If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HCM Biggest Loser Contest

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

Jall
Jall
Major Contributor
Find out more about Jall
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: HCM Biggest Loser Contest

Welcome Judy. I have definately taken many rides on the weight loss roller coaster. Like you, I lost a good deal of weight a few years back but for the past year have found myself back on the uphill climb. Before reaching any new highs, this opportunity came along, so I think I will start heading back downhill again. For me, the viliian is always sweets. I'll get to a goal weight and stay there for a time, and then eat a piece of cake and let the sweet tooth get the best of me. Maybe we can figure out the answer to that riddle by Labor Day.

Also welcome Tribabe. 1000 cal/day is a serious limit. I don't judge, having no medical training, I just undertand how quickly you can run through a 1000 calories. Stick to Lisa's God made verse man made, as anything processed is going to have lots of added calories. I also acknowledge the unfairness that a guy can eat 2000 cal/day and being reasonably active, will lose weight, while a gal might stay the same at that level, depending on activity. Sorry about that one.

Jeff
    Jall

Diagnosed with unobstructed HCM in 2004 after a bad experience playing tennis
    Graduated to obstructed HCM by Dec, 2008.

Life outside of HCM: Law, Photography, Tennis, Music, raising kids and camping

Comment

Originally posted by Jall View Post
      I am ready for the inevitable early success (mainly water weight) followed by the grind of slow steady progress.
      I know what you mean Jeff. I'm not even a week into my diet and I've dropped five pounds, which of course is mostly water weight. But as I have a tendency to carry way too much water anyway... I'll take it. It's still five pounds of extra weight I didn't need and that little bit of incentive up front does help.
      "Some days you're the dog... some days you're the hydrant."

Comment

Originally posted by scottonbike View Post
        I am training for the bike ride across Iowa so I am getting about 30 miles a week in, this will change to 80 when the weather gets better.
        I really miss my Specialized Rockhopper but unfortunately I had to sell it for rent several years back when I was in heart failure and about to be evicted from my apartment. It's all good though. Now that I'm on the mend I'll buy an even better one. Good luck to you on your Iowa ride!

Comment

Great idea Jall!!! After my myectomy in Feb I've been thinking of joining something like weight watchers to lose the extra pounds I've gained in the last 4 years since I started having HCM symptoms. Before then I was working out after dinner at the gym doing an elliptical for 45 minutes then weights --that worked for me. I went down from a size 10 to an 8 fairly quickly. So my plan is to increase my exercise working up to an hour of aerobic plus weights, use portion control and better food choices. Remember it doesn't have to be a full hour (or whatever you are doing) at one time -- ten minutes at a time throughout the day works too

Current weight 162
          Goal weight 130

There is also a free website you can log your food intake, exercise and other stuff to help you reach your goal. It has a large list of common foods to select & their nutritional values, as well as you can add your own recipes or foods if you do not find it in the list. When you log your food intake it gives you a summary of the nutrition, fat, calories, etc. You'd be surprised how quickly everything (including fat) adds up! You can track your current weight, goal weight, exercise and calorie burn as well. It's a great tool if you can keep it up.

http://www.fitday.com
          Mer

Diagnosed 09/2009 @51 yrs old- HCOM
          Myectomy 2/17/2011
          Son & Daughter no findings as of yet (echos)
          No family history determined yet -- 1 sister, 2 brothers & extended family.

Comment

Mer, welcome to our summer challenge. It's funny that we all need to lose about thirty pounds. Perhaps that is the standard HCM weight gain? LOL. I wish everyone here good luck on their challenge! Despite the title... nobody is a loser here.

Comment

Okay, it is Game On. Recall the challenge works this way. Once a week, post your progress and we will keep the thread going to Labor Day. Post Sunday nights or Monday mornings and I will tabulate list of the participants, ranked by percentage weight loss on Monday evenings. I know many have already been hard at work and next Monday's totals ought to be impressive. Even if you don't want to give out your real weight, just post a percentage and join in. We trust you. And even if you can't get up the will power to avoid the Memorial Day goodies, join whenever you can.

Also feel free to chime in with your successes, failures and challenges. This next week will be tough on me. The temps are up near a 100 after a very temperate spring, which makes walking at any time but very early morning tough. We are also taking a road trip to rescue my son from exile in California (he is actually graduating from an arts oriented high school outside of LA). That means avoiding the IN and Out Burger places that have become a regular treat on our treks out to Cali. Nothing like an animal style burger and shake (the Californians probably know what I am talking about). But I will overcome and look to post a big number next monday.
              Jall

Comment

I'm not even a Californian and I know the joys of In and Out Burger. Good luck to all!

Comment

Well, I guess I've already been on the losing weight wagon. Since, my myocarditis episode I've gone from 208 to 181. But, I'm not really trying my Crohn's is flaring and food is no longer appetizing. No one seems to care about it but me it's not that I don't want to lose the weight I just want to make sure it is healthy. My body makes me eat healthy if I eat something high in fat I pay dearly. If I eat a big meal my heart hates me. Everything seems to taste like the aftertaste of a diet soda! So, the only thing I drink is water or the occasional frozen lemonade. But, at what point do we start worrying about the weight loss. My lightest adult weight has been 178 I am 3lbs from that. According to my BMI etc. I should be ideally 155 but people are starting to notice that at 181 I'm not looking health they say.
                  I'm just not sure what to do anymore.

Mary

Comment

Monday weigh-in: 248.4

Had some crazy fluctuations in water weight the first week (the heat didn't help) but that seems to have stabilized now and I ended up with a 4.4 pound loss for the two weeks. My doc says that's a good rate but I would like to see more.

Comment

After really two weeks, i went from 216 to 213.2 for a 1.2% loss. It is a start, and could be little more than water, but every journey starts with a few steps. We got back from California late last night after several days on the road. Really hard to eat well while on a road trip, so I am looking forward to getting back into my regular diet and routine.

Way to go Jim! Hope some more people report in weekly progress today.

Jeff
                      Jall

Comment

Excellent work on your part also! Hey, even if it ends up just being a few of us participtating in this, I still like the public accountability. Keeps me on my toes.

Comment

I am more than a week late checking in here, but better late than never. On Memorial Day weekend I weighed myself for the first time in long while.
                          Starting weight is: 288

Today I weighed myself at 283.8. Like the rest of you, I figure the first pounds are a lot of water, but I'll take it!! My biggest hurdle is exercise- right now I do not have room for any in home exercise equipment. But when my son, his wife, and their 4 children move out in two weeks, I am finding a used recumbent exercise bicycle somewhere on craig's list!!!! At that time I will also be losing an enormous amount of stress.

Right now, I use a wheeled walker to walk more than a short distance, because my peripheral neuropathy has progressed to the point that I can not hold my balance very well. I look forward to getting my feet and legs in better condition and then go from there. Have a great week everybody, think lite!

JudyA
                          JudyA
                          Ventricle
                          Last edited by JudyA; 06-06-2011, 12:34 PM. Reason: omission
                          Dx Dec 2005 - HOCM with gradient of 80at rest, provokable to 150. Alcohol Ablation on Dec 22, 2005.
                          Echos in April 2007 shows 0 gradient at rest, but gradient of 100 on provocation

Comment

Hello

Well............Lets just say that Memorial Day Week-End was very good. I think I gained about 5 lbs and have taken about 3 off. I will have to see what happens tomorrow.

Scott
                            Every day is a present I was diagnosed when I was 38, I have asthma which made me assume it was ashtma, getting old, and being about 30 lbs over what I should be. I have days when I would rather not know. Myectomy club 3Jan06 CCF, my life is so much better!!!!

Comment

Well, we will wait on Scott for the official total for week one, but thus far it looks like Jim is leading with 1.7%, Judy next with 1.4% and i am bringing up the rear (as usual) with 1.2%.

Judy, impressive results without dong wind sprints or running a marathon. I could not tell if your stress will drop from the lack of house guests, or getting the exercise bike, but in any event stress is a big deal. My stress goes up, and so does snacking, so reducing the stress is really going to help.

Mary, I don't anything about Crones, but I would like to borrow your lack of appetite for about two months. Anything longer than that is obviously not a good thing and I wish you the best of luck in finding some answers.
                              Jall

Comment

Wait for me! My starting weight was 173 and tonight I'm at 171.4. I'm not sure how to figure the % but glad I lost something. For me the next few weeks will tell because I tend to go up and down 3-4 lbs or so. I have started walking 1.1 mile almost every day (to be increased) and quit Diet soda-which was making me More hungry in the long run-increased water. But also have alot of stress from job interviews. Not to make excuses - Just hoping to continue in the right direction. have a good week all!

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
                                X