If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HCM Biggest Loser Contest

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

Jall
Jall
Major Contributor
Find out more about Jall
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: HCM Biggest Loser Contest

LindaSo - Regarding longer or twice a day. Its important to try to increase your time. As you get better conditioned, you'll find you may sweat less. Also, its important to change it up every so often so you don't get board. My old gym had tons of old magazines so I often got lost reading and 13-18 miles would pass in no time.
    Marc
    Diagnosed @ 48
    Saw Dr. Michael Debakey @ age 5 - "He's fine, just a little noisy"
    Father to 3 boys 22, 25, 29 (all currently clear - pending genetics)
    AICD - Valentines Day '08, Spark Plug replaced 11/14
    After much research, I had a Myectomy @ Mayo for my 50th Birthday '08
    Quietly going insane . . .

Comment

Re: sweat
      I love to sweat! For a long time I didn't have the capacity to work my body hard enough to break a sweat, so when I first started sweating at rehab, I was offered a towel, and I replied "No thanks! I'm just going to enjoy it!" and I meant it too.

Being able to work hard enough to sweat is a miracle for some people. For me, it's more in the "Wow, didn't see that coming" category, but still, I just love it and feel proud that I got myself to this point and continue to push.

Down to 209 this week for a total of 24 lbs so far. Looking forward to the 25 milestone and of course crossing over into ONEderland, really excited to know it's around the corner.

Re: posting weight
      If you told me I would do that six months ago, I would have laughed and laughed... but when you know you can succeed, you want credit for the work, and the numbers are the numbers, but in the end, that's all they are. You are so much more.
      »-(¯`·.·´¯)-> HCMA LOVES YOUR HEART <-(¯`·.·´¯)-«
      Murmur detected in childhood (3rd gen, 3 clear siblings)
      Chronic dyspnea, dizziness & palpitations (21+)
      Echocardiogram showing 3X thicknesses 2000
      Cardiac CT 2009 no significant obstruction or plaque (Yay!)
      Cardiac MRI 2010 showing septal scarring (Boo!)
      Verapamil 280mg a day (metoprolol starved extremities)
      ICD MAR 2010 - Canadian Trials St. Jude FORTIFY

Comment

Below is a link to a study and the summary section that explains why fast food is killing America. I wish I better understood the discussion of the "insulin resistance" response, but what I do get is that low fiber, calorie dense, high fat foods do a number on your bodies regulation of energy use and fat storage. What scares me is how much of the characteristics of "fast food" have spilled over to the ready made foods we get at grocery stores. I don't do much fast food anymore, but it looks like I am going to have relook at my whole diet.

Fast Food, Central Nervous System Insulin Resistance,
        and Obesity
        by Elvira Isganaitis, Robert H. Lustig
        http://atvb.ahajournals.org/content/25/12/2451

Here is the summary that concludes the study:

Dramatic increases in fast food consumption over the past 30
        years have occurred in parallel with the twin epidemics of
        obesity and insulin resistance. Some of the properties of fast
        food, including its high glycemic index and its fatty acid
        composition, induce hyperinsulinemia and the development
        of insulin resistance, both peripherally (increasing energy
        deposition into fat), and centrally. Of course, fast food is
        merely the most extreme example of what has become the
        typical Western diet, so this phenomenon has implications for
        all patients with weight gain. Hyperinsulinemia is the primary
        initiator of CNS insulin resistance, which may in part be
        responsible for leptin resistance. This promotes reduced
        energy expenditure and continued food consumption in an
        attempt to make up for what the brain sees as an inadequate
        leptin level. Furthermore, CNS insulin resistance interferes
        with meal-associated insulin effects on dopamine reuptake
        and the extinguishing of the hedonic or reward system at the
        nucleus accumbens, which continues to promote food intake.
        Through failure of these two central mechanisms, fast food’s
        promotion of CNS insulin resistance revises a negative
        feedback mechanism into a dysfunctional feed-forward system
        to promote continued energy intake (Figure 3). Therefore,
        it is our contention that fast food, based on all its
        inherent properties discussed, must not be viewed as a
        marker, but rather as a primary etiologic agent in the genesis
        of the current obesity epidemic.
        Jall

Diagnosed with unobstructed HCM in 2004 after a bad experience playing tennis
        Graduated to obstructed HCM by Dec, 2008.

Life outside of HCM: Law, Photography, Tennis, Music, raising kids and camping

Comment

I'm down to 204 this week. Getting really excited about being so close to my first mini-goal of 199.

CAN'T WAIT - but will have to as I don't expect to get there until the end of the month. Just in time for the Xmas party season... going to enjoying being seen for a CHANGE!

Comment

I have not posted on this thread for some time, but have kept to my new eating habits developed over the summer. Mainly, I don't eat any "overt" sugar, meaning no sweets, cakes, pies or the like. Its almost impossible to get rid of all sugar. If you don't believe me, just look at the food labels on most store bought food. In sticking with that, I was down to 198 this weekend. Progress is painfully slow, but its progress none the less.

Just wanted to drop a note in anticipation of T-giving day and the period between T-giving and Christmas. I have read that Americans gain on average 5-10 pounds between T-giving and the New Year. I have also read that the average T-giving meal is 3000 calories (that is almost a pound of fat if not burned off). I intend to enjoy a little turkey (white meat only), maybe some sweet potatoes (not too much butter) and a few green beans. Passing on the sugared up cranberries and Chess pies. I also am getting my game face on for not gaining any weight before the end of the year, and would like to even drop a notch of two. If you are still sticking with the program, I am with you in thought and spirit.

Jeff
            Jall

Comment

OK..one holiday down and I kept on track!
              Day before Thanksgiving - was gonna go to the gym but too crazy with oven drama - yes my oven died day before Thanksgiving!
              Thanksgiving - ate too much!
              Day after - to the gym... and had a great work out and sweat off all that extra salt!
              The next day a nice hike in the woods - about 1.5 miles
              the next day horse show in morning followed by the rest of the day on the couch! OK i was TIRED!

Monday after - back to the gym and have now officially worked my way up to a jog! did 1.6 miles in 27 minutes! and my goal... is a 6 pack by christmas! Not sure if I will hit it or not.. but sure gonna try!

Down a total of 38lbs from a year ago.. want to drop 10-15 more.. but hit a plateau! time to kick it back up!

Lisa
              Knowledge is power ... Stay informed!
              YOU can make a difference - all you have to do is try!

Dx age 12 current age 46 and counting!
              lost: 5 family members to HCM (SCD, Stroke, CHF)
              Others diagnosed living with HCM (or gene +) include - daughter, niece, nephew, cousin, sister and many many friends!
              Therapy - ICD (implanted 97, 01, 04 and 11, medication
              Currently not obstructed
              Complications - unnecessary pacemaker and stroke (unrelated to each other)

Comment

How's the plateau going Lisa? I was on one for weeks but I finally got down to 198 (YAY! Below 200 FINALLY!!) and how I busted it was I ate pizza 3 or 4 times and lasagna once and stopped exercising for almost a week. So apparently I was undercutting my daily calories a little too much and my body didn't want to let go of anything!

Been at the new weight for a week or so. Been doing my workouts and getting right up to the line on my daily cals, so hopefully not more stalls, although I'm keeping inside my parameters, I WAS doing it with salads and veggies and lean meats and what not and this week I'll be adding some champagne and ferrero rochers and such - but I will just keep it balanced with some workouts. Will just increase water to avoid salt buildup, for sure.

Getting to a mini-goal during the holidays is good enough - I am patient! Down a total of 31 lbs and looking forward to doubling that by Summer... here we go!

Deedee

Comment

Way to go DeDee. I also worked for a long time to get below 200 and am now bouncing around between 195-198. My next big goal weight is 180, with 190 being a short term target. There is a lot of satisfaction in reaching an interim goal, and it is important to have achievable short term goals and grander long term goals. Being in a bit of a rut, I am starting a very modest running (actually jogging) program to up the calorie burn.

Anyway, I have gone two holidays--Halloween and Tgiving with no sweets. Got plenty of motivation to make it through Christmas. The Bowl season (New Years), however, will be a challenge.

Best of wishes for a great new year to everyone.

Jeff
                  Jall

Comment

I was doing so well and then the holidays. Seems like 10lbs came on fast - nearly overnight. At first I thought is was CHF and water cause I thought I ate clean - alas, it was blubber.
                    While I don't make resolutions, I'm very focused now. Joined WW online to see how it worked and pleased with it so far. I won't be posting images or stats. But once I hit my goal - I'll let you know.
                    Marc
                    Diagnosed @ 48

Comment

Marc

Do you have a i phone or droid? Really cool apps for WW. I am thinking about joining (again)

Scott
                      Every day is a present I was diagnosed when I was 38, I have asthma which made me assume it was ashtma, getting old, and being about 30 lbs over what I should be. I have days when I would rather not know. Myectomy club 3Jan06 CCF, my life is so much better!!!!

Comment

I'm a ludite, My cell looks like a brick & my microwave say "RadarRange" on it. I rent my house out to the Studio's when they need an authentic 70's House (replete with orange shag carpeting & avocado green cabinets). Once I get an income, that will be on my must have list.
                        OnLine is fairly easy - I had to travel for my son's surgery this week and it was 500 miles away & just kept a log & will input it when I get a chance. I agree the Apps make it easy to consult on the fly - Although I appreciate all the Fast food places I stopped at had calories listed, and its easy to avoid the no no's.
                        Marc
                        Diagnosed @ 48

Comment

Ok,,,,, better late then never! I am joining you guys in the weight loss journey after being told by Dr I need to lose 40-50 pounds!!!! Im in extreme shock and its kinda depressing. Ive always struggled with my weight and never been really comfortable with it, but now to hear a Dr tell me is devestating! So here I go......

Starting weight: 187
                          Goal weight: DR GOAL 135.... MY GOAL 160
                          I havent been 135 since high school and 4 kids ago!

Comment

I'm down to 176 8 more lbs to go. Why is this the hardest?

Mary

Comment

Thank you Jeff for starting this, great idea! I'm officially declaring my participation! I have also lost weight before, and actually started dieting again two weeks ago so I have already lost 6 pounds,therefore my goal will be modest. As of today I weigh 178 pounds, my goal is 15 pounds, but I'll take what ever I can get! My plan started just like Jeff, a food journal, which I have already given up! You have inspired me to go and get it and write down the food I ate for breakfast. So I will continue to write down what I eat, cook low fat and low calorie food, try to get through Memorial day without too many bad choices, and get through the impending birth of my second grandchild with out any hospital vending machine stress eating! I also love to bike ride and will try to get in more rides.

Good luck to all!
                              Pat

Comment

So I just realized that I responded to a thread that was started last year! So I posted my weight for nothing!!!!!!

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
                                X