If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HCM Biggest Loser Contest

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

Jall Find out more about Jall
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HCM Biggest Loser Contest

Following up on thread in the Lifestyles Section on “What Food do You Eat,” I would like to start the HCM “Biggest Loser” thread. The competition would run from Memorial Day to Labor Day. The contest is pretty simple. Submit your starting weight, your goal, maybe a short description of your plan, and follow up with posts once a week with your progress. Each Monday evening, I will try and post the running total of everyone’s progress. The goal is to have the highest percentage of weight loss. I will continue to keep the thread active as long as others participate. There is no prize, other than taking a strain off your heart and joints. And yes, you could do this by yourself in private, but the competition and public commitment will keep willpower afloat when someone offers you that jelly donut.

As an example of a first post, my starting weight is 216 lbs. My goal is to lose 30 lbs by Labor Day (basically 10lbs a month, or a third of a pound per day). My plan is to carry a food journal and not put anything in my mouth unless I have a reasonable estimate of its caloric content, and to eat less than 2000 calories a day. At the same time, I plan to try burn more calories by walking the dog every day, throw in some bike rides and light weights as time permits. I am sure there are more sophisticated plans, but this has worked for me in the past. Many of you probably have better plans and by no means do I suggest my plan is better than anyone else’s.

Yes, in a civilized society, its taboo to post your weight in public. But nobody here cares, and we certainly all understand that it is hard to control your weight if you can’t go out and hit the stair climber every day or walk the block without being sob. That being said, if posting your weight is the only thing keeping you from participating, just multiply your true weight by a constant (like .9 or .7 or .5 or whatever) and report your weekly weight loss using the same constant. Since only you know the constant, nobody will know your real weight and since the competition is based on percentage loss, the playing field is still level for everyone.

There are lots of things I can’t control with HCM, but I have some control over how much excess baggage my heart has to lug around. So if you are in the same boat, use this week to build your resolve, make a plan, pick a goal, gird your loins, and join the challenge.

Jeff
    Jall

Diagnosed with unobstructed HCM in 2004 after a bad experience playing tennis
    Graduated to obstructed HCM by Dec, 2008.

Life outside of HCM: Law, Photography, Tennis, Music, raising kids and camping

Re: HCM Biggest Loser Contest

I love this idea... in fact I submitted a proposal to the mods last week to start something exactly like this and have not heard back from them yet. HCM has it's own unique set of problems concerning weightloss and I think it would be of great benefit to everyone if we can have our own weightloss challenge for the summer. Mine was also a Memorial Day through Labor Day sort of deal and my goal is to lose 30 pounds in 3 months. If the higher-ups approve it... I am in!
    "Some days you're the dog... some days you're the hydrant."

Comment

I don't see any reason that you guys can't have a weight loss challenge. I say go for it. And don't get discouraged if you can't lose 30 lbs. in 3 months. That is alot. It took me over a year to lose 22 or so. But men seem to have an easier time of it.
      Daughter of Father with HCM
      Diagnosed with HCM 1999.
      Full term pregnancy - Son born 11/01
      ICD implanted 2/03; generator replaced 2/2005 and 2/2012
      Myectomy 8/11/06 - Joe Dearani - Mayo Clinic.

Comment

There goes my summer of fun!
        Marc
        Diagnosed @ 48
        Saw Dr. Michael Debakey @ age 5 - "He's fine, just a little noisy"
        Father to 3 boys 22, 25, 29 (all currently clear - pending genetics)
        AICD - Valentines Day '08, Spark Plug replaced 11/14
        After much research, I had a Myectomy @ Mayo for my 50th Birthday '08
        Quietly going insane . . .

Comment

SLOW and steady.
          I know it has been a while since i posted on the topic so here ya go.
          I love the idea of supporting each other in weight loss!
          I started 2 years ago - knowing the pounds were creeping on and the size 6 I wore 8 years ago had long since stopped fitting. When I moved to a size 12 as my go to size I was not happy - NOT that size 12 is BAD.. its is just not good for MY body and my heart. My "best size" was a 6 - But i am now 42... and mother nature is a Witch (with a B). My goal 2 years ago was to get back to an 8 in a year - I failed!
          in fact - i started a gym.. and did not see a change in weight (no loss but no gain). A year later - i reviewed all my cardiac meds and made some changes.
          (July 2010) - in October I had lost 5 lbs.. but had STOPPED going to the gym because I was getting use to the new meds - my eating was good - "If God/nature made it I would eat it - If man messed with it I left it alone!" I drank LOTS of water. In December I was feeling very good and started back to the gym WITH my husband - and months later with my daughter - In 6 months I have dropped 30lbs and would like to get rid of 10-15 more. I am in a size 8 nearly all the time.. and yes a few size 6's are fitting now!!!!!!!!!!! With the 10 more gone.. i may actually get back to my "best size". But here is the KEY.. It takes us (those with HCM) a little longer then the average bear to drop the weight.
          I say this next part very LOUDLY.... in hopes all will listen!!! Teach your children well - show them good diet and exercise and encourage them to manage their weight and stay ACTIVE. It is easier to maintain then to loose! Teach them YOUNG.. and keep it going!
          Hey look its almost 6pm.. time to go to the gym! hugs to all! And YES lets keep the biggest looser string going.. but Heck no i am not posting my weight.. just my sizes and pounds to loose as my goal... (vain I am and I know it!)
          Hugs and healthy choices to all,
          Lisa
          Knowledge is power ... Stay informed!
          YOU can make a difference - all you have to do is try!

Dx age 12 current age 46 and counting!
          lost: 5 family members to HCM (SCD, Stroke, CHF)
          Others diagnosed living with HCM (or gene +) include - daughter, niece, nephew, cousin, sister and many many friends!
          Therapy - ICD (implanted 97, 01, 04 and 11, medication
          Currently not obstructed
          Complications - unnecessary pacemaker and stroke (unrelated to each other)

Comment

Thank you for following thru with your idea. I'd definately like to try. Starting weight is 173lbs and like to lose 30 lbs as well. It seems to be the lucky #. Planning to do more exercise- walking and eliptical. more fruit and veggies and water, less sweets --a trip to the book store needed for some guidance as it's hard for me to set my own limits w/food. thinking abt the South Beach diet mentioned previously. Glad to see others interested! Thanks again,

Jan

Just readf your post Lisa-maybe aiming too high but keeping goal at 30 for motivation...
            Last edited by jlaurie5856; 05-23-2011, 06:56 PM. Reason: Add on info

Comment

Okay here I go...

Starting weight (May 23): 252.8
              Goal weight (Sept. 5): 215

I'm intentionally over-shooting my goal so don't be alarmed. 215 is simply the weight at which I was diagnosed in 2003 so it seems a good number to aim for. I am ditching my vegetarian ways for the summer and doing a low carb whole foods plan similar to what Lisa has talked about in the past. I will post weekly updates with the occasional menu as well, just to keep my butt accountable. For exercise I will be doing lots and lots of walking with some limited weightlifting, not to exceed 50 pounds as per my doctors orders. My ultimate goal is to look good for when I start interviewing in the Fall, and my self-reward will be a new wardrobe.

Jim
              "Some days you're the dog... some days you're the hydrant."

Comment

Welcome Jim and Jan. Looks like we are building a good core of fellow travelers. Making the public commitment to get back on the wagon was liberating for me. I could not count the number of times I have “secretly” started a diet only to fall off the wagon with equal stealth the first time someone brought a cake to the office. Hopefully, more will officially join in, but if not, maybe they can in spirit.

Looks like everyone has modestly aggressively goals. I know that I did not put on the pounds overnight and they will not come off that way either. There will be lots of ups and down. I can stick to a good eating plan for many days and the scale won’t budge a micron, then all of sudden it drops several pounds. Will never figure that one out. And I am ready for the inevitable early success (mainly water weight) followed by the grind of slow steady progress.

June 7 is the first report date. Let’s make it a great day.

Jeff
                Jall

Comment

Congrats to all who feel well enough to exercise! My goal is to walk 20 minutes around a store by myself without feeling the need for an ambulance! But HCM can't take my joy from me so I do as much as I can. My Best to all and prayers for all.

Comment

To those who do not feel up to starting a formal exercise program may I offer this alternative (because TRUST me I have been where you are and for some of you it is only a temporary place).
                    Start small - Good eating habits - Fresh non-processed foods and portion control. DO NOT FORGET TO EAT - skipping a meal is not a weight loss plan it just messes up your metabolism. Drink lots of water and skip the soda - even the diet stuff! Remember if nature made it - it is better to eat - if man messed with it leave it alone!!.
                    MOVE if you can walk for 10 minutes do it every day.. and try to increase by a few minutes a day and see how far you can go.. start small.. build up!

It took me a few years ...yes a few years to find what worked for me.. and there were days I limited my steps because I simply could not walk far - today i am heading to the gym 4-5 days a week and OMG what is that on my tummy.. could they be abs? WTH? (thats what the heck for you none texters out there). SLOW and steady will win this race....

be careful out there.. and remember to talk to your cardiologists about your weight loss plans!

Hey - i am going to recruit people to this movement at the meeting!!
                    hugs to all
                    Lisa
                    Knowledge is power ... Stay informed!
                    YOU can make a difference - all you have to do is try!

Dx age 12 current age 46 and counting!
                    lost: 5 family members to HCM (SCD, Stroke, CHF)
                    Others diagnosed living with HCM (or gene +) include - daughter, niece, nephew, cousin, sister and many many friends!
                    Therapy - ICD (implanted 97, 01, 04 and 11, medication
                    Currently not obstructed
                    Complications - unnecessary pacemaker and stroke (unrelated to each other)

Comment

Ok

I have already dropped about 12 lbs on Weight Watchers. I am stuck right now, on their system but not loosing. I will not complain (even though I am ) because my total cholesterol is 180. My intentions are to drop about 5 to 8 lbs a month until I am under 200. This is going to take me some time, but I figure slow is the way to go. I am training for the bike ride across Iowa so I am getting about 30 miles a week in, this will change to 80 when the weather gets better. I am also swimming about 2 miles a week and still playing a lot of sports. I am also keeping my heart rate at a max of 130ish.

I will post the last number of my weight which is a 5. I will set my goal at 26 lbs. Old world that would be one stone.

Scott
                      Every day is a present I was diagnosed when I was 38, I have asthma which made me assume it was ashtma, getting old, and being about 30 lbs over what I should be. I have days when I would rather not know. Myectomy club 3Jan06 CCF, my life is so much better!!!!

Comment

I am also trying to lose weight. I recently started the Nutrisystem plan, but it's very similar to what Lisa says. You have one of their meals for breakfast, lunch, and dinner, but you also eat loads of veggies & fruits. I don't think I'll do this more than a couple of months because it's expensive, but this month it's 1/2 price. I also started a water aerobics class tonight. I liked it! I've never done anything like it before and I was able to go at my own pace without huffing and puffing. One class down, 7 to go.
                        Reenie

Husband has HCM.
                        3 kids - ages 23, 21, & 19. All presently clear of HCM.

Comment

Scott, welcome to the chase. I am sure we all have to draft off of you from time to time. 200 lbs is actually a big marker for me. The owners manual of my stump jumper recommends that any rider weight less than 200lbs, I routinely violate that suggestion, but will no doubt feel better when I am in compliance with Specialized's specs.

Jeff
                          Jall

Comment

This sounds like a great way to keep motivated. I was 191 in Feb. and started on a diet and exercise program, I have lost 16 pounds so far. I am now 175 pounds. My plan is to eat no more than 1000 cal a day and walk on the treadmill 2 hours a day. (this is working for me so far). I plan on drinking 96 oz. of water a day. My goal is to lose 30 pounds by labor day. My motivation is my son's wedding Sept. 30th. Good luck to all.

Comment

I want to be a part of this great idea, but will post my weight and goals etc closer to Memorial day. I lost 50 pounds about 2 years ago and felt great. Unfortunately I let stress push me into binge eating and put all but 6-7 pounds back on. I really want to feel lighter again!!! Thanks for providing the venue!! JudyA
                              Dx Dec 2005 - HOCM with gradient of 80at rest, provokable to 150. Alcohol Ablation on Dec 22, 2005.
                              Echos in April 2007 shows 0 gradient at rest, but gradient of 100 on provocation

Comment

Working...
                              X