not seem to make sense, but that is sure how it works for me. So maybe everybody is due a good pop here if we stay the course.

To JLaurie, I hear you on the food laying around the house. My college bound son is home for a few week and his mother is taking the chance to fix all of his favorities, none of which are particularly low calorie. So far, I have dodged the chocolate cake sitting on the kitchen counter. You can drop hints about keeping that kind of stuff out of the house, but I figure there will always be temptations and the key is learning to just deal with them. Good luck with job search!

Let's keep our eye on the prize and keep pressing.

Jeff
                                Jall

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
                                X