If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cycling

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

scottonbike Find out more about scottonbike
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Cycling

200m, thats about 320km, a long day-trip. In Norway we have an even longer one-day race. I's from Trondheim to Oslo, about 560km (350m). I did joined once. It's on the main road and we used road bikes with 29" wheels and slicks. I did it once just to have done it, but normally i dont like cyckling on roads with heavy traffic. The biggest problem was that i almost fell in to sleep during the night. The solution on that problem was a nice cup of 50/50 coffe and sugar. If i drink something like that today, with my HCM, the ticker would go bananas.

I checked the RAGBRAI site, and it looks like a nice adventure. Bon Voyage tonbra.
    Last edited by Gabriel; 10-30-2010, 05:28 AM.
    Gabriel
    ------------------------------------------------
    I'm Norwegian and live in the Oslo area.
    Genetic HOCM diagnosed in 2008 (at 49) My kids are tested and found negativ
    Medical treatment:
    Isoptin Retard 120mg twice a day
    Amlodipin actavis 5mg once a day
    Albyl E 160mg once a day
    Septal myectomy and insulation of the pulmonary veins at 10 April 2012
    Interests: bicycling, skiing, yachting, ex-marathon'er and offcourse my kids future in general

Comment

Hello Susan

To comment on your use of a heart rate monitor during exercise. I used to have one myself, but it's now broken. I always felt a bit restrained by the chest belt, and i had a feeling that it did slide downwads, so i never liked to use it.

But, i will now purchase a new one so i can follow my HR. My doc's havent told me how far up i can go (i have no ICD "installed"), but it's always interesting to see how my body respond to training. It can also give a good hint to slow down if the HR is higher than normal during training. That can meen that my body is tired or that i have an infection in my body.

I have, by nature, a fearly low max-pulse. It used to be around 180-190 (max-pulse can only in litle degreed be increased by training), but during a stress-test it was not more than 170 (after i started with my med.)
      My resting-HR is also by nature low. In daytime sometimes low-40. During a Holter monitoring i had as low as 32 when i was asleep.

My last monitor was a POLAR and i'm keen to hear what kind you use, and if you, or other, have any recomendations regarding brands and/or models.
      Gabriel
      Medical treatment:
      Albyl E 160mg once a day
      Interests: bicycling, skiing, yachting, ex-marathon'er and offcourse my kids future in general

Comment

Hi Gabriel,
        I use a simple Timex heart rate monitor. I bought the least expensive one I could find and it has more features than I'll use. I guess I probably should program it to "beep" when I get to the maximum heart rate that I've been ok'd to reach.

On the bicycle, I use a Garmin "Edge" that measures all kinds of other stuff besides heart rate. (My boyfriend gave it to me when he bought a better model that you can connect to the computer.)

But if I didn't have the Garmin, the Timex would work fine and I think you can buy a bracket so you could mount it on the handlebar so you could see it more easily.

I agree about the chest strap -- sometimes I feel it restricts my breathing. But, I know I have hit a HR that caused my ICD to "monitor" me. So, I almost have no choice. I don't want my ICD to shock me because I pushed it way too hard.

I don't like to mention details because everyone is different, but my ICD "monitors" me at 190, and would deliver a shock if I hit 214. I believe different people have different settings. My HR is usually about 70 when I first put my HR monitor on and I don't think my HR has ever been as low as yours.

I do wonder whether beta blockers would allow me to run a little faster without getting my heart rate so high. I am not on any meds and I guess you never go on meds unless you really must.
        Susan
        Diagnosed at age 53 in April 2010 (after having been
        "cleared" several times)
        Into running & cycling - cleared to continue at mild to
        moderate level
        Extensive family history
        Lost my mom, aunt and nephew to SCD
        St. Judes "Fortify VR" ICD implanted 8/30/2010 "Ces't Watt"

Comment

Hi Susan

Thank's for your information. I will look at the Timex one, but i'm sure it gonna be one with a lots of function (i'm a bit techno/gadget freak)

About meds; i take them every day as my doc prescribe.
          I dont know if beta blockers will lower your max-HR like my med do. Thats why i cant go as fast as i would because the muscles dont get the required amount of oxygen transported by the blood.
          Gabriel
          Medical treatment:
          Albyl E 160mg once a day

Comment

Hi!

It´s amazing to know that we can turn our condiction better with myectomy. I had a cardiac arrest in December, 2012 and now I had an ICD in my chest in Hospital do Coração do Brasil (Brasília, DF - Brazil). I started to practice Mountain Bike since November, 2018, but I feel dyspnoea. Let´s fight to live!
            Last edited by marcelo_batista; 02-20-2019, 04:38 PM.

Comment

Glad to see fellow cyclists here. Have you had a myectomy also? I had one over a year ago, but the benefits in terms of endurance were slight, although my heart sounds better.

Wish you the best...

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
              X